Login/Join

posted
Neil's visit to Cleveland was great.

Here are some choice quotes:
"What a waste of a perfectly good dragon."
"A culture that stops telling stories is a dead culture."
"You wouldn't want me driving your taxi."
"Your imagination is the most valuable thing you possess."

His favourite colour to paint a room - bright green.
His favourite colour for clothing - black of course.

Posts: 1 | Location: Cleveland | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is a loose cannon
Picture of Ramblin' Phoenix
posted Hide Post
It was incredibly nice of him to stay so late! Neil was such an amazing gentleman. I'm really glad I trekked out to the show.

The Way of the Buffalo A podcast of fiction, stuff, and nonsense.

Posts: 3120 | Location: North Tonawanda, NY | Registered: December 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of A.H. Klein
posted Hide Post
I've been a Neil Gaiman fan for a long, long time. This is my first time posting on this forum, as I've just joined this afternoon. Why now? I'm not sure. Why do I own two copies of the same Huey Lewis and the News cd and nothing by the awesome Joan Jett? I can't explain it.

I was there at the Cleveland speaking/signing event. I thought I was lucky before. I just read Mr. Gaiman's blog about the experience and realized I could just as easily have missed it.

I've never been to any kind of author event or book signing before. In most cases, authors that I might be interested in meeting have never been anywhere near me. So it was with a bit of surprise that I happened to see a tweet by Neil that he was going to be in Cleveland. And only about thirty minutes away to boot. I don't have cable, listen to the radio or get the paper. I know, I know. You could tell me aliens were landing in my backyard and I might believe you.

We cut it close getting to the event. Two kids...babsitting. What can I say? I didn't know how long these events lasted, so I only gave ourselves an hour before the start of the event. As it was, we were away from 12:30 until 6:00 PM!

As we pulled up to the library, we saw the line. We saw it moving. My husband stopped the car and said "GET OUT." It was like that scene in Last of the Mohicans. I expected him to say something dramatic like "I WILL FIND YOU!"

As I said before, we were lucky. We made it in and quickly grabbed two seats. As the auditorium filled, I couldn't help but see the disappointment on the faces of people standing at the doors who had to go to the overflow room. I didn't know at the time, that there were people who would be turned away.

I feel super grateful that I got to witness this type of group experience. Hearing a beloved author read his work in person is a very cool experience. Standing right in front of him and having nothing more to say than "Hello" and "Thank you" is...slightly disappointing. Having the author look you right in the eyes and say "You are very, very welcome." Was way cool! That my "Thank you" was for so much more than just a signature and a sketch. It was kind of an all-encompassing "Thank you." For all the hours of pleasure, inspiration and happiness that reading his work has given me.

Last but not least. I just can't get over how many people were at this thing. And how much signing Mr. Gaiman did. I'm of two minds about this whole phenomenon. He's very gracious and generous with his time. I admire that he will see to it that those who attend and want an autograph get an autograph. On the other hand...I'd love to make a living writing and attending events where people hung on my every word and wanted me to sign books Smile I mean. Really. I've worked as a chasier, waitress, hotel clerk, secretary and many other types of jobs. Where do I sign up to be "Famous writer?" I can have that application faxed back to you in a jiffy.

Just a great event and glad I made it.

Posts: 2 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
Hello A.H.Klien and welcome to the board.

Thanks for joining us and sharing your experiences, whilst you're here, why don't you pop over to the Worlds End, the *social* part of the board and introduce yourself there, perhaps join in a thread or two, you'll find us quite a welcoming bunch and may find yourself having fun and sticking around...I did Smile

ETA : That goes for you too Mr Fright!

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20596 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is huge in Japan
Picture of Crow Girl
posted Hide Post
Hello you two,

I was a Clevelander for a while, and there are a few other Ohioans on the board.

You can find the World's End here. Stop by sometime!

Posts: 6962 | Location: Flo-Rida | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post