Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  more Other Works    We can get them for you wholesale
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We can get them for you wholesale
 Login/Join

:rattle:rattle:
Picture of When_lingers
posted
So, Snaoim started reading Smoke and Mirrors on the plane this past weekend, and after reading WCGTFYW, he was confused and wanted to know what I thought. I hadn't read it in a long time and frankly, I didn't really get it either. How do other people take this story? What does the end mean for you? Especially Gaiman's insistence on the "But we had to be asked" part.

Jeremy

¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤
en boucle Claire Diterzi
"Come over here to where When lingers." Jig of Life -- Kate Bush
How's your jesus christ been hanging? Father Lucifer -- Tori Amos
Where When lingers and talks about music, books, art and life.

Posts: 1955 | Location: France | Registered: December 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
Traditionally, demons have only had power over humans when we've allowed them to have that power, as a way for the Divine to keep the demons from taking over the world. So, when it comes to mass murder, they've only had to have someone ask them to kill everyone to have the right to do so.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48711 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has no knowledge of the Munich Incident, so stop asking
Picture of Wayfarer
posted Hide Post
When I first read this story, it reminded me of a superstition that vampires can only cross your threshold if you invite them into the house. Also, the title is very reminiscent of P K Dick.

Posts: 5864 | Location: The Cast Iron Shore | Registered: September 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only sounds like Keith Flint
Picture of Rob!
posted Hide Post
While Dweller and Waspfearer make good points, the answer is even easier than those.

In Revelations, before the four horsemen come, they are called upon.

someone has to ask them to kill off the entire world.

Posts: 2193 | Location: LA... sort of. | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rob! is dead-on, I think. Especially if you consider the line midway or so through the story that describes the sign no longer looking like a "dirty donkey" but a "pale horse."

Posts: 1 | Registered: June 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is good that you can get it in wholesale, but what. I want to do https://www.topdissertations.org/ and I am collecting content for it. Knowing all about this post can actually help me with the essay I am planning to write.

Posts: 2 | Registered: October 16, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post