Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  FLAME WARS    What Makes Family?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Makes Family?
 Login/Join

Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Thanks. What's ass-like is bawling and pouring this out in front of you all Smile But it's one of those things, a huge wave of emotion that just comes over me, and then I have to let it out, or I don't know. It's cathartic, obviously, and that release valve is necessary or I think I'd explode.

Whoosh!

And then I'm calm, and a bit more clear headed (though I have a splitting headache right now).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22785 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
And I've just started the letter Smile It's actually coherent so far, though to be honest I have only written two paragraphs. But a journey of a thousand steps and all that Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22785 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I might be too late, but *hugs*

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JP:
Thanks. What's ass-like is bawling and pouring this out in front of you all Smile But it's one of those things, a huge wave of emotion that just comes over me, and then I have to let it out, or I don't know. It's cathartic, obviously, and that release valve is necessary or I think I'd explode.

Whoosh!

And then I'm calm, and a bit more clear headed (though I have a splitting headache right now).

Ass-like? Bullshit Razz

Welcome to "human", and knowing you have a safe place and friends here.

shooting moonbeams out of her a(censored)e.
~Joe

Posts: 24396 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
pouring in extra *hugs*

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Biscuitkeeper
Picture of Matt Cable
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry I haven't chimed in earlier. You've received great advice from everyone and I'd expect no less from your board family.

I don't envy you at all. I know this hasn't been easy for you. No one said it would or should be.

I don't feel sorry for you either though. As BeeZee said, this is being human. You wear your heart on your sleeve and that's what makes you one of the special ones. I know you'll get through this, whatever path it takes. And I'm absolutely sure that your relationship with your wife and daughter will be stronger because of this.

I don't like to see you hurt or struggle, but somehow this will be a good thing.

You know how to get in touch with me if you ever want to talk.

Posts: 10767 | Location: Michigan | Registered: April 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
I'm re-reading the thread in its entirety before jumping back in to more writing this morning. I'm to the rejection point of the letter now, and this struck a particular nerve.
quote:
Originally posted by Alinda, the lost girl in long stockings:
quote:
Originally posted by JP:
I really don't feel like I can win this, to make this right. I'll end up doing what's best for me, and hurt him in the process, and hurting him just should be what's best for me. Y'know?
Yes, sometimes the extents of what can make us feel better might have cruel repercussions. It's the problem I'm facing too, I want to be honest but it sometimes seems like my honesty is a manifestation of cruelty and pettiness. What is good for ourselves is not always the best for others, and the moral implications of this simple fact can be infinite and quite nerve-wrecking. I'm not advocating hedonism, as it easily becomes selfishness, but there are situations in which you must make yourself the priority and I believe this is one of them *hugs tightly*

What I'm finding, just now, is that honesty makes it easier. Since I really do hold no grudges, since I've forgiven him (and already said so earlier in the letter), honesty seems to be making it easier to write, making it less cruel. I think it's because I am being honest with myself and with him that I know deep down I'm not being cruel, and that my feelings aren't petty. I know it. I feel it. So telling him thanks but no thanks is how I feel, not out of anger or spite or wanting to hurt him, but because it's what I need. As long as I'm honest, and compassionate, I think I can make this work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

The Doughmaster
Picture of TheatreGeek
posted Hide Post
*more hugs*

Also, what my husband said. You can talk to either or both of us anytime.

~ Non-Mod-Amy, aka Amy of the Lost Ark

You are a Bookholder. To prompt, or...LINE! (not to prompt) --not to prompt. That is the question. Whether t'is nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of a bad memory, or to take arms against a sea of textual deviations, and...LINE! (by opposing) --by opposing them...LINE! (end) --end...LINE! (them) --end them...LINE! (to prompt, to correct; no more; and by a correction to say we end the heart-ache of a really terrible performance) You didn't have to give me the whole thing! I know it!

Posts: 11747 | Location: Michigan | Registered: August 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Cable:
I'm sorry I haven't chimed in earlier. You've received great advice from everyone and I'd expect no less from your board family.

I don't envy you at all. I know this hasn't been easy for you. No one said it would or should be.

I don't feel sorry for you either though. As BeeZee said, this is being human. You wear your heart on your sleeve and that's what makes you one of the special ones. I know you'll get through this, whatever path it takes. And I'm absolutely sure that your relationship with your wife and daughter will be stronger because of this.

I don't like to see you hurt or struggle, but somehow this will be a good thing.

You know how to get in touch with me if you ever want to talk.

Don't be sorry, my friend. There's never an obligation to post, even in a thread/situation like this. You know that, but I just wanted to say it Smile As you say, I've received a lot of great advice, and I appreciate all of it. I also appreciate the encouragement that I will get through this. It sounds so funny to say, but sometimes the whole situation feels over my head and it's easy to feel like I won't get through this. It's nice to have the reminder, that I have the strength and that I'm doing what I need to do. Thanks, Mattvid, and everyone.

Finished reading, so going back to writing. I have a feeling the first draft of this will be done today! Smile Stay tuned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
98% done and I am happy. Taking a much deserved break and gonna come back to it later, then let Rae have a read and see where I am by the end of the week.

Thank you all!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
It feels really weird knowing I'm sending this tomorrow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

has no knowledge of the Munich Incident, so stop asking
Picture of Wayfarer
posted Hide Post
Bit late to this thread but ~hugs~ anyway.

I think you've been given some very good advice & you've made a decision that's tight for you.Smile Naturally, it's going to feel weird, especially as it's been on your mind for so long.
~Good luck~

Posts: 5864 | Location: The Cast Iron Shore | Registered: September 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
So Rae and I talked for 3 hours last night. I think the finality is an issue. I think it's the right thing, but thinking it and doing it are very different. I'm not sure I'm sending this today. I dunno, we'll see.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
I just printed off what I think is the final version. I think I'm dating it and signing it and going to put it in the mail tomorrow or Friday. This is a pretty pointless post, but I wanted to let you know the status. So many of you have given me great advice, offered kind words, supported me, just listened while I cried and poured out my heart on my sleeve. I feel I owe it to you to the end Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
*hugs*

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Companion to owls
Picture of cloverheart
posted Hide Post
*SmilehugsesSmile*

Posts: 11802 | Location: home? | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
Wow. I've just read this thread. You lot are amazing.

Good advice everywhere. It must be so good to be able to speak about your troubles to the people on this board and get such a decent perspective on it.

I do hope he accepts your letter the way you write it JP and that you can relax a bit and not worry about it too much in the future. I cannot imagine how hard it must be for you.

Good luck JP. x

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2709 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
The letter is out in today's mail! Thanks so so very much to all of you for everything. It is much appreciated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
I've just been reading as I was too confused in my own mind to say anything sensible, but reading this last page, you seem to have arrived at a very sensible, calm point, and a good set of decisions. Congratulations on getting there, and on posting the letter. Good luck for whatever follows after. x

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15843 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post