Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  FLAME WARS    Movie theatre etiquette
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movie theatre etiquette
 Login/Join

Pirate/Zombie/Hero
Picture of Jena
posted Hide Post
Two words people: NET. FLIX. (or, if unavailable in your area, DVD's in general)

I don't even bother with broadcast or cable tv anymore. The only time this bothers me is when I want to watch a sports game live. Since sports bars are not really an option for me right now!

Vice-Chancellor of the Heartless Bitch Council

Damn peer pressure

Posts: 5271 | Location: Sacramento, CA, US | Registered: August 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of that scott guy
posted Hide Post
sports bars can be kind of annoying too, unless you really dont want to actually pay attention to the game...or so i find

-not back with a vengeance, more like a dull thud followed by a scared wave-

Posts: 1630 | Location: further south than you'd assume, ON, Canada | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pirate/Zombie/Hero
Picture of Jena
posted Hide Post
True, but since NO ONE else in my house watches sports it is sometimes the only way I can be around other people trying to watch the game. I think it just depends which bar you go to. Plus, I am a fan of adding alcohol to sports. Razz

Vice-Chancellor of the Heartless Bitch Council

Damn peer pressure

Posts: 5271 | Location: Sacramento, CA, US | Registered: August 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Plus, I am a fan of adding alcohol to sports.

HAHA! so am I...that was how my room mate suckered me into watching NFL for the first time, he kept feeding me beer. It was like a Pavlovian type thing, I watched NFL, i got beer!

Now I can watch it without the beer, it's odd

Posts: 1630 | Location: further south than you'd assume, ON, Canada | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jena:
Two words people: NET. FLIX. (or, if unavailable in your area, DVD's in general)

I don't even bother with broadcast or cable tv anymore. The only time this bothers me is when I want to watch a sports game live. Since sports bars are not really an option for me right now!

We haven't had TV for 2 years now, I'm debating whether it is worth getting when we move into the new house.

That said our DVD collection is now massive!

Posts: 9895 | Location: The heart of gold | Registered: July 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
was not written by a man named "Cougar"
Picture of smalltown
posted Hide Post
Yeah, we've really only got the tv for DVD's and video games. We got the basic cable package so I can watch the news channels, but I think that might be on it's way out before too long.

----------------
Duck...duck...duck...duck...BOOBS!

Posts: 4109 | Location: Tacoma! (Because really, who wants to live in Seattle?) | Registered: October 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is like fusion cuisine, if Canada can be seen as having a cuisine.
Picture of G~R
posted Hide Post
We have a gigantic TV (seriously, it's huge, but it was cheap) that is for TM to play Guitar Hero on and for us to watch DVDs on.

no cable, no dish, no nothing.

my sister-in-law thinks this is very strange...

Oh, and we also have Netflix Smile love Netflix.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
no maps for these places we're lost within
Originally Registered: June 14, 2007

Posts: 2535 | Location: Happy Place | Registered: October 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i'm honestly not sure if we can get netflix in canada

but yeah, i still love my blu-ray player

mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
I have no patience for advertising now, especially the crappy USA ads!

So yeah only way I would get TV is if we got like Tivo or a skybox so I could automatically record stuff watch it when I wanted to without advertising, honestly though it is probably cheaper in the long run to continue buying box sets from walmart for $20 each

Posts: 9895 | Location: The heart of gold | Registered: July 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if I ever had patience for advertisements...especially when it seems to be the same commercials run every break

Picture of G~R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by insidethewhiteroom:
I'm not sure if I ever had patience for advertisements...especially when it seems to be the same commercials run every break

oh my word, yeah. when TM was at work and I was in the hotel in NYC, I watched some TV but I ended up getting so frustrated with the ads that I went back to my laptop and Netflix!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 2535 | Location: Happy Place | Registered: October 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was watching The Simpsons earlier, and they played the same Tim Hortons commercial 5 times in the breaks (I counted) for a half hour show, that's pretty damn ridiculous!

Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jena:

I have three letters: B, B and C!

(People bitch about the TV licence, but IMO it is worth EVERY PENNY.)

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15843 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the BBC is another thing we can't get in Canada...mind you there's a BBC Canada station, but because it's Canadian, there are still commercials, and it also costs a shit load to get

mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
Yeah it bugs me that they chop the commercials into the 1 hour programs so you miss bits of them!

Our Bro in law has that channel, though I'm disappointed the only good program it shows is Top Gear, none of the documentaries get aired on it etc.

I miss the BBC greatly!

posted Hide Post
I really wish they'd air Mongrels on tv here

the UK has so many better shows than the crap that's on here

was not written by a man named "Cougar"
Picture of smalltown
posted Hide Post
My family used to have an old tv with an antenna that lived in the kitchen that would pick up one or two Canadian channels. Is Corner Gas still around?

----------------
Duck...duck...duck...duck...BOOBS!

Posts: 4109 | Location: Tacoma! (Because really, who wants to live in Seattle?) | Registered: October 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it's been done for a couple of years now...i can't stand Brent Butt

Picture of G~R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smalltown:
My family used to have an old tv with an antenna that lived in the kitchen that would pick up one or two Canadian channels. Is Corner Gas still around?

Oh, Corner Gas!
Smile
My family loves Corner Gas, I think they've watched every single season (DVD) at least twice.
My parents attended college in Saskachewan so they like seeing the prairie Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
i think the only Canadian shows that i've ever really liked are Kids Of Degrassi Street, Degrassi Jr. High and Degrassi High (I used to have the biggest crush on Caitlyn) but definitely not the New Degrassi crap, as cheesey as the originals were, at least it was realistic