Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  more Other Works    Mayday, mayday! Looking for a story.Could be spoilers, I don't know.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mayday, mayday! Looking for a story.Could be spoilers, I don't know.
 Login/Join

posted
Hello guys,

I am looking for a story I heard quite a while ago on a podcast featuring various people reading excerpts from books and short stories. I’m not entirely sure the story is written by Neil Gaiman, because my memory is a bit vague, but I clearly remember the podcast was connected to him. I do however remember bits of the said story so here they are. I really hope someone can voice this and shade some light. I apologies if it’s very chaotic, some parts are clearer than others. Confused

The story begins with a group of boys hanging out under a bridge. One of the boys has never kissed a girl, or liked a girl, and the other boys tease him. I also think he was younger than them. But after some time he meets this girl, I believe she may have been a neighbor, and really starts liking her. There was a picture of her he kept somewhere in his room and occasionally glanced at. I think he lived with only one relative. There was a bit where the two have a picture session in a photo booth on their date. This is the bulk of the story I remember.

There was a tricky part also – I’m not sure, but I think the girl was in his imagination and the picture was from some magazine or a poster he was given by said relative, whom I believe worked at the cinema. Also the story ends with a twist. I could be very, very, very wrong, but I think it turns out that actually the boy isn’t real.
It was written from a first person perspective and if it helps, on the podcast it was read by a man.

It’s not “Looking for the Girl” – the protagonist and his interest in the mystery story are both very young, maybe 12-13.

I really hope this mess of a description helps!
Thank you guys.

Posts: 2 | Registered: August 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
Hi Nano

I know what story you are referring to. I'm going to post my answer in white, so if you highlight you will read it, but your section had wrote a lot of spoilers in it so to save people who haven't read it before.

You are taking about The Thing About Cassandra, which is in his new book, Trigger Warnings. Hope that helps!

Smaug

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20595 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you so, so much, Smaug! I would have known this if only I had the book, or did look at the titles, that might have triggered a memory.

I don't want to spoil it for anyone, so I suppose I can delete the post? Or edit it so it doesn't reveal this much information?

Once more, thank you for your quick response!

Best wishes,

Nano

Posts: 2 | Registered: August 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
Leave it here, someone else might just be looking too Smile

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20595 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post