Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  FLAME WARS    song lyrics that piss you off
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

song lyrics that piss you off
 Login/Join

is tired of these monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane
Picture of general punk, MA
posted Hide Post
*facepalm*

i'm so disturbed by stuff like that

High Ranking Official of the Realm of Unproductivity and Procrastination,
Dean of the UUP, First Class member of the order of the Pineapple.
-scruffy ambulating reanimated hypothetical vegetarian leigonairre of the undead. ~ Cav
-Look, I've got a cape and a tendency towards violence. It does not make me a superhero! ~ Domitella
-The key thing to remember about historians is that we are entirely capable of being objective, empirical and batshit crazy. ~ Dr. Marvinmarymac

Posts: 29254 | Location: Somewhereshire | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has been eaten by a grue.
Picture of Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dweller in Darkness:
It's nowhere near as good at getting across its message as "The Rainbow Connection." And when your song is outstripped by a man with his hand up a frog's ass, that's a bad thing.

ha! true. but it's such a beautiful song. I mean, yeah, the words are somewhat irritating, but it's...mesmerizing.

anyway. the husband has recently been regaling me with some song that apparently has the lyrics "I really like you a lot." he thinks it's hilarious. I'll try to find out what song it is so I can post it in its full glory.

~ fLame Woosh ~
Elite Special Force Procrastinator, trained in High Arts of Extended Coffee Breaks and
Master Linguist of the Water Cooler Conversation

Posts: 7134 | Location: the gloaming | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has no knowledge of the Munich Incident, so stop asking
Picture of Wayfarer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by halucinagenia:
Bill Bailey does a whole bit on that, he sang I've got ham but I'm not a hamster.

Yes, you can turn it into a game: last one to run out of alternatives wins.
My personal favourites:
I've got toast but I'm not a toaster.
I've got weight, but I'm not a waitress,
etc.

Posts: 5864 | Location: The Cast Iron Shore | Registered: September 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McApathy:
quote:
Originally posted by Dweller in Darkness:
It's nowhere near as good at getting across its message as "The Rainbow Connection." And when your song is outstripped by a man with his hand up a frog's ass, that's a bad thing.

ha! true. but it's such a beautiful song. I mean, yeah, the words are somewhat irritating, but it's...mesmerizing.

Which song are we talking about?
quote:
anyway. the husband has recently been regaling me with some song that apparently has the lyrics "I really like you a lot." he thinks it's hilarious. I'll try to find out what song it is so I can post it in its full glory.

Would it be this song?

They're Finnish, so they get a pass from me but, yeah, bad song.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has been eaten by a grue.
Picture of Apathy
posted Hide Post
which one? well, I guess either. but I meant it by way of excusing "Imagine," which is one of my favorite songs for letting the music wash over me. don't care for the lyrics, no, but still. I will turn the volume all the way up (to 11, natch) if it comes on the radio.

restricted site. I'll check when I get home. Big Grin

~ fLame Woosh ~
Elite Special Force Procrastinator, trained in High Arts of Extended Coffee Breaks and
Master Linguist of the Water Cooler Conversation

Posts: 7134 | Location: the gloaming | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahr!
Picture of FatPigeon
posted Hide Post
Jolene, by Dolly Parton.

My mom loves that song and used to have it in the one mix tape she kept in the car. I've heard it way too many times, and every time it just made me think "Oh, would you quit whining and fucking grow a pair?"

Also, during the chorus my brain goes "Shaolin, Shaolin, Shaolin Shao-leeeeen!"

~ Gal-El

I don't have a drinking problem. What I have is a drinking solution.

Posts: 16427 | Location: Haifa, Israel | Registered: August 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has no member title
Picture of His Noodle Girl
posted Hide Post
My dad kept arguing with that song! He'd say, "look, if he's that easy to take he was a dick anyway."
And "shaolin" should make it cooler.

__
I like it maybe 63 percent!

Posts: 15475 | Location: Bouncing round in bathrooms! | Registered: October 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by His Noodle Girl:
My dad kept arguing with that song! He'd say, "look, if he's that easy to take he was a dick anyway."

Amen to that!

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15843 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahr!
Picture of FatPigeon
posted Hide Post
quote:

Exactly! And how low does your self esteem have to be to want to stay with someone who talks about someone else in their sleep?

Shaolin!

~ Gal-El

I don't have a drinking problem. What I have is a drinking solution.

Posts: 16427 | Location: Haifa, Israel | Registered: August 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Istanbul was never Constantinople. They lied.
Picture of Cyan Dream
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FatOigeon:
quote:

Exactly! And how low does your self esteem have to be to want to stay with someone who talks about someone else in their sleep?

Shaolin!

:shrug: You could pull a Josephine and just change your name to suit the need...I always thought the was a pretty sharp, funny way of dealing with your lover saying someone else's name while under the sheets.
(It took a lot of "gaul", ha-ha-ha.)

inagreyplace + colour theory.

Posts: 3426 | Location: purgatory, USA. | Registered: June 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
*le bump*

i may disect it late, but uncle cracker's 'follow me' is distastful in the least, trying to persaid a woman it's okay to be unfaithful because 'you won't find nobody else like me'.

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20595 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has no member title
posted Hide Post
it's funny, that's one of my most favourite songs ever. I've always felt that it's not about morals, it's supposed to be about what the temptation feels like, from the woman's point of view. Like it's not what the man is actually saying to her, but what she fantasizes about him.

And I think what I like about it is that it's not a song about how you're supposed to behave. Smile Of course it's a selfish song. Cheating is selfish. And this is a song about the secret lure of cheating.

"You won't find nobody else like me" is actually a pretty accurate representation of why women won't leave. Whether that's ok or not is not the subject of the song.

__

Posts: 15475 | Location: Bouncing round in bathrooms! | Registered: October 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has no member title
posted Hide Post
Here's my step by step translation of why I think this is a wonderfully accurate description of what seduction feels like inside a woman's head (despite being sung from the male perspective).

You don't know how you met me
You don't know why
You can't turn around and say good bye

set up: everything else feels irrelevant except that he's there.

All you know is when I'm with you
I make you free
And swim through your veines
Like a fish in the sea

The feeling of freedom - also from who you are perceived to be and what your limitations are - is a major part of the lure. And of course you can't stop thinking about the guy, he's permeating every bit of you.

Follow me and everything is alright
I'll be the one to tuck you in at night

The siren song in the woman's head. And who says that cheating is just about the sex? (Though from a logic point of view I would say that I can't imagine her husband not noticing that she is being tucked in at night by somebody else. Confused )

And if you want to leave I can guarantee
You won't find nobody else like me

The ultimate fear of losing what you have just gained.

I'm not worried about the ring you wear
Cause as long as no one knows
Then nobody can care

The typical thing a seducer would say. Obviously, the man doesn't care.But maybe she should be feeling a bit more guilty, huh?

You're feeling guilty
And I am well aware
But you don't look ashamed
And baby I'm not scared

My friend Vee, in love with another man, is feeling like that right now. Right this moment. Guilty - but not ashamed. I think it's a very accurate description. The fact that he is not scared and doesn't care, makes the focus of this song even more about her, because it leaves the last decision to do so up to her.

Won't give you money
I can't give you the sky
You're better off if you don't ask why

The less one knows of the seducer, the more interesting and mysterious he becomes. And if you did know more about him, quite possibly you would be appalled.

I'm not the reason that you go astray

No indeed. The reasons for going emotionally astray are many, but rarely lie only in the fact that the guy is such a sexy dude. It lies in how he adresses needs in you that you never knew you needed and never want to go without again. Obviously, it would be better to address these needs with your boyfriend/husband rather than going astray. But that's how it often plays out.

We'll be allright if you don't ask me to stay

Heh. If you'd let yourself into a monogamous relationship with the person, it would turn out to be a disaster (and not only because both of you are wanderers!). Perversely, what makes him unsuitable for a real relationship makes him perfect as an affair.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: His Noodle Girl,

__

Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
that makes sense.

now i dislike *her* intensly instead of him Razz

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20595 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has no member title
posted Hide Post
Haha ok! I don't.

__

has no knowledge of the Munich Incident, so stop asking
Picture of Wayfarer
posted Hide Post
I thought this thread might like this link.

Posts: 5864 | Location: The Cast Iron Shore | Registered: September 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Companion to owls
Picture of cloverheart
posted Hide Post
Been thinking about adding this to the thread for ages.

Do They Know It's Christmas
Written by holier-than-thou rich celebrities who want to make you feel guilty at Christmas and remind you of less fortunate people. The final intention is noble, I just wish they'd chosen someone more talented for this manipulative, sentimental shite. It's bad from the very start.

It's Christmastime
There's no need to be afraid

What's there to be afraid of? Lazy song fillers?

At Christmastime, we let in light and we banish shade
And in our world of plenty we can spread a smile of joy
Throw your arms around the world at Christmastime

Huh? Some of these lines make sense. But not in reference to each other. As part of the "message", they're incoherent. My guess is they wrote several catchy phrases and picked 3 random ones for this verse.

But say a prayer
Pray for the other ones

Got a problem with people telling me to do religious stuff I don't adhere to.

At Christmastime it's hard, but when you're having fun
There's a world outside your window
And it's a world of dread and fear
Where the only water flowing is the bitter sting of tears

Not at all melodramatic, Bob.

And the Christmas bells that ring there are the clanging chimes of doom

Appropriate that this over the top "clanging chimes of doom" is sung by drama queen Bono.

Now I'd like to repeat this sentence: "The Christmas bells that ring there are the clanging chimes of doom". What the fuck does that even mean? If you say the bells..., which is equivalent to "the only bells", then as a listener I anticipate you're going to talk about real bells. If you talk about clanging chimes of doom, I doubt they're real sounds (what's a chime of doom? why does it clang?). If the Chimes of Doom are metaphorical (a metaphor of what?), then they're not actually the only bells that ring there, are they? They're the bells that ALSO don't ring there like most of the bells that don't ring "there" [Aside: where's "there"? The whole massive continent of Africa, apparently, which Bob imagines as one single entity of poor starved christmasless children with freaky ghost bells]. Because then I could say "The only bells that ring there are the clanging CHIMES OF DOOM and the twinkling cling of fear and the booming jingle of war...".
(This could actually be a drinking game...)

Well tonight thank God it's them instead of you

I get the guilt trip. You're very right. Of course, it doesn't quite work if sung by multimillionaires.

And there won't be snow in Africa this Christmastime

I almost hate this line most of all. Of course there won't be bloody snow in Africa this or any Christmas, mostly because Africa is pretty much a snow-free continent for the most part and actually I'm quite sure most of Africa is quite happy not having any snow fucking up their ecosystems. Also, why is that such a tragedy? Is Bob implying that Christmases with snow are better and therefore we should pity poor Africa-as-an-entity because it doesn't get it?

The greatest gift they'll get this year is life

Poor Africa. They get life, instead of snow and plastic crap.
(I don't even understand what the hell this line relaly is about, besides being another filler.)

(Oooh) Where nothing ever grows
No rain nor rivers flow

First of all, here we're back as Africa-as-an-entity, in the form of a barren desert this time. There are some pretty cool rivers in Africa. Some of them are long and stuff. They got rain too, I'd say.

Do they know it's Christmastime at all?

I REALLY hate this line most of all. Most of the place has another bloody religion. THEY DO NOT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT CHRISTMAS!! I'd like a pop hit from a Moslim country: Do they know it's Ramadan at all?

(Here's to you) raise a glass for everyone
(Here's to them) underneath that burning sun

Again with the clichés and the fucking title: AAARGH!!!

Feed the world

How so? So far, you've only made me feel vaguely guilty for enjoying time with my friends and family, urged me to pray and to make a toast for them. None of that seems nutritious. Saying out loud "Lookit here, people are poor and starve" is not helping solve the problem, it's being an arrogant self-serving prick.

Feed the world
Feed the world
Let them know it's Christmastime again

Aaah... So on top of guilt, prayer, and toasting, I just got to "let them know" it's Christmas. Will send them a card:

"Dear Africa,
Hope you're good. Just a quick note to let you ken I'm praying for you -even though I'm not a follower of any religion- and toasting to your starving health. I'm enjoying time with my beloved ones and eating like a pig because IT'S CHRISTMASTIME! I bet you didn't know! HURAH! I bet you feel better now! All the best, take care and don't let the chimes of doom keep you up at night.
Love, X"

Posts: 11802 | Location: home? | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lard
posted Hide Post
Dear cloverheart- I want to rub bacon on you and have your baby. Signed, Lard.

Love and serve your Lard.

Posts: 50 | Location: Around your waist. | Registered: March 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
Once Lard has your babies, if you decide to go for polyamory, clover, I'd like to be next in line, please.
quote:
Originally posted by cloverheart:
And there won't be snow in Africa this Christmastime

Kilimanjaro!
quote:

(Oooh) Where nothing ever grows
No rain nor rivers flow

First of all, here we're back as Africa-as-an-entity, in the form of a barren desert this time. There are some pretty cool rivers in Africa. Some of them are long and stuff. They got rain too, I'd say.

Last time I heard this, it was being sung by schoolchildren at the Christmas concert a few weeks ago. I did wonder at the time what the 70% who are actually from Africa, or are first generation here, thought of this bit.
quote:

I REALLY hate this line most of all. Most of the place has another bloody religion. THEY DO NOT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT CHRISTMAS!! I'd like a pop hit from a Moslim country: Do they know it's Ramadan at all?

...especially since, of that 70%, about 65% are Muslim. (Although in the whole of the continent of Africa, I think Christianity and Islam are about the same in terms of numbers, but most of our kids come from the Maghreb.)

I appreciate the idea of it, and it raised money and all, but dear god, don't listen to the lyrics.

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15843 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has no member title
posted Hide Post
"Do they know it's Ramadan at all" would be awesome. Really genuinely awesome, and only a little bit tongue in cheek awesome.

__