New
Find
Notify
Tools

Writer's software
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

I hope I post this in the correct forum.

Does anybody of you know if Neil Gaiman uses writers software or what he thinks about it and if he recommends any.

I am asking this because I am writing my first novel and it is very complicated to keep track as it is a very complicated and long novel (possibly a sequence), lots of different people and places and events.

Don't ask me to write less complex. I can't.

In short, how can I keep track of all of that without contradicting my story or what the heros do or don't do?

Thanks,
Johnny

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I vaguely remember reading in his blog that he writes a first draft in an actual book, using a fountain pen.

After that, I don't know. I'm sorry I'm no help, but you may want to check out the FAQs or possibly ask Neil from that link because Neil doesn't read the boards.

It's an interesting question though and I'm not sure if it doesn't belong in the Other Writers section, because someone else might have a better answer. If it does belong there, one of our mods can move it, no worries.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25418 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Maeve,

I appreciate your reply. If anybody wants to move my posting in the other writer section, it is fine with me.

I will ask Neil directly how he keeps track of his writings. I sure hope he replies.

Would be really interesting to know what method he uses and if he always uses the same method or if he uses software.

Thanks again, Maeve.

John

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wrote a very detailed answer to this question, and then realized I could save time by just pointing you to this entry in Neil's journal.

However, if you want a detailed response, since I've typed it already:

As Maeve said, Neil tends to write his novels with a fountain pen in a fancy journal, at least for the first draft. He has a nice collection of fountain pens by now. At one point in his journal, he talked about transferring files into Word Perfect on his Libretto.

He often types his screenplays using Final Draft, as he mentions here, with a link to the Final Draft website, and on Twitter here. Actually, he mentions the software quite a lot, if you search his blog. Just for example: "And I'm currently fighting with Final Draft (I've abandoned Final Draft 7 after it ate rather a lot of work, and have gone back to Final Draft 6)..."

Posts: 116 | Registered: February 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
My Dad makes wooden pens and fountain pen kits do exist and I have this mad idea to turn a pen for Neil. But then I think.. maybe he wouldn't like it.

Anyway. That has nothing to do with the actual question. Smile Thanks for replying Daniel.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25418 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are having a problem to track your time use work time tracker, it will help your novel as you would be able to analyze your writing skill and it will help you to write other sequences also.

Posts: 12 | Registered: October 31, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post