Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Fragile Things    Poems from Fragile Things
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poems from Fragile Things
 Login/Join

posted
Hi - First time for everything. I generally do not blog, no particular reason. Anyway just needed to say I saw Mr. Gaiman speak for the first time last week in Berkeley - he was delightful. I hadn't really known what to expect - but Mr. Gaiman read a poem from Fragile Things about finding one's self inside a fairy tale. This was truely one of the loveliest peoms ever read aloud to me (and everyone else there), I felt it was true and I cried. Thanks for letting me share.

Posts: 1 | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not the only one then. I cried as well during Neil's reading of "Instructions" partially because my mom used to always ask my sister and I when we weren't 'pleasant' whether we would rather have diamonds or toads come out of our mouths. It was a relief to finally have a comeback of 'diamonds are sharp and cut as well.'

I've never experienced hearing a poem I am fond of being read by the poet in person before. And it was kind of overwhelming, like going to a rock concert but in a completly different way.

oh and yes, welcome to the board.

It's like loitering, but mean. -- Jon Stewart on lurking

Posts: 141 | Location: "east williamsburg" | Registered: August 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ellie-o
posted Hide Post
I love that poem so, so, so much. Just had to say that. OSmile I've been going to a storytelling festival every year for nearly ten years now, and it just fits like a glove. If only real life were as simple!

Posts: 1 | Location: Aberystwyth in term time, native Mancunian | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I so very much agree this poem is done wonderfully. I love this one alot. =)

Even reading it I knew it was Neil Gaiman.

All I have to say to him is bravo, in writing this kind of work brings loads of inspiration to others who write stories/poetry.

Posts: 1 | Registered: September 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of endless_nights
posted Hide Post
It's just so beautiful. I haven't gotten a chance to go to a reading by Neil yet Frown, but I know I'd be crying! "...Diamonds are sharp and cut as well..." Gaiman writes some of the most gorgeous lines. They stand out as stories themselves.

*...Listening to the Chambers of your Heart...*

Posts: 53 | Registered: September 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Fairy Tale" is the most beautiful description of life and nature I have ever had the pleasure of reading. I can only imagine how this piece would sound coming from the writer directly. I would love to hear Neil Gaiman speak, however, living in a small town in the States that seems very unlikely. Guess I will have to continue to apprecciate his work in print.

Cierra G.

Posts: 1 | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cierra:
I would love to hear Neil Gaiman speak, however, living in a small town in the States that seems very unlikely. Guess I will have to continue to apprecciate his work in print.

I used to live in a small town in the States! And I've heard Neil speak a gazillion times. If you really want to hear him, you go to one of his appearances.

Posts: 37699 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
"Instructions" is one of my favorite poems. I'm taling a storytelling class and I just had to share that poem with everyone.

I love Neil's voice so much that I tend to buy his audio books more than his regular books. He does "Instructions" on the "Speaking in Tongues" CD.

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the Penitent
Picture of Artguy C.
posted Hide Post
Tooting my own horn- I was lucky enough to see Mr. Gaiman (and Dave McKean) speak in Minneapolis at the Walker Museum-- where he read "Instructions" as well. ((Lurkergirl is right-- it's a lot like going to a rock concert-- only different).
I've rented the Audio book from my library 3x now! ((probable indicator that I should just buy it-- but, it's become a lottery to go the GAI shelf and see which audio is available that week.) <---Fragile things is especially nice being broken up into small fragments for easy digestion.
I Love it!!

Posts: 2666 | Location: Greater or Lesser Minneapolis, MN USA | Registered: March 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post