Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  more Other Works    Odd and the Frost Giants
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Odd and the Frost Giants
 Login/Join

posted
Following Amazon.com's bargain on Absolute Sandman 1 Amazon.co.uk is giving a whopping 90% discount on Odd and the Frost Giants.
Instead of forking out an exhorbitant £1 it is listing as pre-order for 10 shiny pence.
Odd and the Frost Giants for 2 bob.

Think I'll order 10 and pass them on . . .

Posts: 34 | Registered: September 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No one buy this?
Somewhat dissapointed that my local supermarket only had 2 copies of Odd and loads of the other titles . . .
Is that a good thing?
Does it mean that they've sold loads? or just didn't get many in because they didn't expect to sell many?
Anyway, lovely illustrations by mr Buckingham.

Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
heya

i started a general world book day thread in the Worlds End where 3 or 4 people admitted to buying it.

I bought mine in WH Smiths today and was even happier when my dirt cheap books became even dirt cheaper because they have a 3 for 2 on childrens books!

I might try and buy some more later to corrupt people with. Smile

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20595 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
Amazon honored that discount as well for those of us that preordered it.
Bought, read it, took an hour or less to read. Decent story, but it is a short story, not one that made me go 'OMG WOW!' but good.

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
yes, i'd say it was a pleasant story.

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20595 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it - I got it at WH Smith with a World Book Day token - which is what they were for (and then got one for someone else) They were only £1 after all!

I looked again on Saturday and the only books left from that offer were the Captain Underpants books (all the Odds had gone!)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2709 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No reason whastsoever why everyone should get a copy: its ten pence.

Posts: 103 | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
I ain't never heard of it. And appears Amazon.us doesn't get it til the end of the month? Anyone care to enlighten me?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22785 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
it's a short book neil wrote for World Book Day which was published in the UK and sold for £1.

It is a cute little story and three are up for grabs to posters who enter the board babies competion.

so far it has not been published in the US, although from what you are saying, it might be.

~

CHIKKINZ?

posted Hide Post
I see Amazon UK has "the Tales of Odd" listed for release on the the 5th of October 2009 . . .
quote:
The two stories in this exciting novella follow the adventures of the intrepid young Viking Odd. As a brave and solitary twelve-year-old, in the first tale, he endeavours to free three Norse Gods trapped in the bodies of an eagle, a bear and a fox; then, in the second, a few years older, taller and stronger he sets off on a testing and epic journey to the Holy City of Jerusalem. But of course with Neil Gaiman's wit and style the stories transcend the normal and become humorous, rich and layered tales of a life lived courageously.

It's a Hardcover (so don't expect Amazon to sell it for two bob) priced at £10.99 (although Amazon are taking pre-orders for £8.79).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ScotiaNova,

lives deliberately
Picture of Alaura
posted Hide Post
So one of my bosses calls me into her cubicle announcing: "I have something you want. I have something you want very, very much." Since it was right before lunch time, I was hoping it would be something chocolate, but it was even better...
an Advance Readers Copy of the US edition of Odd and the Frost Giants.

You see...I have the incredible luck to work for a company that selects upcoming award winning kids and YA lit while they are still in manuscript form. I'm not part of the selection process, but once the slections have been made, I get to read the ARCs and tell my clients, school and public librarians about them.

So Odd and the Frost Giants is waiting for me, tantalizing me with it's crisp cover, waiting for it's spine to be cracked...once my boss finishes it. *sigh*

ego forceps ergo ego forceps

"Chives?"�
"Yes, m'lud?"�
"Is that Ms Ephemera hovering over the croquet lawn?"�
"Indeed m'lud. She's marshalled all the haggle-dans. Missy-twigs and vale-nymphs from Claypole Woods. Apparently she intends to tear this house down and dance on the ruins."�
"Well, Chives, you'd better start the car, what? And pack my tennis things too"�
--- Joe 3Heads

Posts: 11426 | Location: In a perpetual state of Ohio | Registered: December 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
*bump*
I can't believe it has taken me this long to read it. I did enjoy it and it is a fast read. Lately I have been getting my coworkers to read Neil and this one was well liked by all.

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sjoerd3000
posted Hide Post
I have a copy of it and I gave someone a copy as a present Smile Enjoyed it Smile bit short though Wink

HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE

Posts: 19 | Location: Groningen, The Netherlands | Registered: March 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the Penitent
Picture of Artguy C.
posted Hide Post
Just listened to the Audio Book version online and I thought it was very nice!
Wishing it was a bit longer as well, but he DID leave it WIDE open for a sequel.

Ya never know! : )

Posts: 2666 | Location: Greater or Lesser Minneapolis, MN USA | Registered: March 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
it was a short book, but that was the point, it was released in the UK as part of world book day, where each school child gets a £1 book voucher, and there are a selection of books available which cost..you guessed it £1. These are just short books to wet the appetite of children who wouldn't normally read.

~

CHIKKINZ?

Picture of ylvs
posted Hide Post
Odd And The Frost Giants somehow went under my Gaiman radar. I stumbled upon it in my local book store and bought the German edition to read it to my children. (I'm a bit afraid of reading the translation, as most translations from English to German are very bad but I can't wait till kids speak English)
So not having read it yet I'd like to know for which age you recommend it. My older daughter is 10 and for example read HP I-V.
I consider Coraline still a bit too creepy, the button eyes scare me a lot ...
I'll be grateful for opinions.

"Welcome stranger. The paths are treacherous today." Tad Williams, The Dragonbone Chair

Posts: 70 | Location: Kassel, where the Brothers Grimm collected the fairy tales | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ylvs
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to do a bit beforehand reading.

Turned the first page, read
"Der lächelnde Odd und die Reise nach Asgard
translated from American English by ..."

Stupid editors! They should watch the Simpson's episode purely for educational reasons.

The name of the translator gave me hope though. It's translated by Andreas Steinhöfel, one of the best German Writers for kids/ young adults/ (and peeps like me) imho.
That really makes me hope the language won't make my teeth hurt.

Steinhövel - among various other good books - wrote a lovely Neverwhere inspired novel "Der magische prince" set in the underground of Berlin. And when I say inspired I mean an hommage with own spirit and ideas. Much as Williams' Memory Sorrow Thorn trilogy is an hommage to LOTR.

Taking of German authors and Neverwhere: a few years ago there was the much hyped (in Germany) trilogy Lycidas, Lilith and Lumen by Christoph Mazi. That is the most impertinent plagiat I ever read as a printed book. Neverwhere blown up to three big volumes and not a single original thought or character on any page. Marzi should have been sued for that instead of making money.

Ooops, got into rambling mode, sorry.

*sits silently in a corner*

"Welcome stranger. The paths are treacherous today." Tad Williams, The Dragonbone Chair

Posts: 70 | Location: Kassel, where the Brothers Grimm collected the fairy tales | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post