Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  FLAME WARS    song lyrics that piss you off
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

song lyrics that piss you off
 Login/Join

Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
The last time I really listened to it was back when it debuted and I had a huge crush on Sting (in my defense I was about 16 and his ego hadn't yet achieved escape velocity and expanded well past Saturn's orbit) and it seemed to me that Bob Geldof had a 3am drunken crescendo of guilt and scribbled out something that people could hum along to, since no one had any chance to you know... wake up, take a shower, slurp some coffee, let alone rehearse.

I do remember watching the documentary and seeing Boy George waft in and effortlessly sing his line while everyone else was trying not to sound hungover.

But then a few weeks later we had the American version, that glitzy thing with Michael Jackson? I can't even remember the name of it, the glare from the rhinestones scared me.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
That was, "We Are The World," which was at least one step above in terms of the writing. Much more about all of us being connected together, all part of the same thing. Although it includes Dan Akroyd on back-up, which is kind of iffy. I mean, he's a Blues Brother, so there's that, I guess.

Still, it partly involves Harry Belafonte who is simply one of the most generous and sincerely loving people our planet has ever produced, so it's hard for me to really dislike it.

There was a heavy metal song of a similar bent that was absolutely hilariously bad, and a Canadian one that was quite good although, again, they trolled for Canadian comedians, this time scoring about half the cast of SCTV, including Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara. The song is part of the reason why they teamed up later in A Mighty Wind, so it wasn't all for naught, and many comedians are consummate performers, trained in dance and singing in addition to acting, so it's not that surprising.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In control
Picture of Caspian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cloverheart:
Been thinking about adding this to the thread for ages.

Do They Know It's Christmas
Written by holier-than-thou rich celebrities who want to make you feel guilty at Christmas and remind you of less fortunate people. The final intention is noble, I just wish they'd chosen someone more talented for this manipulative, sentimental shite. It's bad from the very start.

I came to this thread for the sole purpose of posting this song. But I could add almost nothing to your great post, except to say:

I've been to Uganda, which is in Africa. The Christians there know it's Christmas. The Muslims probably know too, but they don't care.

Also:
And there won't be snow in Africa this Christmastime

... or in Mexico. Or in Spain. Or in Florida. Or in Bethlehem.

Also:
(Oooh) Where nothing ever grows

More grows in Uganda than in Winnipeg. Even during a draught. Especially at Christmastime.

----------------
Never stare into a car's headlights and freeze, because you'll either be run over or shot.

Posts: 1766 | Location: Everywhere you wanna be. Like Visa. Or is that American Express? | Registered: February 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has no knowledge of the Munich Incident, so stop asking
Picture of Wayfarer
posted Hide Post
Clover wins the thread.

& the prize is a Christmas compilation CD

Big Grin

Posts: 5864 | Location: The Cast Iron Shore | Registered: September 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of that scott guy
posted Hide Post
ahhh crap! i had a song in my head that annoys me and i was going to post the lyrics to it, but after reading all of the previous posts in here and laughing my ass off, i cant remember for the life of me what song i was going to post...jerks Frown

-not back with a vengeance, more like a dull thud followed by a scared wave-

Posts: 1630 | Location: further south than you'd assume, ON, Canada | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
may or may not be cerulean
Picture of Oh hey, jupiter!
posted Hide Post
"Waiting on the World to Change" by John Mayer sets my TEETH ON EDGE

I mean I don't love John Mayer in general, but this song OUTRAGES me.

quote:
It's hard to beat the system
When we're standing at a distance
So we keep waiting
Waiting on the world to change

Now if we had the power
To bring our neighbors home from war
They would have never missed a Christmas
No more ribbons on their door
And when you trust your television
What you get is what you got
Cause when they own the information, oh
They can bend it all they want

That's why we're waiting
We keep on waiting

WHAT THE FUCK JOHN MAYER

Why couldn't you have written a song about why it's important for disaffected youth to go VOTE and become actually informed. Idiot.

------------------------------
renata
"Neil Gaiman, what are you doing in my falafel?"
--Mary Ellen on Arthur

Posts: 845 | Location: Champagne, Illinoise | Registered: October 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
These lyrics didn't really piss me off, but did make me think 'whuh'? and reinforced my dislike of country music.

Please note, I didn't willingly listen to this song, it was forced on me at the chiropractor's office waiting room - and I don't know what the song title is or who performed it, but I hope to never hear it again - some of the lyrics were:

'I'm a third generation farmer who married the farmer's daughter'

and all I could think of was... You married your sister??

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
there's this band that is always on the radio here and pretty much every one of their songs pisses me off...but yeah, here's some sample lyrics from one of their more "popular" songs...hopefully you'll see what I mean about them

"Break me down, you got a lovely face
We're going to your place, and now you got to freak me out
Scream so loud, getting f*ckin' laid
You want me to stay but I got to make my way

"When I dream I'm doing you all night`

"You jump in bed with fame
Another one night paid in full

"Get the video, f*ck you so good

"To be a star you'll have to go down
Take it off no need to talk"

oddly that gets played uncensored all the time but Money For Nothing has been banned

Posts: 1630 | Location: further south than you'd assume, ON, Canada | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Companion to owls
Picture of cloverheart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maeve:
'I'm a third generation farmer who married the farmer's daughter'

and all I could think of was... You married your sister??

Not necessarily. Could be his own daughter, or mom, or aunt Big Grin

On a similar note... They used to play this on the radio I listen to when I get up like every day, and it alwasy made me angry right before breakfast:

quote:
Told you once before and I won't tell you no more
Get down get down get down
You're a bad dog baby but I still want you 'round

You give me the creeps When you jump on your feet
So get down get down get down
Keep your hands to yourself I'm strictly out of bounds

Once upon a time I drank a little wine
Was as happy as could be happy as could be
Now I'm just like a cat on a hot tin roof
Baby what do you think you're doin' to me

Told you once before and I won't tell you no more
So get down get down get down
You're a bad dog baby But I still want you round around
Mmm I still want you around aye aye aye

I don't give a damn and I'd like you if you can to
Get down get down get down
You're bad dog baby but I still want you around

What the hell? Are you making love to a dog or are you comparing your girlfriend to a dog because she won't do what you say? THERE'S NO RIGHT ANSWER!

Plus, the writing's atrocious. 'Once upon a time I drank a little wine'? REALLY?

Posts: 11802 | Location: home? | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resting by the shade of the tumtum tree, yahr!
Picture of Moon Jester
posted Hide Post
I have never been a Lady Gaga fan. I don't like her music or lyrics or anything. But I am really sick of hearing about her new Born this Way song. I mean, I get that a lot of people find it empowering or whatever, and that's cool. The lyrics however just drive me up a wall. I mean, all the references to how her god made everyone 'perfect' and how her god 'makes no mistakes' are annoyingly insulting to me. It's like, ah, so your god MEANT to give me this lifelong debilitating disease, how nice. Oh, and I shouldn't change myself because I was born PERFECT... you know except the whole body not matching my actual gender thing. And she specifically mentions trans people in her awful new song. I mean, I like who I am, but I was not born 'perfect'. Nor was I even born 'me', I became me over years and years, and frankly I will always be changing and so therefore never really 'perfect'. Ugh, just shut up, Lady Gaga, shut up about how we shouldn't change ourselves "'cause god don't make mistakes' because if a god DID make me, let me tell you, s/he made some pretty damn big mistakes.

-----~~-----
Cthulhu for president~Why vote for the lesser evil?

Posts: 9600 | Location: I was hoping you could tell me | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I think that's the song that makes my brain automatically start in on a Madonna song and then have it stuck as an earworm.

Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Pearl Jam - Jeremy

Ah home
Drawing pictura
Uh dow-da da
Weh heh on ta
Lemon yellow sun
Ahhh raize innavee
De-day lay in poos of moo-bow
DADDIE din gib tuttension
Tuoah the fact that mommy dint cayayreayre
Keen Jehemmy the wikkedd
Rooohld hi whirl
Jair-him-he poke n cless...sday
Jair-m-ee pokes sin clehhhhday

Posts: 32867 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Furious:
Pearl Jam - Jeremy

Ah home
Drawing pictura
Uh dow-da da
Weh heh on ta
Lemon yellow sun
Ahhh raize innavee
De-day lay in poos of moo-bow
DADDIE din gib tuttension
Tuoah the fact that mommy dint cayayreayre
Keen Jehemmy the wikkedd
Rooohld hi whirl
Jair-him-he poke n cless...sday
Jair-m-ee pokes sin clehhhhday

that was the best way anyone could post pearl jam lyrics...damn that chin waggling style singing

Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
I mean, I LIKE Pearl Jam but,... that's every one of their songs right there. :/

Posts: 32867 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
exactly
i like them too...much more when i was in high school but all of those bands that followed and did that style of singing make me stabby

Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I always thought of him as being our generation's Bob Dylan

half the man he used to be
posted Hide Post
THIS SONG SUCKS SO HARD

I remember one moment, I tried to forget
I lost myself, is it better not said
Now I'm closer to the edge

It was a thousand to one
And a million to two
Time to go down in flames and I'm taking you
Closer to the edge

No, I'm not saying I'm sorry
One day maybe we'll meet again
NO NO NO NO

Can can can you imagine a time when the truth ran free
The birth of a song and the death of a dream
Closer to the edge

This never ending story
Paid for with pride and fate
We all fall short of glory
LOST IN OUR FATE

NO NO NO NO

NO NO NO NO
I will never forget
NO NO
I will never regret
NO NO
I WILL LIVE MY LIFE
NO NO NO NO
I will never forget
NO NO
I will never regret
NO NO
I WILL LIVE MY LIFE

NO NO
NO NO NO NO

Closer to the edge
Closer to the edge
NO NO NO NO

Closer to the edge
Closer to the edge
NO NO NO NO

Closer to the edge

Posts: 411 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Man Down" by Rihanna, which contains the vexing lyrics: 'Cause I didn't mean to hurt him
Could've been somebody's son
And I took his heart when
I pulled out that gun

Posts: 1 | Registered: September 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smiter of the Stupid
Picture of Saint NightWalker
posted Hide Post
Screw lyrics... any BAND that mentions themselves in the lyrics of a song blatantly is immediately on my shit list, and that song is crap.

Examples:

Bad Company
Wang Chung
Kid Rock
Lady Gaga
Big Country

etc.

Donut: "Oh man, that is a BURN. Dude, you just got BURNED. BURN, dude. BURN."
Simmons: "Oh, shut up! Your armor's pink."

Posts: 2507 | Location: SoCali, USA, Earth | Registered: June 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post