Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Stuff and Things.  Hop To Forums  Tour Forum    University of Alabama Reading
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

University of Alabama Reading
 Login/Join

Picture of Jordan Hammond
posted
The moment I got word that Neil Gaiman was coming to Tuscaloosa, I almost died of shock. Like he said on his website, almost no one ever comes to Alabama! I was anxious about getting tickets. I knew it was going to be a race. I did not know how fast tickets would sell out, but I ordered two tickets within fifteen seconds of them going on sale.

Unfortunately, none of my friends in my small college town were able to get tickets that day. Fortunately, some of them were able to get them during the second sale. So we all oohed and aahed about how it would be until that fateful Thursday arrived, when we made the three hour journey to Tuscaloosa.

We all knew the drive would be worth it, but we did not realize how good the event would actually be. The Bama Theater is beautiful-- I actually lived an hour from Tuscaloosa almost my entire life and I did not step foot into that theater until that night. Sure, there were almost 1100 people in the theater, but the twinkling lights and the cool air made it feel small and personal, as if I were being told a bedtime story under the stars.

Neil Gaiman did not disappoint. He was everything we Alabamians thought he would be and more-- witty, charming, and above all, extremely entertaining. I am absolutely sure no one would have objected if he read all night. To listen to him read his own work was an enlightening experience. Never have I had the chance to see the author's viewpoint on their work!

Thank you, sincerely, on the behalf of everyone who attended. I hope you enjoyed your stay in Alabama and that you plan to return!

Posts: 1 | Location: Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
reading that story makes me happy.

it might also make neil happy, but he does not read the board and you will need to send your message to him via neilgaiman.com

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20596 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post