Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  more Other Works    When and What was YOUR discovery of the Gaiman Genius?
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When and What was YOUR discovery of the Gaiman Genius?
 Login/Join

Picture of Black Wings
posted Hide Post
Yeah, he introduced me to comics too. Have you read Alan Moore's Swamp Thing? It inspired Neil I think, and it's almost nearly as good as Sandman Smile

----------------------------------

Black Wings loves all of you, even though many of you are new since he vanished for a year.

Boundless love for all!

Posts: 614 | Location: London, England | Registered: February 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I first heard about Neil Gaiman on a Marvel podcast, it was him discussing THE ETERNALS with Joe Quesada I believe. It was from there that I got excited and enthusiastic about reading the series. And when I read it, I started falling in love with his words and the comedy in those words.

A few months later I picked up ANANSI BOYS and I've been hooked ever since, I started buying more and more of his books, from American Gods to Smoke and Mirrors. The only ones I didn't get, or at least not yet, were Stardust and Caroline.

Right now, I'm going through SMOKE AND MIRRORS and every single one of the stories have charmed me and engaged me and kept me reading more.

Posts: 103 | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When Good Omens came out in 1991, one of my friends bought it for me (she liked the cover!) and I've been hooked ever since.

I particularly love the short stories... little moments of complete joy!

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heard good things about Neil's work, picked up a copy of Neverwhere. The rest, as they say, is history.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin

Posts: 4 | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Surprisingly, I wasn't introduced to Mr Gaiman's works via Sandman. I was at the library one day and I saw the Neverwhere mini-series by the BBC on DVD. I thought it sounded interesting, checked it out, and was immediately a fan. Me being the obsessive girl that I am, looked into everything else I could by Neil Gaiman. And there it is Smile

Experience is not what happens to a man; it is what a man does with what happens to him

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a Pratchett fan I read Good Omens years and years ago. It was full of the classic Pratchett humour but I absolutely loved the darker edge that Neil seemed to have brought to it. Looking on the fly-leaf of the book it seemed that at the time Neil's other work was mostly in writing comic books. "What a shame," I thought - "I hope he gets around to writing something proper, it'd probably be quite good."

Fast forward 8 or 10 years to my Gap year travels and I stop off in the Borders in Auckland between the hostel I'm staying in and the construction site I'm working on to get enough money to survive my last month until the flight home. I happened upon American Gods in the Fantasy section and picked it up to have a look. Ended up reading the first few chapters right there in the book stands and was totally engrossed. The dark, bleak style of the book, the humour, the immersion in mythology was simply excellent - unfortunately I just couldn't afford to buy it!

Over the next year at uni I'd have a look for American Gods in the bookshops every now and then, but could never seem to find it. Eventually I picked up Stardust instead and had a new all time favourite favourite (ok, joint favourite with Catch 22) book. It is still the most charming book I have ever read, but with enough sex and danger to make it the embodiment of everything that a real fairy-tale should be. The thing that really struck me though, was just how different it was from what I'd read of American Gods.

Then I read the rest of American Gods, Neverwhere and Anansi Boys (and would rank them in that order) and was still struck by how someone could write novels in so many different styles and be so incredibly succesful at each one. Most authors can only ever write one style of novel, and most of them aren't even half as good as any one of Neil's. Somewhere in there I also read Smoke and Mirrors and recently Fragile Things (favourite short story - probably Snow, Glass, Apples, an incredible take on such a classic story).

So with not much more 'real' work of his left to read, and seeing the Stardust release date being pushed back I decided what the hell, I'll give Sandman a go, a lot of people seem to like it and they can't all just be comic book geeks, right? I ordered Preludes and Nocturnes, read it, and sure enough Neil Gaiman's inventiveness still shone through. I ordered and read the next few in ones and two's until I got to Fables and Reflections. The last tale, Ramadan, is one of the finest pieces of story telling I've ever seen, and made so much the better with the comic book format. I kept having to force myself to stop, or go back a panel or two to absorb the golden cityscapes and illustrations because my brain was trying (as it normally does) to soak up the text as quickly as possible and get to the end of the story. It was only at that point that I really became convinced that the comic format really worked as well as traditional books (at least in Neil's case), I got the rest of the series and I just finished The Wake this morning!

I think I still have the Death comics, the extra Sandman issues and Coraline and the other kids books to read, I can't wait for Stardust to open, I'm desperate for another full length novel to be written... and that is how I discovered the genius (which is a very overused word, but in this case there can be no substitute) of Neil Gaiman's words.

Sorry it was so long, I didn't think I had that much to say! I guess he's made quite an impact on me these last few years. Smile

Posts: 7 | Registered: May 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had never heard of NG until I saw Hank mention neil in his vlog, www.brotherhood2.com. A few weeks later I accidentally found Stardust at the library, took it home and have now developed a serious literary crush. What an amazing book. And I am so happy I have so much more by NG to read and discover!

Posts: 1 | Registered: June 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was in college, I became an intern in this really famous company. And what really surprised me was that everyone loves to read books just like me. And almost all of them were reading Neil Gaiman books. Every desk had a copy of Coraline or Neverwhere on top of it. So I bought American Gods and that was when I discovered that a genius by the name of Neil Gaiman exists. After that I bought Neverwhere and then I turned every bookshop upside down to find a copy of Coraline (which was rare at that time). Then I started buying all of his books, even his graphic novels, until I ran out of money. But I couldn't help it! I'm addicted to his works.

Posts: 3 | Registered: June 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dirgon
posted Hide Post
I was living with a couple of friends in my first apartment when I first discovered Gaiman's work. It was Neverwhere and it was on my room-mates bookshelf. It became my favorite book. I've since read all his novels but still haven't become interested in the Sandman series.

Posts: 2 | Registered: June 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to admit, I'm very new to the world of Neil Gaiman. I guess my first exposure to any of his work would be "Mirrormask". My girlfriend is a fervent Henson fan, and so we watched the film together and both thought the story was beautiful.

Being the superhero geek that I am, I decided to pick up "Marvel: 1602" the other day from a local bookstore. Now, I know it's thought of as one of Mr. Gaiman's lesser works, but I was completely blown away by this thing. It was so imaginative, so original. I had to read more from this guy.

So, after hearing rumblings from my comicbook-lovin' friends about "Sandman" I decided to make a blind buy. Absolute Sandman Vol. 1. It should be here tomorrow, and I absolutely cannot wait to dig into it. I can't wait to turn over every stone in this new and exciting world of Gaiman's work.

Posts: 1 | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I came across The SANDMAN in the school library.

Posts: 2 | Registered: July 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wigber
Picture of Kradlum
posted Hide Post
I expect it was Sandman. I was in the Duran Duran fan club, but if I had that book, I don't remember it.

Posts: 214 | Location: London | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was '06, my dad is a costco fiend, he got himself a copy of Fragile Things, thought I'd like it, so he bought me a copy too. I absolutely loved October In the Chair, it was probably my favorite of that book. However, it wasnt until Aug/Sept '07 that I read the original version of Stardust ( i'd seen the movie, liked it, saw the book in a local book store few weeks later, bout a month after that I bought it) and just felt it of the utmost importance to read what ever material I can of Gaiman's. Because...

Gaiman has been the most captivating author whose work ive read, who consistantly continues to captivate me, no matter what audience the respective piece is aimed at. His imagination is what i love the most about his stories.

Posts: 2 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elysiancicatrix
posted Hide Post
I was working at a bookshop. I picked up the uncorrected proof copy of American Gods off our staff bookshelf. I devoured it.

I obtained a copy of Neverwhere and my obsession was complete. Gaiman; the giftedly gruesome and grotesque genius had graced my dark little existence.

I collected the novels fairly quickly, and the bookstore always carried stock of all available Gaiman novels; while I was working there, I converted the faithless.

*trixi's first Gaiman graphic novel:
The graphic novels were a bit of a tease. I read a friends copy of Fables & Reflections and I knew I had to possess them all. But I lacked the funds at the time.
But I did, eventually, with my first growed up paycheck as a genetic researcher.

Except for A Game of You, which was temporarily out of stock due to reprinting, which I received as a gift from the aforementioned friendly who tracked it down via the local underground comic black market...

*trixi's first Gaiman on screen:
Neverwhere. I have watched this series several times over. And it remains excellent, in all it's low budget magnificence. I do not know how I feel about a movie :?
Mirrormask, Mononoke and Howl's Moving Castle were cool.

Stardust. Suffice to say, superlatives elude me.

I have been anticipating Beowulf for quite some time. I hope it's execution does not disappoint.

Oh, I know this was about first encounters of the Gaiman kind; but I see every experience of his works as a phantabulous new wonder. *swoon* :-)

"It is a fool's prerogative to utter truths that no one else will speak."
~Neil Gaiman

Posts: 1 | Registered: October 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was surfing around DeviantArt and found some awesome fanart of Aziraphale and Crowley. I'd never heard of the characters, or the book (Good Omens, of course), but I got an idea of the characters' personalities from the art, and I just had to go buy it. I read it in about 3 days and LOVED it. It's now one of my favorite books.

Posts: 1 | Registered: November 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
of course Big Grin

*biiiiiiiig good omens fan*

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20599 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mitsuko
posted Hide Post
I was beaten mercilessly over the head with a copy of Sandman "Preludes & Nocturnes". After dispatching my attacker, I relieved her of her attempted-murder weapon and read it. I found reading the book altogether more pleasant than being hit with it.

Posts: 41 | Registered: October 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has been eaten by a grue.
Picture of Apathy
posted Hide Post
a college friend was always on about this author: "blah blah blah, you'd really like it, yadda yadda, scorpio like you! how can you say no?" and so on. so finally I read Neverwhere and realized she was the most brilliant person on the face of planet earth, and thus an obsessive fangirl was born.

it is important to note that this same friend also tried as best she could to indoctrine a group of 8/9-year-olds with Coraline. I'm not sure how successful she was (8/9-year-olds don't listen particularly well, and my group of 8/9-year-olds was atrocious and time-consuming), but the attempt was admirable.

edit: for shameful tense. *smacks hand*

~ fLame Woosh ~
Elite Special Force Procrastinator, trained in High Arts of Extended Coffee Breaks and
Master Linguist of the Water Cooler Conversation

Posts: 7134 | Location: the gloaming | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of literally, rosary the good war that fell
posted Hide Post
i picked up american gods almost two years ago and read 1/2 of it by last year...i've had a crazy neverwhere-ish kind of life and picked the book up again in november...finished it in 2 days. been on a gaiman trip ever since...I picked up a copy of Stardust, then Neverwhere, and now 150 pages into anansi boys...in between each, I'm reading and hunting down books written by eugene burdick (bitch of a time finding them)...i'm having an interesting time reading anansi because it feels like what happens when i go home to visit my sister, and when she comes up to see me! lol...

Posts: 5 | Location: US | Registered: December 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of endless_nights
posted Hide Post
Hmm...it was about 6 years ago when I was 9 or so. I read "Coraline," loved it, and didn't even take note of the author. About a year ago, I got "Neverwhere," found out that it was the same gut that wrote "Coraline," and then got into his other works. After "Neverwhere" it was "Stardust," "Anansi Boys," and then I got into "Sandman." "Sandman" go me going with Neil's graphic works and graphic novels in general. Then it was "Smoke and Mirrors," "American Gods," "Fragile Things," and now ANYTHING Gaiman.

*...Listening to the Chambers of your Heart...*

Posts: 53 | Registered: September 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post