Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Stuff and Things.  Hop To Forums  Tour Forum    Neil In Edinburgh
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neil In Edinburgh
 Login/Join

Wigber
Picture of Mr.Push
posted
wednesday 19th august
neil gaiman - fiction and graphic novels
4.30pm RBS Main Theatre £9/£7

Neil Gaiman's awe-inspiring creativity sculpts uniquely provocative stories. From his multi-layered graphic novels to his illustrious Newberry Medal-winning The Graveyard Book, his imagination knows no limits. Norman Mailer described his Sandman series as a 'comic book for intellectuals'. Meet this master weaver of tales in an exceptional event. Ideal for families and absolutely not to be missed.

thursday 20th august
neil gaiman & ian rankin
8.00pm RBS Main Theatre £9/£7

Scintillating conversation with two phenomenally successful writers who share their thoughts on narrative and the power of storytelling, and give a unique glimpse of their graphic novels.Today Ian Rankin launches his debut graphic novel, a noir thriller starring the iconic private eye John Constantine. Neil Gaiman's Sandman series was hailed the greatest epic in the history of comic books by the LA Times. Absolutely not to be missed.

http://www.edbookfest.co.uk/

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Keep Things Strange

Posts: 1769 | Location: WGB GLASGOW CHAPTER | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has no member title
Picture of His Noodle Girl
posted Hide Post
Oh God...I must!

__
I like it maybe 63 percent!

Posts: 15475 | Location: Bouncing round in bathrooms! | Registered: October 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of saharial
posted Hide Post
argh - am busy that week with a kids camp (if i am allowed the time off even)

i expect a ful report off anyone who goes!! Big Grin

------------------------------------------
A giant frog chased me and it had teef!

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2139436 - for all the books i've read and am reading/reviewing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/saharial/ - for my photography ^^

Posts: 466 | Location: Duma Key | Registered: May 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
I would quite like to go. But can't make up my mind. I think it is because it's a long way, would mean staying up in Scotland, and have promised to stay at home this year and sort out house (and not have a holiday away from home).

Plus, I'm not drawn to this as much as I think I should be. And I don't know why?

But I am sorely tempted by Edinburgh film festival next week, when I know I can't go as I have work and have already booked my holidays!

Strange, my wants. Sometimes I just don't understand myself.

I hope all who go have a marvelous time.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2709 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would love to go to this, I'm in Birmingham and could fly up.

I assume this is an hour talk about his work etc, anyone know if he will be signing ?

Posts: 5 | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wigber
Picture of Mr.Push
posted Hide Post
there are two appearances, one seems more family, so i guess it'll be coraline tinted.

the other is split with ian rankin. not sure how that will work. but i guess discussion between the two, comparing techniques or whatever.

i've been to a couple of things at the edinburgh book festival before. normally you need a ticket for an event which will be in one of the temporary theatres. the author usually does a reading then takes questions. it usually works out about an hour or so. they then move to one of the temporary book stores, where they normally do a signing.

also worth noting, the tickets went on sale today.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Keep Things Strange

Posts: 1769 | Location: WGB GLASGOW CHAPTER | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Neil Gaiman & Ian Rankin event has already sold out, I've just booked for wednesday 19th I haven't been to a Neil Gaiman event / signing for over 10 years. Looking forward to (hopefully) getting my Absolute Sandman, Vol. 1 signed Smile

Wigber
Picture of Mr.Push
posted Hide Post
shit. thats fast.

i'd look into getting hotel or whatever.
because its during festival and its going to be crazy.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Keep Things Strange

posted Hide Post
I was a bit concerned about flights and hotels and almost considered not going due to the cost, however I've seen sense and as I going on my own (the wife didn't want to come) I'm staying at the University of Edinburgh accomodation, not the most plush of 'hotels' by any means but will be fine for me for the one night

posted Hide Post
So who's going tomorrow and wants to meet up ? I'll check this thread later

posted Hide Post
Quick report from the event, I had a wonderfull time, both at the Gaiman event and in the city during the festival, sadly I only had 1 day and didn't get to meet up with anyone from this board, nevermind. Some photos for you all :- Photos

Wigber
Picture of Mr.Push
posted Hide Post
we were there, but didn't really get online during that time.

i know there were others at the night after, the one with rankin, don't know if they got pictures?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Keep Things Strange

Companion to owls
Picture of cloverheart
posted Hide Post
Nope. Don't own a camera. (I know... but I got a phone bound with cellotape that was an old model when I bought it 6 or 7 years ago, what did you expect?)

Posts: 11802 | Location: home? | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post