Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  FLAME WARS    thread days feel ... when you for those part2
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 38
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

thread days feel ... when you for those part2
 Login/Join

Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
earlier this week after asking for a recipe and being told it was a boxed mix and I said that they were really good* but I usually prefer to bake thing from scratch. I was told that 'I need to get a life'.

*and it was pretty good, Betty Crocker gluten free brownie mix - I know there are some Boardies who need gluten free - it could have been a bit more chocolate-y for my taste buds, but I never would have guessed it was gluten free.

So apparently I need a life... where do I get one of those?

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dane Cook's Final Horcrux
Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
don't listen to them, Maeve - I do all my baking from scratch too, and I'm not half as good at it as you are!

Posts: 20848 | Registered: November 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
it's just that every once in a while my life really does seem useless and unfullfilled and to have it hammered home like that just really depresses me.

And my treacherous brain will keep replaying that moment. I mean, my own inner whiny bitch says this to me all the time, so it's gotta be right when some perfect stranger says it, right?? (this is what goes through my head and deep down I know it's wrong, but I'm stuck in the shallow end I guess)

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dane Cook's Final Horcrux
Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
I think your life sounds pretty cool altogether, Maeve!

Posts: 20848 | Registered: November 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
Oh Maeve, when I read your post, I assumed the person who said that to you was actually the one feeling defensive and inadequate! When you state what is just your taste preference and your skill level, perhaps s/he heard is you telling her how lazy and unskilled S/HE was (and I know you weren't saying that), and s/he felt inadequate, and lashed out at you. I'm not excusing her rudeness, of course, but just saying that exchange really does say more about her than it ever would about you!

*hugs*

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15843 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
I thought the same thing as Hive, as if the person was all defensive and "oh well excuse me" about it and had to be rude so as not to feel completely inadequate Smile Personally, I love hearing about your baking exploits and am always in awe of how much you bake and enjoy. I STILL haven't made my first loaf of bread or cinnamon rolls yet Roll Eyes and I'm reminded of that whenever I see you baking on the board or facebook, and think "wow, how cool is that".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22785 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oestre sparagmos!
Picture of fionchadd
posted Hide Post
*hugs maeve*

don't take it to heart. I'm always uber-jealous when I hear tales about your baking Smile

EP now available for FREE download! Click Here

"Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten"

a peek inside the whirlwind of my thoughts

Posts: 10543 | Location: deepest darkest somerset | Registered: December 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Girded for battle
Picture of aisha
posted Hide Post
Yes, I wish that person an Interesting Life, in the full Pratchett sense of the term. Let's see how much they like it. Muahaha...

Posts: 1312 | Location: Glasgow | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
thanks guys! all of you always make me feel better when I'm grumpy, which is probably why I posted my gripe. :

I do actually have to bake bread today.

If I could somehow fix my back and neck I would go to culinary school and then open a bakery.

has no member title
Picture of His Noodle Girl
posted Hide Post
My marketing prof. once told us how when they first put out boxed mashed potatoes (just stir with water) a lot of consumers were complaining that it wasn't coming out right.
Further studies revealed that housewives back then tended to add milk or other ingredients, even though they weren't supposed to. They did it because they felt they were being bad wives by using convenience products. The company reacted by changing the product so you had to add milk to it, which made everyone happy.

Similarly, housewives were asked to make judgements of people just by reading these people's shopping lists. Not surprisingly, people with convenience products in their lists were labled as "lazy" and a couple of other unflattering things.

So yeah, just saying that while you were just talking about a preference, what she heard might have been, "I'm not a lazy goodfornothing bitch like you. *I* bake mine from scratch."

That said, she was ridiculously oversensitive and rude as I cannot imagine you saying anything in an even remotely arrogant tone. Besides, the 1950s are long past.

__
I like it maybe 63 percent!

Posts: 15475 | Location: Bouncing round in bathrooms! | Registered: October 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
actually her statement was just sort of the straw that broke the camel's back kind of thing, I quite often feel like my life is useless and pointless and I can blame it on that car accident, but it doesn't change the fact that I quite often feel that I'm not a productive member of society.

People think it's lucky that I get to stay home all day and often say, 'gee, it must be nice'.

No it's not, it's bloody boring! Thank fuck for the internet and books so that I could track down some interesting things to keep me occupied in my pain filled little corner of hell!

and I can sound awfully arrogant and condescending, but I honestly don't mean to be. Smile

/end rant Smile

ETA: And I really *am* lucky - because otherwise I never would have met any of you lovely wonderful funny brilliant clever people and I am quite happy that I have met you - either online or in person. You guys are awesome! Big Grin

Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
I get the most bizarre flack for being a guy who likes to a cook on something other than a barbecue. Never understood it. Prejudice is just so weird.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has no member title
Picture of His Noodle Girl
posted Hide Post
Maeve, I think pointlessness and uselessness have nothing to do with being at home. You can be a wage slave with a pointless life, too.

If you're unhappy with lack of point, maybe you could find something meaningful (to you) to do. But I also think that there is something meaningful, important and wonderfully delicious about baking a homemade cake from scratch, about devoting time to getting it just right.

__
I like it maybe 63 percent!

Posts: 15475 | Location: Bouncing round in bathrooms! | Registered: October 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
If I had better cut-and-paste, and if my hands weren't cold, I'd copy here all the gazillion pictures of the gorgeous things Maeve has made, and taken photos of, and shown us. (I'm including Dev in this list.)

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15843 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Biscuitkeeper
Picture of Matt Cable
posted Hide Post
*points Maeve to picture*

Posts: 10767 | Location: Michigan | Registered: April 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
I fully realize the f'ing irony of whining on the board about having so much work to do while not actually doing it, but my motivation is fuckall right now because there is just. too. much. to. do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22785 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
*hugs*

mountains get climbed one step at a time.

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20596 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
enlightened website user
Picture of the other duncan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smaug:
*hugs*

And it's just a slip, trip and a fall to get back down Big Grin

(not his real name)

Posts: 6861 | Location: darned eff I know | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by duncan s.:
quote:
Originally posted by Smaug:
*hugs*

And it's just a slip, trip and a fall to get back down Big Grin

*fwaps*

what is up with you people this week! you're wearing out my bat!

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20596 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oestre sparagmos!
Picture of fionchadd
posted Hide Post
ugh, I feel horribly ill

EP now available for FREE download! Click Here

"Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten"

a peek inside the whirlwind of my thoughts

Posts: 10543 | Location: deepest darkest somerset | Registered: December 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post