Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    US Election! Obama up on aggregate with 3 minutes to go...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US Election! Obama up on aggregate with 3 minutes to go...
 Login/Join

Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Bronco Bamma got Pennsyltucky AND Ohio!

Posts: 32867 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Oregon and Colorado went for blue, which means Obama won!

Posts: 32867 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
The other Battles:

and Michelle Bachmann is rewinning her House seat by about 1500 votes. *facepalm*

Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
Thanks Furi, that was interesting for a Wednesday morning. I shall go to work knowing more than I knew when I got up - if you could finish this tomorrow (after work Big Grin ) that would be SUPERFINE!

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20595 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knows there is no spoon
Picture of The Wanderer
posted Hide Post
Bottom line is that Republicans, especially the Tea Party, got a solid kick right in the teeth during the night.

Todd Akin (Mr. Legitimate Rape) and Murdouck (A pregnancy that results from rape is something God meant to happen) both got beaten in states that would otherwise be solidly red. Joe Walsh, who waged an incredibly vicious attack on a double amputee veteran, never had a chance. Allen West (Democrats are communists and the news media needs to be censored for the benefit of the nation) is toast. Linda McMahon stil can't buy an election to save her life. Michele Bachmann has, at the least, had the fight of her political life, and might find a way to lose yet.

Hell, in my own neck of the woods, the Tea Party candidate that rode in on the coattails of the 2010 wave is now out.

Romney's been trounced, gay marriage and pot legalization have both had numerous victories on state ballots.

Twas a good night to be an American liberal. Cool All the more so because back in march this was my feeling on how the election was going to go:

and it's always nice when things turn out a bit better than you expect. Actual result looks like it'll be this:

James

Wandering, but not lost.

"You are a Knight Errant. All of the fun of rescuing damsels, and none of the paperwork." - Royko

Posts: 8394 | Location: New York | Registered: July 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sittin' at the dock of the Bayeaux Tapestry
Picture of D M
posted Hide Post
Woo! Nice one USA! Big Grin You had us all worried for a second...

And Wanderer, are you confident FL will go Democrat? It looks down to the wire there, and it's still being counted even now...

So does this mean the Tea Party has had the rug pulled beneath it? Can the moderate (smirk) Republicans try to eject them from the party/pull the party back to the middle?

---
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" - H. L. Mencken

Posts: 35347 | Location: London | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahr!
Picture of FatPigeon
posted Hide Post
Any week in which both the Republican party and the NY Giants lose is a good week.

What?

(I'm just relieved that a Democrat gets to pick Ruth Ginsburg's replacement. A Democrat president dealing with a Republican majority in the House just means more gridlock.)

~ Gal-El

I don't have a drinking problem. What I have is a drinking solution.

Posts: 16427 | Location: Haifa, Israel | Registered: August 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knows there is no spoon
Picture of The Wanderer
posted Hide Post
quote:
And Wanderer, are you confident FL will go Democrat? It looks down to the wire there, and it's still being counted even now...

Hard to be sure of anything in politics Mark, but when I last checked during the night, (and confirmed after I got up) Obama was up by a good 40,000 votes, and the districts taking the longest to respond would probably be Miami-Dade and Broward counties, (in other words, the cities of Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and the immediate surroundings) which is where Obama probably enjoyed his strongest support in the statehaving an almost 2-1 margin in Miami-Dada and just more than 2-1 in Broward. It's close, and certain states automatically have recounts if the results are within a certain percentage, (which might be why no one bothered to call Florida yet) but I think it will stand up.

(Despite their typical on-air vapidness, CNN does have a pretty decent election tracker. If you go to CNN, click on the presidential race under their election center, and it'll bring up a map with the latest results. Click on a particular state and you can break the results down county by county, find out the results of Senate & House races, any measures on the state ballot, etc.)

quote:
So does this mean the Tea Party has had the rug pulled beneath it? Can the moderate (smirk) Republicans try to eject them from the party/pull the party back to the middle?

The answer to your first question is yes. As for the second, well, that's the big question. Under normal circumstances and the fact that 3 of the last 4 elections have not been kind to Republicans, you'd think moderation and a reversal of course would be in order, but the MO for Republicans has been to double down on the crazy.

There's a joke that says that if brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it. It could practically be the motto of certain elements of the Right, and they've had no hesitation to purge their own and rebel against leaders who weren't considered sufficiently conservative. A lot of the older school moderate Republicans or outright conservative Republicans who were willing to work with Democrats have been driven off, either by challenges from within their own party, (which has often led to Democrats gaining those Republican seats, mind you) or their own frustration at the way things are going.

I think there are 2 fairly clear messages in this election: 1) Counting on winning the South isn't going to be enough in a presidential election anymore, especially with once reliably red states like Virginia and North Carolina turning into intense battlegrounds or even wins for Democrats. 2) Grabbing any random far right conservative and slapping a Tea Party logo on them isn't going to get a win. There was some of this in 2010, when Tea Party choice O'Donnell defeated a moderate Republican in the primary, then turned out to be a nutcase and lost hugely against the Democratic challenger in what should have been a Senate seat that would lean Republican. We saw it again this election, with guys like Akin and Murdouck, and how they got beaten badly once they revealed the crazy. (And Murdouck is another example of what happened with O'Donnell, where a fringe right candidate defeated sitting Republican senator Dick Lugar in the primary, and promptly made an ass out of himself and lost the election to a Democrat.)

All of which would point to a change of course, but this is a party that has become used to ignoring any facts they don't agree with. Unemployment/jobs numbers looking good for Obama? Must mean that the career bureaucrats who crunch the number and are pretty damn certain of keeping a job regardless are trying to make Obama win. A report comes out showing that, contrary to right wing claims, there is no evidence that upper class tax cuts leads to better jobs and the "trickle down" effect? Criticize the methodology of the study (yes, supposedly the party that is against evolution and in favor of teaching Young Earth Creationism in science classes has a problem with the methodology used) and refuse to allow it to be presented to Congress. Polls don't look good for your candidate? Attack the pollster personally and create your own wildly inaccurate ones. Etc.

What will happen is as big a mystery to me as anyone. Should be interesting, although I think it's depressingly predictable that for the near future things won't change. The fires of this have been stoked too much and the opposition of anything liberal or even moderate has been implanted too deep in the mind of the Republican base for an immediate change. In the meantime, changing demographics are going to take a bite out of the Right's ass. They've alienated a lot of women, latinos, blacks and young people over the years.

quote:
Any week in which both the Republican party and the NY Giants lose is a good week.

*Gives Gal a little look and a hmph*

Although I actually don't mind this loss too much, as the Steelers are my dad's team, and one of my backups to root for when the Giants aren't doing well. Razz

James

Wandering, but not lost.

"You are a Knight Errant. All of the fun of rescuing damsels, and none of the paperwork." - Royko

Posts: 8394 | Location: New York | Registered: July 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is irreducibly complex
Picture of Weeble
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer:
Todd Akin (Mr. Legitimate Rape) and Murdouck (A pregnancy that results from rape is something God meant to happen) both got beaten in states that would otherwise be solidly red. Joe Walsh, who waged an incredibly vicious attack on a double amputee veteran, never had a chance. Allen West (Democrats are communists and the news media needs to be censored for the benefit of the nation) is toast. Linda McMahon stil can't buy an election to save her life. Michele Bachmann has, at the least, had the fight of her political life, and might find a way to lose yet.

Nice summary! That has brightened my day.

Posts: 10991 | Location: *rattling the bars of my cage* | Registered: November 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did something right
Picture of Big Flinchy!
posted Hide Post
All Hail Nate Silver.

----
My baby is cuter than your baby!

Posts: 12870 | Registered: February 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahr!
Picture of FatPigeon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Flinchy!:
All Hail Nate Silver.

He was batting 1000!

~ Gal-El

Posts: 16427 | Location: Haifa, Israel | Registered: August 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did something right
Picture of Big Flinchy!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Didn't "some women rape easy" also lose?

Yep. (I hate it when I edit someone's post rather than reply!)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dweller in Darkness,

----

Are you my mummy?
Picture of Nemo888
posted Hide Post
The problem is the "liberals" you voted in are worse than the most right wing Republicans of my youth. By dragging the spectrum so far right all you have now is right and bat shit crazy.

Posts: 851 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nemo888:
The problem is the "liberals" you voted in are worse than the most right wing Republicans of my youth. By dragging the spectrum so far right all you have now is right and bat shit crazy.

As I tell Beez, Obama is further right than Reagan and Nixon were.

AMY Y U NO VOTE YET?!?

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post

TRANSLATION: Sweet, sweet gridlock for another 2 years. Mmmm... gridlock...

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
So, um,... I'm glad this level of crazy is going on for another 4 years, but I'd like to see some sh*t done that matters?

Sittin' at the dock of the Bayeaux Tapestry
Picture of D M
posted Hide Post
Hurry up Florida! Call already!

---
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" - H. L. Mencken

Posts: 35347 | Location: London | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
So still no final results from FLA?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22785 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did something right
Picture of Big Flinchy!
posted Hide Post
Old rich white guys at work were bitching just outside my cube yesterday. Hilarious.

----

Yahr!
Picture of FatPigeon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JP:
So still no final results from FLA?

They're still trying to figure out the forms.

quote:
Originally posted by Big Flinchy!:
Old rich white guys at work were bitching just outside my cube yesterday. Hilarious.

Riching?

~ Gal-El