Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  more Other Works    *Spoilers*Neverwhere-ending
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

*Spoilers*Neverwhere-ending
 Login/Join

posted
I want to talk about the very end of Neverwhere, b/c it's really bothering me...
*Spoilers start*
Why does the marquis come through the door? I'm pretty sure everything else in the book points to the fact that only Door could have opened it, so it really bothers me that he was the one who came through. At first I thought it was a mistake, and then I thought it was implying that Richard was insane, and now it seems that I'm just wrong and no one else seems puzzled by it.
Thoughts? Explanations? Am I overthinking this? It's really kinda bothering me...
Any answers would be appreciated!
-Jenn

This message has been edited. Last edited by: phantombutterfly,

Posts: 1 | Registered: October 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
speaks Sanskrit in three different languages
Picture of MichaelJOwens
posted Hide Post
I think maybe you are over thinking it a bit. Not that there is anything wrong with analyzing text. The way I interpreted it was that after his experiences in the Underground, Richard could no longer be happy in the "real" London. His friends, Door and the Marquis, saw this and came to rescue him from the mundane world he could no longer be a part of. Door probably opened the door, but the Marquis was the one who stepped out to greet Richard. Hope this helps.

------------------------------
"I lost some time once; it's always in the last place you look for it."--Delirium

Posts: 31 | Registered: October 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
It's been far too long since I read this, but I always thought that Richard opened it?

I have to go read it again.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I finished re-reading it last night. I still think it was Richard that opened it. Maybe interaction with Door gave him the ability or maybe he just had it on his own, but he scratched the shape of a door and felt a sort of madness and then the Marquis stepped out.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post