Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  FLAME WARS    Fred Phelps and his "church" are coming to my town
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fred Phelps and his "church" are coming to my town
 Login/Join

Did something right
Picture of Big Flinchy!
posted Hide Post
Guess who he's protesting now?
quote:
Are you kidding?! If these people would spend even some of the energy that they spend on these comic books, reading the Bible, well no high hopes here. They have turned comic book characters into idols, and worship them they do! Isaiah 2:8 Their land also is full of idols; they worship the work of their own hands, that which their own fingers have made: 9 And the mean man boweth down, and the great man humbleth himself: therefore forgive them not. It is time to put away the silly vanities and turn to God like you mean it. The destruction of this nation is imminent - so start calling on Batman and Superman now, see if they can pull you from the mess that you have created with all your silly idolatry.

----
My baby is cuter than your baby!

Posts: 12870 | Registered: February 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
Wow. Well, they're branching out from making people cry more at the funerals of their loved ones. So there's that.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Biscuitkeeper
Picture of Matt Cable
posted Hide Post
*can't wait for Slave Leia to kick their ass*

Posts: 10767 | Location: Michigan | Registered: April 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
It'd be more ironic if it were Thor.

- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the Penitent
Picture of Artguy C.
posted Hide Post
I'd settle for ROBIN or Aquaman!!!~ -It'd serve 'em right.
(But, yeah- Thor would bring a cool irony to the situation!)

Posts: 2666 | Location: Greater or Lesser Minneapolis, MN USA | Registered: March 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time avant garde shrubbery inspector who breaths fire and lets out a mighty YAHR!
Picture of ladykatza
posted Hide Post
*FACEPALM* PLEASE come to Dragon Con, it would be entertaining!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Discordian Priestess, Keeper of the Golden Pine-Apple.

Has Been Assimilated.

blog or not

Posts: 8877 | Location: ain't from 'round these parts | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dane Cook's Final Horcrux
Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
man, best thing ever. And apparently they've (the Westboro knobs) haven't turned up again after that Big Grin

Posts: 20848 | Registered: November 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time avant garde shrubbery inspector who breaths fire and lets out a mighty YAHR!
Picture of ladykatza
posted Hide Post
Magnets, how the fuck do they work?

Has Been Assimilated.

blog or not

Posts: 8877 | Location: ain't from 'round these parts | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
The magnets thing is actually a meme that comes out of a textbook from Bob Jones University, still in use in some science classes in Christian schools, that makes electromagnetic energy out to be some strange and mysterious force that science doesn't understand because they can't see it under a microscope.

It's a junior school science book, too. It's only possible use is as a tool to teach young children to not trust scientists when they say they're certain of something.

- G.K. Chesterton

Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
Here's an EVEN BETTER gallery of the anti-protest.

Picture of ladykatza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dweller in Darkness:
The magnets thing is actually a meme that comes out of a textbook from Bob Jones University, still in use in some science classes in Christian schools, that makes electromagnetic energy out to be some strange and mysterious force that science doesn't understand because they can't see it under a microscope.

It's a junior school science book, too. It's only possible use is as a tool to teach young children to not trust scientists when they say they're certain of something.

ICP also used it in one of their songs after it came out they were UBER RELIGIOUS

Has Been Assimilated.

blog or not

Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
I'd always been of the understanding that those lyrics were inspired by the BJU textbook, or something like it. Quite possible I'm wrong there, though.

- G.K. Chesterton

Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Domitella:
Here's an EVEN BETTER gallery of the anti-protest.

I love the "My name is Inigo Montoya.." one

(Though nothing compares to "I HAVE A SIGN".)

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15843 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
my problem with this though, as funny as it is, it's feeding Phelps and his family, the attention and the press coverage is *exactly* what they were after. Frown

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20596 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
it's the opposite, though - when they protest, the protests get covered, when there's an amusing counter-protest that gets far, far more coverage than them.

Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
And now they're muddying their message even further - the more potent the counter-protests, the faster people will go to just knowing Westboro as that church with lots of people full of hate, unable to make any further distinction.

- G.K. Chesterton

Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
i suspect, if they went to comic con, and nobody turned up, the press would have ignored them as a small bunch of nuts.

and honestly, perhaps I'm giving people more credit than they're due, but as far as i can tell, people already think of Westboro as that church with lots of people full of hate, unable to make any further distinction.

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20596 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is imperfectly illuminated
Picture of Murphy
posted Hide Post
But i still say that it's infinitely preferrable for them to be doing this rather than picketing funerals.

I'd be happy if they toured every convention in the world with their hateful drivel and get as much media coverage as comes with it rather than disturb one family's grief.

---------------
*is currently impressed*

Posts: 8147 | Location: London, England | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
agrees.

~

CHIKKINZ?

Did something right
Picture of Big Flinchy!
posted Hide Post
Here's a picture from Westboro's Sundance protest of a Kevin Smith film.

----
My baby is cuter than your baby!

Posts: 12870 | Registered: February 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post