Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Stuff and Things.  Hop To Forums  Tour Forum    San Diego Commicon
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

San Diego Commicon
 Login/Join

Village Elder
posted
ok, the con starts July 17th or so this year. Neil is showing up this year, so I'll ask now, a full half year beforehand, who plans on going?

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Doughmaster
Picture of TheatreGeek
posted Hide Post
I do not plan on going...but you never know, a lot could happen in 6 months!

(this will probably only irk you, Grand Moff, so I apologize)

~That Theatre Chick, aka Amy of the Lost Ark

"Brody: Oh yes, the Bible speaks of the Ark leveling mountains and laying waste entire regions. An Amy who carries the Ark before her is invincible."

Posts: 11747 | Location: Michigan | Registered: August 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Xith
posted Hide Post
I'm definitely planning on going to Con. So many good comic creators! It should be lots of fun.

Posts: 110 | Registered: March 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smiter of the Stupid
Picture of Saint NightWalker
posted Hide Post
<holds his hand up>

As if that wasn't expected...

Posts: 2507 | Location: SoCali, USA, Earth | Registered: June 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
yes, I was expecting you

[This message was edited by GMZoe on April 20, 2003 at 12:56 AM.]

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of azuredivina
posted Hide Post
and hopefully every day, since i got the full-membership. i basically got it just so that i don't miss the opportunity of maybe shaking neil gaiman's hand.

Posts: 16 | Location: san diego, ca usa | Registered: April 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smiter of the Stupid
Picture of Saint NightWalker
posted Hide Post
Right on. The more, the merrier. Any idea what hotel you're in, GM?

You don't count, Azure, since you live there... <grins>

We should all go somewhere and cause havoc on a slow day, though.

Posts: 2507 | Location: SoCali, USA, Earth | Registered: June 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
haven't reserved hotel yet.
As for wreckin havoc, I should note that Zoe is also going to the con, so no bars or adult ent. for me!

posted Hide Post
Ooh! I'll be going all days, I believe, but does anyone know when Mr Gaiman is going to be there? I will take my decrepit copy of Neverwhere for him to sign. Smile

Posts: 6 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is no custom member title here.
Picture of The Lord of Nothings
posted Hide Post
I very much doubt I could go to the con. If i can go, I will.
If the Epic thing works out, i'll be there as a creator. The chances of that are so unlikely as to be impossible. As are the chances of me going. But if i do go, i'll tell ya'll... any word on who else is going to be there? Neil's great, but i'm assuming some of my other favorites will show up too...

~~~~~~~~~

"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy is increased, and thus do we refute entropy."-- Spider Robinson

http://lon.blogspot.com -- Its a slightly less eloquent me.

Posts: 16135 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: June 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
www.comic-con.org is the official site, and they have a current list of exhibitors, special guests, etc. Unfortunately my computer has decided to be particularly obstinate today, so I can't copy and paste you the whole list. (Sorry!)

EDIT: Ugh, their site sucks. I keep getting a variety of error messages. Ok, well, here's a partial list (tentative):

Confirmed guests for 2003 include:
    Charles Berberian & Phillippe Depuy (Monsieur Jean)
    Frank Bolle (Apartment 3-G, Doctor Solar)
    Sal Buscema (The Avengers, The Incredible Hulk)
    Will Eisner (The Spirit)
    Neil Gaiman (American Gods, Coraline, Sandman)
    Stan Goldberg (Archie and Silver Age Marvel Comics artist)
    David Goyer (Blade/Blade II screenwriter)
    Nalo Hopkinson (Brown Girl in the Ring, Griffone)
    Steve Jackson (Writer, editor and game designer)
    Sid Jacobson (longtime editor of Harvey Comics)
    Larry Lieber (Silver Age Marvel writer/artist and the artist of the Spider-Man newspaper strip)
    Dave McKean (Sandman)
    Carla Speed McNeil (Finder)
    Monte Moore (painter/artist)
    Terry Moore (celebrating 10 years of Strangers In Paradise)
    Grant Morrison (The Filth, X-Men)
    Wendy and Richard Pini (celebrating 25 years of Elfquest)
    Alex Ross (Marvels, Kingdom Come
    Julius Schwartz (DC editor emeritus)
    J. Michael Straczynski (Bablyon 5, Amazing Spider-Man)
    George Woodbridge (MAD Magazine artist)

Those are just the official ones. Lots and lotsa people show up who aren't scheduled that just want to hang out or promote stuff... I think last year, Arnold Schwartzenegger and James Cameron were both there and showed a clip from T3, but it wasn't on the schedule or anything. And Kevin Smith usually comes the whole time just wandering around and generally basking in geekiness. My dad hung out with Matt Groening all day one day. Smile

[This message was edited by Amidalai Lama on April 30, 2003 at 02:29 AM.]

Posts: 6 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kli
posted Hide Post
I'll be there. [Like that's a freaking surprise to anyone. I've only been there the last 24 times.] Poor Neil. It's gonna be even worse than the last time he showed up and needed a bodyguard.

Posts: 54 | Location: San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
hi Kli, yeah, I took it as a given you'd be there, but I also took it as a given you probably weren't posting here anymore (last saw you on this site in 2001!)

Picture of KiLL
posted Hide Post
I wish I could go to but maybe next year. A couple guys I work with are going. Check out their stuff at web page if you are interested. Art is hidden away under 'sketch'

Cheers!

I got her brother....damn!

Posts: 5 | Location: KOREA | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of azuredivina
posted Hide Post
hi, guys. i met the man. *grin*

i shook his hand, he signed my volume one with "diana, sweet dreams... neil gaiman." i also had my picture taken with him. then he and a woman sitting next to him ogled at my shirt, wondering about its origins. it was a Sandman shirt they'd never seen. it has the quote "we do what we do because of who we are. if we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves." it pictures the image of Dream clasping his hands together, fingers interlaced, and looking semi-evil. a mike dringenberg, i think. the lady asked if it was a hot topic shirt, to which i grimaced and said "yes, unfortunately." then neil was pointing out instances in the drawing of Dream that he said he had never even noticed before. "oh my god! i never even saw that! his hands look funny!" they must have stared at my shirt for like half a minute. it was funny and a bit awkward! haha. but he was really awesome. before meeting him, and just knowing what i knew of him from the few images i'd seen of him, and the few descriptions of him as not being a big fan of large gatherings based on his work, or doing signings, i figured he'd be introverted and shy. but he wasn't. he seemed warm and pleasantly outgoing. also, from his pictures, he didn't seem so british to me, but upon meeting him and studying his face, i made up my mind that he looked totally british! actually, the instant i saw him approaching the table, i thought, "that's him! oh my god! he is totally british." he was wearing his black leather jacket and some cool blue tinted shades. he reminded me of john lennon.
on sunday, when i attended his and dave mckean's (this guy was shy) panel discussion, he even told us about a time he went to a sushi restaurant with a friend. he had a doll of himself with him; an artist had made it for him and had just given it to him. his waitress asked if it was of him, to which he said yes. she was amazed. "are you... john lennon?" we all laughed. he had told he wasn't. but afterwards, she asked for his autograph and said, "don't worry, i don't tell anybody." he still signed his own name. the story was cool.
he also elaborated on some great subjects within the sandman. and how he had originally thought of Death as an ice blond woman. but when dringenberg gave him the first sketch of death as the death we all know and love, he wasn't sure. dringenberg borrowed the image of death from one of his friends, by the way, in case you guys didn't already know. anyway, later, gaiman was at a cafe with a friend, and they were discussing the dream sketch, when they realized their waitress was exactly like dringenberg's description of his friend. the black garb, black hair and stylish facial make-up, and the ankh. gaiman turned to his friend and said "that's her." they never asked her, but from that moment on, he adopted that rendition of death. i just thought that was a great story; i didn't know that. it was so exciting!
he also talked about his story on wolves in the walls being spawned from an idea his daughter planted in his mind. can't wait to read that. gotta read coraline too!
i wrote too much. talk to you guys later!

Posts: 16 | Location: san diego, ca usa | Registered: April 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
guess I'll post my San Diego trip here since it's not just Neil stuff

Wednesday - Zoe & I flew into town. Zoe hadn't been on a plane since the 1999 comicon and had forgotten what it was like, so she was psyked. She loved it. We got in early enough to make it to preview night (yay!), and we got to see some cool people. A few of the people there recognize Zoe & I just because Zoe's been coming since she was born and they've seen her grow up, so we walked around and said hi. We got to see Jill, and Brian Froud, and at Charles Vess's booth, they had fairy dust, so Zoe got sprinkled with that. My first dollars were spent at the CBLDF booth, and I resigned up Zoe & myself. We went back to the hotel and swam, which Zoe had been looking foward to. For the past while, the AZ fires have made it too smokey to swim here afterall.
On Thursday, we had breakfast at the Mariott because last year they let us have a piece of bread to feed the ducks just outside the restaurant. This year there were ducklings even (so cute!) but they wouldn't give us bread because of a change of rules! And a few minutes later some other kid came by with bread! Grr!
I had Zoe decked out for the con this year with her own bag (with a fairy on it) with a sketchbook in it as well as a pad of paper and an Emily-The-Strange-Pen for herself. Zoe had fun getting sketches, though Brian Froud, the first sketch, drew in the wrong side of the book! We got to say hi to Neil just before he did a panel with Nalo Hopkinson, and he kneeled in the hall and showed Zoe wolves in the walls. (I didn't make Zoe sit through the panel). Some booth was giving away baloons so zoe had a balloon on a stick. Eddie Campbell drew a face on it for her while I was buying some his art. (I bought a lot of art this con as I didn't need many comic books). Zoe later got a sketch by McKean of a girl with a balloon with a face on it Big Grin
One of our traditions at the con is Zoe getting so tired that I put her on my shoulders where she takes a nap with her head atop mine. We fulfilled the tradition. She slept through Neil's showing of A Short Film About John Bolton, which was very good, though I wish I hadn't known about some things I knew from reading Neil's journal.
And at the hotel we swam.
Friday
I promised Zoe that if she behaved she could get some fairy wings they were selling at Vess's booth, so we began the day buying those. Zoe got some more sketches, and I bought her a stuffed Catbus. Bumped into my mother at the con (I tell you, the con has everything!). We saw the premiere of the Scary Godmother animated cartoon (woo!) and afterwards, Jill had 3 prizes to give out - a piece of art and two bowls painted like jack-o-lanterns. Zoe won one of the bowls Big Grin After that was the Mirrormask panel, and the movie looks BLOODY AWESOME. Later on, Zoe spotted the guy dressed up as Pikachu and followed him around hugging him.
And we swam.
On Saturday, Zoe spent the day with my mum and I went to the con alone. Saw several people I knew including my Tucson friend Miko who's been hanging at NBM, and Walker who introduced me to some thingies. He also intoduced me to Holly, who has been to my Holly website Razz and I had her sign a bunch of stuff, including some she's never seen. Saw a Neil panel. The lady Noles, who was watching over Gaiman, was expecting Beatlemania I think, so she had us make a red rover line to make an unhampered passage for Neil to walk through. The line was half thingies, half klingon. odd. That night was the CBLDF auction, where I spent a fair chunk of coin for a good cause. Afterwards was Neil's reading, which was very nice indeed. Happiest moment of the con was hanging around after the reading, around midnight, talking to people like Holly (very nice individual that), being thanked by Charles Brownstein, who appears to have recognized me from the CBLDF ebay auction winners a year before, and thanked by Neil for doing board stuff followed by him signing a copy of Wolves in the Walls he had for Zoe. A fine day.
Sunday. Zoe was with me again. I bumped into a girl I hadn't seen for a year who was going to be in Tucson this past week and claimed to have my number, ...but she didn't (so she tried to call me through a friend through a friend through a friend, but failed, ah well). Zoe got a ty beanie baby Mothra. At one point we turned around and saw Hulk Hogan, I swear! (comicon has everything) Zoe got a last few sketches from people. Jill, who wasn't doing sketches for anyone because she had a brace on due to tendinitis, did a left-handed Bug-A-Boo for Zoe. Then we left.
We did more as well, but I ain't telling everything.

posted Hide Post
I'm so glad the event is in [url=http:spam link removed/]San Diego CA[/url]. I live in San Diego making it a lot easier. Also the [url=http:spam link removed]San Diego Hotel[/url]s are nice enough so that people out of town will really enjoy them.

edit from aitapata: user banned for repeated travel spam

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aitapata,

Posts: 1 | Registered: January 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone!

I have recently moved to [spam link removed]San Diego[] after years of wanting to attend ComicCon.

Does anyone know when ComicCon 2010 will be held? The exact dates?

This would really help me plan my summer in [and again]San Diego[/url].

Thanks in advance!

-Jim

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Smaug,

Posts: 1 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nomad/Nightwing/Winter Soldier
posted Hide Post
Comic-Con starts next week, July 22-25. If you go to the website right now, they are, somehow, still selling four day passes but those will probably go really fast.

The (good luck) Scought

Posts: 189 | Registered: June 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post