Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    Kickstarter project I want to call attention to
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kickstarter project I want to call attention to
 Login/Join

knows there is no spoon
Picture of The Wanderer
posted
So Corey and Lori Cole, the team behind the Sierra Quest For Glory games, have a kickstarter going for a game they want to design much in the mold of their old games.

Link

Also, as an extra benefit for me since I never got to play all the old games, (and the attempt to copy them from Matrix' copy wasn't entirely successful) one of the rewards is a copy of all 5 QFG games. I think I can sum up my reaction in 1 word: yoink!

James

Wandering, but not lost.

"You are a Knight Errant. All of the fun of rescuing damsels, and none of the paperwork." - Royko

Posts: 8394 | Location: New York | Registered: July 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pirate/Zombie/Hero
Picture of Jena
posted Hide Post
Did you never get #4 to work? Cause Matrix never got #4 to work even in the original. And #4 was his favorite, so yeah, he'll probably back this for the same reason you will! Razz

Vice-Chancellor of the Heartless Bitch Council

Damn peer pressure

Posts: 5271 | Location: Sacramento, CA, US | Registered: August 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Goofy Beast
Picture of Thirith & His Enormous Tibia
posted Hide Post
Don't they have the games on gog.com? Games bought off Good Old Games have always worked pretty well on my machine.

Posts: 10887 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knows there is no spoon
Picture of The Wanderer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jena:
Did you never get #4 to work? Cause Matrix never got #4 to work even in the original. And #4 was his favorite, so yeah, he'll probably back this for the same reason you will! Razz

I had to download some patches for certain bugs, but I was able to play as Fighter, and most of the way through as Wizard, (the game wouldn't quite let me finish the last confrontation against the bad guy when playing the Wizard) I didn't try to play the thief in that game.

But yeah, several bug fixes were necessary to do that much, and there were probably more I should have had.

And Thirith, if this Kickstarter doesn't work out I may look into that (actually, I saw an ad for that site sometime during my attempt to spread the word) but I'm fine with getting the games as part of my reward for helping out the creators.

James

Wandering, but not lost.

"You are a Knight Errant. All of the fun of rescuing damsels, and none of the paperwork." - Royko

Posts: 8394 | Location: New York | Registered: July 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thirith & His Enormous Tibia:
Don't they have the games on gog.com? Games bought off Good Old Games have always worked pretty well on my machine.

*buys 5 games*

*puts another 10 on wish list, including Planescape Torment*

*no willpower*

Posts: 32867 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Goofy Beast
posted Hide Post
With the prices they've got at gog.com, you can afford to have no willpower. Especially with old-school RPGs, you can get dozens of hours of gameplay for a few dollars.

Posts: 10887 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Why does all the box art for the Stronghold games have the characters looking at you like you just farted?

Posts: 32867 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post

knows there is no spoon
Picture of The Wanderer
posted Hide Post
Well, they're down to the nitty-gritty at the kickstarter project; there's about 60 some hours to go as of this posting, but they've finally gotten within striking distance and are currently about $80,000 short.

If there's anyone who likes the potential of the project but has been sitting on the fence, time is running down.

An excerpt from the Coles talking about about one of the things they'd like to acocmplish with the game:

quote:
There are a lot of "black and white" games out there. They give the players two paths – good or evil, etc. That's an improvement over making the player sit through a linear, non-branching story.

But we can do better. Yes/No, Either/Or, Binary pathing is so last century! It's also not the way life works.

Quest for Glory broke the mold of D&D-style games by eliminating experience levels. Instead, players gradually improved each of their skills through practice. In Hero-U, we are doing the same thing for character relationships. All of your actions during the game will affect how others see you, and how they react in turn.

No two players are likely to see the exact same story in Hero-U. Each player will forge their own relationships, and choose where to spend their time. The subtle connection between these decisions will affect many aspects of game play.

This won't as simple as "You're a Thief" or "You're a Rogue Hero." The game – like real life – will be much more complex and layered. Shades of grey mean something in Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption.

Let's say for instance you've been friendly to one of the other students. Maybe that student saw you in the hallway after curfew, but she'll keep quiet about it. Or maybe she'll mention a useful book in the library. If things work out, maybe you can develop a romantic relationship.

Of course, the opposite is true too. Maybe someone else is jealous of that budding relationship, and decides to make you look bad. There are a lot of ways for a Rogue to find revenge. Maybe one of your teachers will stand up for you, or maybe everyone will hang you out to dry. Everything you do in the game will affect someone's attitude towards you, positively, negatively, or sideways. That would be the case when a plot element hinges on your actions, and a character decides you might be useful to them... or not.

James

Wandering, but not lost.

Goofy Beast
posted Hide Post
I'm supporting them, but I have to say that all of the graphics they've shown so far are putting me off. They just look so amateurish, like the work of a moderately talented teenager who needs practice, training and a good teacher.

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post

*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Furious:

Looks like more than just a fart. How did I miss this back in Nov. ?

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are few to consider for kickstarter, the use of slogan or taglines can have a big help.

Posts: 1 | Location: USA | Registered: February 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking about making a Kickstarter to assassinate people that spam garbage on message boards. Only Bitcoin accepted for, you know, stuff.