Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Stuff and Things.  Hop To Forums  Tour Forum    An Evening with Neil Gaiman: Has anyone gone to one of these events?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An Evening with Neil Gaiman: Has anyone gone to one of these events?
 Login/Join

Picture of MightyPen99
posted
Hello! I am doing some research on potentially going to one of the "An Evening with Neil Gaiman" events, and was just curious to know if anyone had gone to one of these before and would be willing to provide some information on them:
-How long do they typically last?
-What generally goes on during them?
-Is there any time before or after the event during which Mr. Gaiman sign books?

I appreciate any information you guys can provide thank you! Big Grin
-MightyPen99

Posts: 2 | Registered: February 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just came back from a show in Phila and I was disappointed because of the costs. He is one of my daughter's favorite authors so I took her there for her birthday. I bought the best tickets available ($68) because an article in the newspaper gave the impression that it was an interactive show and involved audience participation. In actuality it was just an author reading and he answered some questions that audience members wrote on cards before the show. I don't mean to imply that it wasn't good - it was and he is funny and we both enjoyed it; however we could have enjoyed it just as well from cheaper seats. I heard Toni Morrison at the library for a much cheaper price. If you really like him, you will enjoy the show but I would get the cheap seats.

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I didn't answer all your questions. The show was about an hour and a half. I don't believe that he actually signed books in person; they were selling his books in the lobby and the latest book - Trigger Warning - was a first edition and already presigned. Most of the rest were paperbacks.

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MightyPen99
posted Hide Post
Okay, that makes sense. Like I said, I had just been looking in to trying to go to one eventually and I like to kind of know what to expect. Thank you for the insight, and I will take your advice into thought whenever a show comes around closer to home! Smile

Posts: 2 | Registered: February 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Neil,

I thought that I would share a story that involves you. My youngest Daughter is 9 years old and submitted a story and was one of three children selected to read their stories at the local bookstore. After she finished the woman organizing called her family up to the front and is where Neil Gaiman became the center of everything.

They asked my Daughter how she thought up her story. She said that her favorite book was "Fortunately the Milk" by Neil Gaiman and that she got the idea from that book. The woman then asked my Sara, my 12 year old Daughter what her favorite book or maybe it was author. Sara said that her favorite author was the "grave Yard Book" by Neil Gaiman and the woman then asked me and I said "American Gods" was one of my favorite books". The woman and the audience loved that a 9 year old, 12 year old and 48 year old have the same favorite author.

She then asked us to wait there which of course horrified Sara, being 12 and not liking all of the attention but they then brought up a whole set of Neil Gaiman books and talked about you for quite awhile giving your history and good things that you have done.

Anyways, it was an odd experience and I thought that you might enjoy hearing it. Thank you for all of your writings. I used to read to the girls each night before they went to bed until the 12 year old decided she was to old for such things but I still read to my youngest Maya every night. She has asked me to read " Fortunately the Milk" so many times that I could probably recite it by heart. It is my favorite time of the day.

Thanks,

Chris

Posts: 1 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 22, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post