Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  FLAME WARS    Workplace rants
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 89
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Workplace rants
 Login/Join

has no member title
Picture of His Noodle Girl
posted
My running commentary on the weird and wonderful place that is my office.
Today's installment:

1) IT sends us an e-mail. They want to give us new passwords and ask us to send in our old ones by MAIL.
Half the office thinks this is illegal spam and throws away the message.

2) The new CEO is a German. This is made uncomfortably apparent by his most important concern: "The chairs in our conference room", he reprimands us, "MUST be pushed back to the table when we leave the room".
Apparently, the messiness of chairs that stand around in just any old way offends his sensibilities.
Never mind that this is the CEO who was hired to help us get back into the profit zone. CHAIRS is what he worries about.

__
I like it maybe 63 percent!

Posts: 15475 | Location: Bouncing round in bathrooms! | Registered: October 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
If the chair breaks when you hurl it across the room at CEO Doofy's head, do you push the mess under the table then?

Posts: 32868 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has no member title
posted Hide Post
LOL!

Seems like the appropriate place to repost this here:

http://www.doodie.com/boss_flash_animation.php

__

Posts: 15475 | Location: Bouncing round in bathrooms! | Registered: October 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knows there is no spoon
Picture of The Wanderer
posted Hide Post
You guys will probably appreciate this one if you haven't seen it already.

http://joecartoon.atomfilms.com/pages/theboss/

Note: I've found in the past that it tends to redirect you to the main site if you just click the link, but it worked when I tested it, so it might be ok. Otherwise just copy and paste it into the address bar.

James

Wandering, but not lost.

"You are a Knight Errant. All of the fun of rescuing damsels, and none of the paperwork." - Royko

Posts: 8394 | Location: New York | Registered: July 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aliasmoi
posted Hide Post
I'm alone at work, so I'm taking advantage of the opportunity to misbehave...

Onion, someone who has time to worry about conference room chairs doesn't have enough to do. Do everything you can to fly under this guy's radar because eventually he'll start picking at every little thing some unfortunate soul is doing to deflect attention away from the fact that he's not doing anything/incompetent. I had a boss like that. I know of what I speak.

aliasmoi.livejournal.com
http://www.pbase.com/ragamuffingirl

Posts: 218 | Location: Middle of Nowhere, Virginia | Registered: January 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pirate/Zombie/Hero
Picture of Jena
posted Hide Post
Being half German, though, I have a sneaking suspiscion I understand where he's coming from. It bugs the CRAP out of me when my students don't push their chairs in. Why? Because it means they aren't paying attention (in this case, to manners and politeness and making things easier for the next person who comes along). Also, it means they don't care of things are chaotic and disorganized. If I were trying to get a company back in the profit zone, I JUST MIGHT start with something basic, like pushing in chairs, and see how organized and detail-oriented people are. Of course, at some point I'd probably explain myself too. To avoid looking like an idiot and all. Razz

Vice-Chancellor of the Heartless Bitch Council

Damn peer pressure

Posts: 5271 | Location: Sacramento, CA, US | Registered: August 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onions:

2) The new CEO is a German. This is made uncomfortably apparent by his most important concern: "The chairs in our conference room", he reprimands us, "MUST be pushed back to the table when we leave the room".
Apparently, the messiness of chairs that stand around in just any old way offends his sensibilities.
Never mind that this is the CEO who was hired to help us get back into the profit zone. CHAIRS is what he worries about.

BWAHAHAHAAA!!!!! My BIGGEST pet peeve at work is people who don't push in their fucking chairs.

teehee.

Posts: 37699 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
I'm the same way at work, which bothers people a lot. What's really OCD is that all the chairs have to be the same height when I leave a workspace area. I swear, if I weren't one of the fastest workers they have, they'd get me in therapy.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NicholasRidiculous
posted Hide Post
You lot should worry. I am being personally developed by my company, to improve my self belief and help me maintain a positive attitude. They don't understand that I like my self doubt and my healthy negative attitude.

There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more.

Posts: 275 | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
The last time that happened to me, I ended up going through EST (now known as The Forum). We all went through EST. Roll Eyes

All I can say is.....run!

shooting moonbeams out of her a(censored)e.
~Joe

Posts: 24398 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is in perfect karmic alignment
Picture of Punkyfins
posted Hide Post
I just read a little of that.. sounds horrid.

-------------------
Blog: Room with a view.

~You are a *Taverner*.
Sometimes patrons want to go where everybody knows their names, though it helps when half of them are named John. When people want to celebrate, or commiserate, they gather to your establishment. You provide the atmosphere, the warmth, rum, and even an ear to bend. Did I mention the rum? Years before the language will be mangled with terms like facilitator and networking and interpersonal communication, you've overseen it all, and broken up a few bar fights, to boot.~
-Royko

Posts: 8667 | Location: Just north of Earth | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has no member title
posted Hide Post
What on earth is it, BeeZee?
What did you have to do?

__

Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
The articles are mostly the most extreme end of EST.
This one is a little closer to the actual experience.

Needless to say, with me it didn't stick.

Heh, in EST speak, I never "got it".
Good thing.

~Joe

Posts: 24398 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has no member title
posted Hide Post
OMFG.

That is...horrible.
That makes me so mad. Frown

And you were sent there by your boss? Or did I misunderstand?

__

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
My workplace is JUST FRICKIN'-...

...hey, I don't work anymore!

*walks away and whistles happily*

Big Grin

Posts: 32868 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
Let's just say we were "strongly encouraged" to take it.
Steven and Mark were really really into it, having taken the training from the man himself.
In fact, they put up the money for me to go...and as I recall it was a heckuva lot more than $250.00 when I went.

When I quit, Steven tried to make me pay back the money. Razz
I said "Uh-uh, it was your idea, and nowhere in it was there any mention of paying it back."

See....that much I "got". Big Grin

~Joe

has no member title
posted Hide Post
Lol!
I'm glad you "got" all the right stuff, then. Good for you.

And Furious - everytime I read one of your enthusiastic "not working anymore" posts it makes me grin. Big Grin
How's the massages? Good?

__

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Babylon the Bride:
Lol!
I'm glad you "got" all the right stuff, then. Good for you.

And Furious - everytime I read one of your enthusiastic "not working anymore" posts it makes me grin. Big Grin
How's the massages? Good?

*puts on his 'poor me' face*

It's just horrible. Free massages and whirlpools at someone else's expense...primo parking wherever I go...the guilt of not contributing to the taxbase...Big Grin

Seriously though, I'm making things out a little rosier than they really are. Almost went without heating oil thanks to my ex-company sitting on $7500 that they owed me. Mad

It's a game, but I'm winning. Big Grin

has no member title
posted Hide Post
Yes, I can imagine.
But you seem pig-headed competitive enough to pull it through.
Me, I'd probably just give up and cry.
So, you rock!

__

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Oh I've cried and screamed and burnt out and about this mess which began in 2003...ugh.

RECORD EVERYTHING and hire the best legal gunslinger you can find!