Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  more Other Works    When and What was YOUR discovery of the Gaiman Genius?
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When and What was YOUR discovery of the Gaiman Genius?
 Login/Join

Picture of Flight of death
posted Hide Post
a few years ago I found Neverwhere, took it with me, so when my friends saw me taking it, they started a discussion- one said, you'll like it, then I might give you the movie serial to it, then she meant, well, but American Gods is much more brilliant and important- and another one started, no, no, don't even dare to call yourself a Gaiman-fan- you not reading Sandman.#
So now I have started American Gods, Coraline and Sandman and just watched Stardust lol Smile
That's what I allways do when there are some exams comign near- go and search for as many books as possible so I don't have to go and start learning Smile)

Posts: 74 | Location: Neverwhere | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took a literature course in Science Fiction and Fantasy as San Jose State University. One of the required readings was Neverwhere, and the professor also recommended Sandman. So the first Gaiman book that I read was Neverwhere, all I've read of the comics is Endless Nights and The Dream Hunters. Since then, I have read American Gods, and I'm currently working on Smoke and Mirrors.

o===]======> </end post> <======[===o

"True wisdom is less presuming than folly. The wise man doubts often, and changes his mind, the fool is obstinate, and doubts not. He knows all things but his own ignorance."
-Akhenaten

Posts: 13 | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Dream Of A Thousand Cats from the third Sandman collection "Dream Country". My husband put it in my hands and said "Read this" firmly.
I've been hooked ever since...

Posts: 3 | Registered: January 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I first "met" Neil Gaiman trough the first part of The Sandman, preludes & nocturnes, in a dusty and overfilled store selling used books and comics in a yellow warehouse by the train station where I grew up. The comic was translated into norwegian. A few days later I found the second part, and I was happy.
That must be nearly ten years ago.
It's been a long time since I've thought about the book store by the train station.

Posts: 3 | Registered: January 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Great wyrm of Toronto
Picture of Mythos
posted Hide Post
It's strange but I don't think I ever actually posted here.

I was watching Space: The Imagination Station and they had a Shelf Space segment dealing and talking with Neil Gaiman and American Gods. Neil actually read a little bit from the book. I was starting University at the time, and I was going to enter the Creative Writing program in which I knew I would have to read new things apart from the usual science-fiction and Dragon Lance fantasy I'd been used to for the most part.

So I bought the hardcover of American Gods, and realized that I liked it. I liked it a lot. I mean, how can you resist a story with older and popular culture icons personified into gods? Wink At least, for me. After that, there was Neverwhere, then Stardust, then Smoke and Mirrors, Sandman: Orpheus, "Monarch of the Glen," The Sandman series (when I really started getting back into comics for real) and so on.

I've never looked back.

Posts: 6059 | Location: Canada | Registered: July 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vindictive Songbird
posted Hide Post
I was talking comics with a friend of mine who runs the local comic shop, and we were going through some of our favorite bits in Alan Moore's League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen when he asked me, "Have you ever read anything by Gaiman?" "Um... Are you going to shoot me if I tell you I don't know who that is?" He then started to laugh and wondered how I could be so into Alan Moore and have no idea who Neil Gaiman was. This must've been back in, I think the end of 2006. He handed me the reprinting of the first issue and said I could just have it since it was vitally important I read something by Gaiman.

I ended up getting hooked and bought the entire Sandman series. Then I was told by the same friend he writes novels as well and he gave me Smoke and Mirrors for my birthday. I've read almost everything except Neverwhere and Anansi Boys. I'm in the middle of AB, and I need to find Neverwhere. I bought it for the road trip to go see Projekt Revolution (because it was the first time Julien-K toured and I didn't want to miss it) but I haven't seen it since then.

For a while I'd thought that maybe rynsk (Ryan Shuck, the JK singer) had taken it because when I was emptying out my purse to find my camera at the meet and greet. That was one of the things I had him hold onto when I was emptying the bag. I remember 'cause he laughed and asked how I could fit so much stuff into such a little bag, after which he asked, "You brought a book with you? Wow, you were serious when you said you're a book worm." But when I saw him in November, he said he gave it back to me so it's probably lost in the black hole that is my room.

Sorry, rambling.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"I may be crazy enough to take on Batman, but the IRS? No thank you!" - The Joker, 'Joker's Millions'.

The shadows inside - Controlling my life
The confusion blinds my eyes
Facing the signs, I'm losing my mind
Always I'm stranded here
- Stranded, Julien-K

Posts: 139 | Location: Behind the Redwood Curtain, CA | Registered: February 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vindictive I've got an old paperback copy of neverwhere I could mail to you if you want, I found a hardcover in a goodwill. I discovered Neverwhere first in 1999, pasted it though all my friends, then found American Gods and it touched me, I've read American Gods about 105 times and I still don't tire of it. Good Omens comes in a close second, I hope they do a great movie of it soon. I've also read Smoke and Mirrors, Fragile Things, a few of the Sandman comics, coraline, wolves in the walls, I've seen stardust and the bbc neverwhere, mirrormask and beowolf eagerly awaiting coraline. Pretty much if Neil Gaiman has anything to do with it, I try to get my hands on it.

~Ashen

Posts: 2 | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
its good to see that im not the first person to read neverwhere first i bought it after never hearing of gaiman in borders bout 2 years ago when i first started my recent reading frenzy have since read stardust which kicks ass over the movie and anansi boys just started american gods this mornin on the train to work. poor shadow Frown

"Isn't it appropriate that the month of the tax begins with April Fool's Day and ends with cries of "May Day!"?"

Posts: 5 | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poisoner of Chonae
Picture of sammael
posted Hide Post
Preludes and Nocturnes, when I was 19, aqnd I've never looked back or regretted a moment of the many hours I've spent in Mr Gaiman's delightful worlds.

cause and effect:
the best often die by their own hand just to get away, and those left behind can never quite understand why anybody
would ever want to get away
from them.
Charles Bukowski Septuagenarian Stew

Posts: 243 | Location: lies to the east of Eden | Registered: February 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chlisher
posted Hide Post
Gaiman's on my Other-People's-List of Things To Read Before You Die. There's a bit of a story with that list, but we're talking about how I met his literature, eh?

Friend of mine asked me if I'd ever read Gaiman. I'd said no, with no intentions of reading Gaiman, as I was then currently on an Anne Rice binge and couldn't much think to read anything else. Alas... some time passed, I was in mad love with said-friend (and still am, always will be, platonicly). He'd, by this time, sent me wonderful music I was willing to listen to, so when he asked again if I'd read Gaiman, and I, again, said no, he told me I had to. So, being done with Rice and willing to listen to him, I went out and bought three books by Gaiman- an unknown in my life. Neverwhere, American Gods and Sandman Book of Dreams (only edited by hisself, of course). Neverwhere was first, and I certainly liked him enough to continue reading from there. Sandman Book of Dreams unfortunately was second. I do not recommend that book to anyone who hasn't read the graphic novels first. Sure, it's wonderful (who DOESN'T love Splatter?) but I still had no clue exactly what I was reading. Then came American Gods- the reason I proceeded to go into a Neil Gaiman binge. You just don't get much better than that.

I am the one, the only, LORD GOD CHLISH OF THE TICKS! All hail.

"What's green, hangs on the wall, and sings?"
"Billy, the large-mouth singing bass."

Posts: 91 | Location: "The north," she said. | Registered: March 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My brother got Preludes and Nocturnes as a Christmas present, but didn't really get it. Thought it was too weird. So, I started flicking through, and I fell in love with it. Eventually he gave it to me, and I went and bought the next two collections. Those first three are currently in the possession of my best friend, whom I have demanded to read them.

Posts: 1257 | Location: Bristol | Registered: March 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wigber
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine works in a bookstore in the US.

Neil Gaiman had visited their store for a signing/reading and my friend attended to him while he was there (2003), and told me that she thought he was *hot* and kept blushing around him.

She sent me a copy of "American Gods", which I really enjoyed.

It's the only Gaiman book I have read (so far).

Posts: 279 | Location: WGB | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
waggish jackanape
Picture of Royko
posted Hide Post
In college, somewhere in the middle of it my roommate and I went to a comic shop in town. He found the Sandman collections and told me his girlfriend (a lovely girl who looked suspiciously like Death) raved about them, and so I got Fables & Recollections. It was unlike any other comic I'd ever read. In fact, it was like what, in some unknown part of my mind, I'd always expected comics could be, but never had actually experienced.

Kind of surprisingly, despite my reaction to it, it took me several years before I started to read the other volumes.

---------------------------------------------------------------
So fluffy you could die.
(blog)

Posts: 6919 | Location: Chicago | Registered: October 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just now! School holidays looming, I had run out of Terry Pratchetts - my son gave me Neverwhere. Fantastic story. Sadly, I have just finished it - and it had just the ending I hoped it would! As someone who searches for crumbs after the last TimTam has gone from the packet, I asked same son and daughter-in-law (who are going to stay in Islington in 2 weeks time!) if they had any other of NG's amazingly clever and insightful writing? They have lent me Stardust, American Gods and the promise (delicious! - goodbye deadline for marking and rehearsals for drama kids) of Anansi Boys. Because I could leave my marking until tomorrow, or tomorrowmorrow, I shall renew my affair with the couch/the chair in the garden in the sun/my sunny bedroom if the cat will move over, and keep reading myself into Neil Gaiman's myriad worlds which are (scarily) so like my imaginings. I love London,and knew about the worlds underneath, tunnels and sewers (after the war, in the smoggy, foggy 50s and in the 60s they were still opening up fascinating bits of the Under London to repair it and we could see down the holes - or watch and listen to the massive pile drivers putting in new foundations in the black sticky mud, and knew that a rat - whilst I was walking to work amongst the cabbages when Covent Garden market was packing up at 7am, was never far away.....).and oh yes - the stupid Centrepoint building! Neverwhere brought all those memories back. Thanks. Don't know why I am typing all this. Just for fun maybe? : Smile Now - where did I put my black feather and directions to The Lamb & Flag.....

Posts: 1 | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doreen Nakami
posted Hide Post
I was asked a bilion times if my name has to do something with Neverwhere (not a usual name in my country Roll Eyes ) so I decided to read it someday. I went to the library and found "just" Smoke and mirrors - and totally loved it (it´s very popular, you can´t even buy it in czech, it´s completely sold out! Frown ) I´ve already enforced the books all my friends *addicted* Big Grin

We are the people our parents warned us about. (Jimmy Buffett)

Posts: 1 | Location: Prague/Liberec | Registered: July 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
for me i found his research in anasi boys very dedicated. this was refreshing to see he did not try to rely on the dialouge and dialect of the floridian transplant women. oh too often authors feel they have a grasp on the communication of certain cultural regions. it was also great how he did not come right out and say the race of these characters along with others. neil gaiman undoubtedly has a firm grasp on writing for entertaining. His sandman work introduced me to him , but forgive me if i was yet to be in awe of his work simply because there were other great writers/stories in this medium at the time of his sandman work. his ability to suck readers in was pretty evident then. but the platform was the crowning jewel of curiosity. DEATH . in his work to date death is always nearby, loomimg . yes this man has the recipe of sucess and that is death, can't live with it can't live without it.

Posts: 173 | Location: sun-room | Registered: July 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rune_Wolf
posted Hide Post
A million years ago when I was working as a stock monkey at GAP my manager handed me a copy of Neverwhere and said "read this, you'll like it." I have been hooked on Gaiman ever since.

Give me the mead. I gotta be hung over for the children.

Posts: 11 | Location: Brooklyn, Ny | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Halli
posted Hide Post
NG's like that to me, too. Only when I read something he's written, it's completely coincidental, no connection at all. It's funny, but the first (sort-of) road trip I took with my friend Richard, we ended up in D.C. at the portrait gallery (his idea, though). I was starved, and I bought a WAY too expensive sandwich. Richard was no doubt thinking what Richard Mayhew was when I read about it in Neverwhere that night. Anyway, it was humorous, and NG says that it sometimes happens to him, which anmuses me.

quote:
Originally posted by Michelle:
I'm a new fan, but stay with me...

My parents live in a very boring town. During the summer months, I live with my parents. In early June of this year, I was too poor to buy books, so I took a trip to the local library. I picked up "Sandman: Book of Dreams" because its cover was more interesting than the romance and/or war novels which occupy 95% of the library. I had no idea it was associated with comics (besides, my mom always told me that girls didn't read comics anyway).

As I read this book, something was nagging in the back of my mind. "The Dream King." I couldn't place it, but it was so familiar. Then I realized--

"If you need me, me and Neil'll be hanging out with the Dream King."

A line from a Tori Amos song. It was a sit-up-in-bed-flip-to-the-front-cover-lightbulb-goes-off kinda moment.

(No, I hadn't noticed that she had written something for the book.)

It simply captured my imagination. I had always loved that line, even when I didn't know what it meant. I checked out as many books as I could find in my libraries (two: "American Gods" and "Stardust," if you're wondering), and finally had to invest money to buy personal copies of his works.

I'm currently reading "Neverwhere," and everyone wants to borrow my other books. I don't want to lend them out...

Posts: 7 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
first time..Stardust. It was on an Amazon and it was on a suggested reading list, I've never looked back since. Neverwhere followed soon after. GREAT second experience that was

Posts: 3 | Registered: August 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When listening to songs on Boys for Pele and Little Earthquakes by Tori Amos. Prominently featured there.
Phenomenal talent.

Posts: 2 | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post