Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  more Other Works    Neverwhere-Door costume input
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neverwhere-Door costume input
 Login/Join

posted
Hello all!
I just joined this forum! Whee!

I am going to the House on the Rock/American Gods party in October, but as I don't have a particularly godlike countenance, I decided to go as another Gaiman character...Door, from Neverwhere. I happen to think I look rather a lot like her (or at least the way she's described in the book, which is what I"m going for). Here are some photos of me for reference:

These are from a previous incarnation of a Door outfit that I made from some thrift-store bits and pieces a while back. However, i want this costume to be MORE AWESOMER...since Neil himself is judging the costume contest, and I could win a ride on the World's largest Carousel!!

As a note, I am a fashion design student and seamstress by trade.

Anyway, here are the materials that I have gathered for this project:

Ignore the other crap on the floor...my workspace is a mess >_>;;
These are the fabrics I have so far. From left to right, clockwise:
offwhite chiffon, some kind of purplish twill, burgundy lace, white lace, cream lace, burgundy velveteen in the center, burgundy crinkle satin, and fancy brocade.

The description of her outfit is sort of vague, just saying that she has lots of layers of various fabrics on. I am thinking of making a vest-like contraption from the brocade, but I"m not sure what else to do. Any suggestions?

Also, i know it's a bit premature to think about footwear, but here are my options:

Engineer boots (dirty 'cause they're my explorin' boots)

Victorian-style boots

And my ass-kicking stompy boots (as seen in the above photos)

WHich do you like best?

I also collect old keys, which I'd like to incorporate into the outfit in some way, since I think keys are an appropriate emblem for the character of Door XD Here are just a few of my collection:

But I have a ton of them.

Anyway, any input you have would be appreciated! I know that the way I picture the character is certainly not the way everyone else may picture her, so I'd like to hear your opinions.

Thanks!

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
was not written by a man named "Cougar"
Picture of smalltown
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about sewing (although I'm trying to do some self-teaching), but I love the cream lace you have. You'll definitely find people with opinions and input in the sewing thread over in Worlds End.

----------------
Duck...duck...duck...duck...BOOBS!

Posts: 4096 | Location: Tacoma! (Because really, who wants to live in Seattle?) | Registered: October 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
oooh, keys! I love old random keys. I only have a few though. I like the Engineer Boots.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25130 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
Are you thinking of sewing the keys into the skirt? or as jewerly.

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2470 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
probably a little bit of both. I usually wear them as jewelry but I'd like to incorporate them into the outfit somewhere as well.

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time avant garde shrubbery inspector who breaths fire and lets out a mighty YAHR!
Picture of ladykatza
posted Hide Post
I think I might have that exact same red lace. Is it stretchy? I used it as an middle skirt of a crinoline.

I have not actually READ Neverwhere, only seen the BBC rendition.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Discordian Priestess, Keeper of the Golden Pine-Apple.

Has Been Assimilated.

blog or not

Posts: 8877 | Location: ain't from 'round these parts | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love what you've done and hope you don't mind me taking some ideas from yours for mine, but I have to recommend the big brown leather coat. I never picture her without it.

Posts: 1 | Registered: January 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like you have old keys and personalized, are that all working? not a key master huhh...

"works @ overstock doors store"

Posts: 1 | Location: USA | Registered: March 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post