Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  more Other Works    When and What was YOUR discovery of the Gaiman Genius?
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When and What was YOUR discovery of the Gaiman Genius?
 Login/Join

Picture of that scott guy
posted Hide Post
issue 16 of the sandman when it first came out, i've been hooked ever since

-not back with a vengeance, more like a dull thud followed by a scared wave-

Posts: 1630 | Location: further south than you'd assume, ON, Canada | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of -3-
posted Hide Post
I first noticed Neil's work in 2000AD back in the mid-late 80s. But realizing his genius? That came with Sandman and Black Orchid. Both took the DC universe and made it fresh, gave it an edge, and made me want to see more.

And i'm still always craving more. I see the front page now announces that Stories is available here in the USA - after i've already finished reading it. That pretty much sums it up well.

===
experiMental Theatre
"Whose mind is it anyway?"

Posts: 32 | Location: Hermit Cave, Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: October 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of g0dlessc0mplex
posted Hide Post
I was first introduced to Neil Gaiman in 1991 when a friend handed me her Death comic books. I fell in love instantaneously. >.<

You are the only light there is, for yourself my friend. ~Gogol Bordello~

Posts: 4 | Location: Washington State | Registered: December 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nevereverland
posted Hide Post
welcome g0dlessc0mplex. friends who lend books and comics are great aren't they?

*Call me button eyes*

If vegetarians eat vegetables what do humanitarians eat?

Posts: 62 | Location: Everywhere all at once | Registered: December 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Samael
posted Hide Post
I haven't been on here in a lot of years. Glad to see my account is still around.

I bought Sandman #35 out of a bargain bin for a $1 because the cover intrigued me. The rest is history.

--
You are utterly the stupidest, most self-centered, appallingest excuse for an anthropomorphic personification in this or any other plane!

Posts: 28 | Location: Canada | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OtherSister
posted Hide Post
I'd seen Gaiman books in the store, but I never picked up any till my english teacher recommended him (she's an uber-fan.) I started with The Wolves in the Walls then graduated on to Coraline. I watched Mirrormask (which was epic, by the way.) Then my english teacher (the same one) gave me Fragile Things for my sixteenth birthday(last year.) I'm currently into the Eternals! I've only read one, five, six and seven, not the other three...groan. I'm working on it. Frown

Then go home.
Or make a home.
Or rest.

Posts: 7 | Registered: January 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ylvs
posted Hide Post
I first noticed Neil Gaiman on the log gone Shadowmarch messageboard in 2001 where American Gods was recommended. What a great book. There was someone who knew his myths and tales with an imagination that you rarely come across.
I read everything he wrote I could lay my hands on.
Sandman was my firts Graphic Novel and although I did not like all the artwork I adored the story.
What makes Neil gaiman's art special to me beside the above mentioned is his love for language (I might not be able to truly appreciate though, not being a native speaker).
And then there is is voice. I would listen to the phonebook read by Neil Gaiman but alas it's Neverwhere my favorite Gaiman tale ...
I can't wait to read The Graveyard Book to my daughter (she's ten, maybe next year) ...
Enough babbling, you got the idea.

"Welcome stranger. The paths are treacherous today." Tad Williams, The Dragonbone Chair

Posts: 70 | Location: Kassel, where the Brothers Grimm collected the fairy tales | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ylvs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer:
I've been a lifelong fan of Science Fiction and Fantasy, and read pretty much any book I could get my hands on. So on one of my birthdays, (my 12th or 13th, I think), an aunt of mine picked up Preludes and Nocturnes and gave that to me as one of my gifts. At the time I thought it was a cool series, but didn't follow it up for a while. (In my defense, this is mostly because I didn't know there were any more stories after Preludes and Nocturnes).

Then a few years ago I saw some of the later Sandman collections in a bookstore while browsing, and a friend of mine recomended Good Omens at about the same time. From then on, I was hooked on Gaiman for good, and have made every effort to hook anyone else I know that is a reader.

*loves reviving old posts*

I subscribe to your last sentence word by word.

"Welcome stranger. The paths are treacherous today." Tad Williams, The Dragonbone Chair

Posts: 70 | Location: Kassel, where the Brothers Grimm collected the fairy tales | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe my first exposure to Neil's works was in 1990-1991 during my final year of high school. I was familiar with Sandman, but had never read it. The cover of the P. Craig Russell issue "Ramadan" caught my eye, and it was all down (up) hill from there. Bought all of the graphic novels and everything since. Lived in Minneapolis in 1996-1997 and found Good Omens hc and Snow, Glass & Apples mini-comic at Dream Haven as well as the one about cats... I believe American Gods came out during that time as well. Turned my whole family on to his writing then, and now my mother has that GO hc... Frown expensive to acquire these days. Have also turned many friends on to AG, GO and Neverwhere, mostly.

Posts: 6 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Worker
posted Hide Post
I got started in modern science-fiction and fantasy fandom with role-playing games as opposed to comic books (although there was some overlap), so bear with me here:

I first remember seeing Neil Gaiman's name in the dedication to Werewolf: the Apocalypse's (White White Wolf Games) 1st edition mainbook, which I believe was taken from 'The Dream Of A Thousand Cats'. (I eventually wound up buying back issues of Sandman containing the whole story, but that was many years down the line from that.) It never sat well with me (it was chosen regarding 'states of mind/states of spirit/states of internal reality' that Neil's work often covers, and I regret that had nothing to do with my interest in Werewolf or in gaming at the time), but the quote stuck in my head for whatever reason it did, and while I'd never heard of Sandman and didn't know who Neil was at the time (August 1992), there was a distinct feel in its flow, however short the quote was.

By the time I got into comic collecting- I guess this would've been 1993 for Neil's first works coming into my view- I'd been leery of Vertigo titles (I frequently give myself a mental smack for passing on Garth Ennis' Preacher and Grant Morrisson's Invisibles when they were first out, as getting the books them would've been a lot less expensive!), mainly because a lot of the covers creeped me out, and none of the comic stores I frequented seemed to be that interested in handing me a book I hadn't read and saying 'Read this!' (moderately bad customer service and a 'self-esteem champ'! Woohoo!), leaving my own first impressions to govern my purchasing and reading.

I vaguely recall what I was thinking when I picked up Death: The High Cost Of Living #1 (I eventually bought the other issues, as well as 'The Time Of Your Life', although once again, it was considerably far down the road from their initial issue dates); it read like a dream, and Chris Bachalo's artwork was really good, but it was as an investment, or that's what I told myself.

Fast forward a decade and a half: THAC0: the Movie (2008 Youtube), in which Neil makes a quiet, unobtrusive cameo in the character's local comic book/gaming store. I know I'd seen pictures of Neil online and occasionally in the local paper (he's done more than a few readings here in town, amongst other things) but this was the first really distinct image I remember seeing of him.

I guess that's about it. I'm planning on eventually picking up at least a few of the Sandman trade paperbacks (I strongly suspect that the original issues are on the expensive side, if comic collecting is still along the lines I remember them being), but I guess watching THACO: the Movie, and actually being able to empathize with the characters in a gaming movie for once, inspired my doings.

Cheers!

-Worker.

Posts: 1 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post