Find
Notify
Tools

Interior design
 Login/Join

Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted
As mentioned in a previous thread, come 2011 when I'm out of school, I'm planning on blowing the dough that would have been spent on tuition on furniture. This will be my graduation present to myself -- redecorating my living room.

However, I've never even decorated my living room -- it's just all odds and ends I've picked up along the way. I'm enjoying the thought of new furniture, but I don't really know the first place to start. Planning during the next year is what will keep me going through these final semesters.

Who knows stuff about interior design and who has tips to share?

Posts: 37699 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
There's theoretically an infinite number of alternate universes. In one of these alternate universes - a fluffier universe than the one we inhabit - I wouldn't work in my (deadly serious) field, I'd be an interior designer. I like what I've done with my flat, and specifically my living room. (The other rooms are slightly spoilt by all the crap hanging about in them.) I've got a lot of stuff - no minimalism for me, sadly - but even with a lot of stuff you can make it look good.

Do you have a vision in your head of the kind of looks you like?

Are you planning to keep all of your current stuff, or is some of your current furniture just cheap stop-gaps you are longing to ditch as soon as you can afford it? If there is furniture you are planning to keep, what is it like, and what do you like about it? Looks? Comfort? Sentimental associations?

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15843 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
Everything can go.... except for the couch. I like the silver-blue/brown color scheme. I like the looks of the couch (the wood!) but don't necessarily want the rest of the furniture to look like the couch. I'm more than fine with mixing and matching styles.

Ideas?

Posts: 37699 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time avant garde shrubbery inspector who breaths fire and lets out a mighty YAHR!
Picture of ladykatza
posted Hide Post
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Discordian Priestess, Keeper of the Golden Pine-Apple.

Has Been Assimilated.

blog or not

Posts: 8877 | Location: ain't from 'round these parts | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
Nice couch!

More questions to consider:

What's the light like in the flat? (And the view?)

Even if the furniture (sans couch) might change, what about the rest of your stuff? Do you have a lot of pictures or bits and pieces you want to keep on display? Do you, uh, have a lot of books which will need shelving?

What kind of window treatments do you like? Curtains, blinds, naked windows? I think this makes a LOT of difference to a room - I like naked windows, myself, as I'm on the 8th floor and my windows are nicely proportioned so I don 't need them hiding or prettied up, but it does mean that the whole centre of gravity of the room is lower, which I also like. If your view is horrid, or your windows ugly, or you have a fondness for a huge pair of petunia-covered velveteen drapes you already own - well, that's all going to affect what you do with the rest of the room.

Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ladykatza:
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/

That's a fab site, and I've been on their mailing list since last year's Christmas contest (I hope they're doing it again!)

Hive: Books are an issue, but all my bookshelves are in my bedroom acting as a sound barrier from my neighbor's television. In another place I will most likely move them back out into the living room, but for the foreseeable future, they're in my bedroom.

(ETA: I do have a lot of framed photos that I haven't had up for several years due to lack of space. I would like to pull them back out, someday.)

I'd like to keep as many external factors out as possible -- things like lighting, and the view, because I do rent and I don't want to tailor the furniture to fit one place, only to move and have it not fit in the next. That said, I'm on the second floor and don't see myself moving much higher, so I do need window coverings of some kind. I'm not picky about what kind -- right now I'm using the white blinds that came with the place (for the living room. Bedroom and kitchen are another story. I've got those rooms worked out to my liking and they don't need much in the way of change).

Smartest woman in the world.
Picture of Jocelyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hive:
<<edit>>
Do you, uh, have a lot of books which will need shelving?
<<edit>>
That just made me laugh like mad.

I think that one important thing to keep in mind is how often you plan to move before sticking in one place for a long while. I know you're renting now, and might like to buy in the next ten years or so, but you've also talked about moving to another state in that time.

You're committed to getting a moving truck with that couch, but the size of the rental truck and number of friends you might need to import to lift your stuff is still flexable. Consider how easy stuff is to transport when making your furniture selections.

Beyond that, I've got nothing. Someday when Tongster and I have more money than sense, I'd actually consider hiring a decorator because we have such divergent tastes in home decoration, it makes our place look a little crazy.

Posts: 8092 | Location: On the 34th Floor | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*102 gold stars*
Picture of Cavenagh
posted Hide Post
It's always a good guideline when selecting furniture and floor coverings to ask yourself 'Does this match the cat?'. Keep away from those that do.

Hermits have no peer pressure

Posts: 8095 | Registered: April 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
(I bought my 2010 day calendar for work the other day, and I took it home and realized it matched the cat's collar. True story.)

Part-time amateur cardiologist
Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
I would say paint first, and then find furniture. White walls with white carpet is way too bland and depressing.

I do like your couch though.

-Ivan.

Posts: 1984 | Location: MPLS, MN, USA | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
I can't paint, unfortunately, due to rentership.

Adoration of the Modii
Picture of Masque
posted Hide Post
can't remember where I saw it, but there is a type of wallpaper that you can put over existing wallpaper/paint, etc that doesn't damage the materiel underneath and can be peeled off in whole sheets and reused..

-- Give a man a fish, he eats for the day; Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime; Teach that man to cook, and he can feed the world....
Head chef in the Realm of Procrastination and Unproductivity, Dp.u.: "You want fries with that?"
Holder for the Golden Pineapple Pin.
------------------------------------------------
If it is on the plate, its food. If it crawls off the plate; Kill it and put it back on the plate.
------------------------------------
I love small furry creatures; especially in a good sauce.

Posts: 13941 | Location: In the Kitchen, Cooking Something. | Registered: March 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I just got a new bed (memory foam mattress) and decided that a nice change from the super high plush supposedly bestest mattress ever for back pain mattress had to GO and got a low platform bed instead.

s'lovely.

It's just a black frame, no headboard, but we can change that later if we want. I'm desperately trying to simplify my life and get rid of things I don't like and don't use.

My bedroom now feels light and free rather than close and cramped. Which admittedly has nothing to do with aitapata's dilemma, but I just wanted to share. Smile

I do wish that years ago dear ol' Dad hadn't put the awful ceiling tiles up there because it means that I have to remove them and put drywall up, just to paint. So I will have to remove everything from the bedroom, some time in future.

When we do start the kitchen I dread to think how long it will be until I can have it back.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time avant garde shrubbery inspector who breaths fire and lets out a mighty YAHR!
Picture of ladykatza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aitapata:
I can't paint, unfortunately, due to rentership.

Fabric. We did this in a couple places where we rented. You can get long curtain rods and hang them up high on the wall and then use fabric to drape or cover the entire wall. This way its even easy to change for mood/season/holidays.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Discordian Priestess, Keeper of the Golden Pine-Apple.

Has Been Assimilated.

blog or not

Posts: 8877 | Location: ain't from 'round these parts | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
lives deliberately
Picture of Alaura
posted Hide Post
My big bro owns an interior design firm and I've picked up some skillz from him via osmosis..also because I used to work for him.

First of all, it's important for you to figure out what your design aesthetic is. Are you into Shabby Chic? (your love of your couch says possibly) Modern? Country? This will give you a foundation to help you target styles of furniture/decor to purchase.

I think using painting or photograph that you love as inspiration for color is a great starting point. For example, I have a Dali print that has browns, blues, and lime greens in it. That color scheme is repeated throughout my living room.

Another thing is to pick one color and repeat it in multiple textures and patterns, so you have a monochromatic pallette.

Can't paint? As ladyK suggested, Fabric is faaabulous. Start with window treatments...fabric wall hangings are wonderful (or just taking a beautiful fabric and covering a canvas with it is nice), and I'm a huge fan of throw pillows.

Find multiple uses for furniture pieces to help with storage if you have a small living space. TLOML and I found the a coffee table at Ikea that has big drawers on either side where we can store about 200 DVDs.

Since you have a huge book collection, you might want to consider using them as a theme in your design. Find some beautiful book shelves, shelve the books in intervals of vertical and horizontal patterns, and use some cool book ends...you can even grab some weeded books from your library and turn them into folded paper book sculptures and hang them on your wall.

One of the most overlooked aspects of interior design is the flow of the space. You can totally transform a room just by rearranging the furniture. Avoid lining all your furniture against the walls (if your space allows you to..)..instead, try to make small clusters of conversation/reading spaces.

ego forceps ergo ego forceps

"Chives?"�
"Yes, m'lud?"�
"Is that Ms Ephemera hovering over the croquet lawn?"�
"Indeed m'lud. She's marshalled all the haggle-dans. Missy-twigs and vale-nymphs from Claypole Woods. Apparently she intends to tear this house down and dance on the ruins."�
"Well, Chives, you'd better start the car, what? And pack my tennis things too"�
--- Joe 3Heads

Posts: 11426 | Location: In a perpetual state of Ohio | Registered: December 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Al. Just Al.:
First of all, it's important for you to figure out what your design aesthetic is. Are you into Shabby Chic? (your love of your couch says possibly)

I would have paired that couch, not with shabby chic Cath Kidson-type stuff, but with plain walls and a single wall papered with a modern flock. I think that couch has that dual traditional/ultramodern thing going - something like this.

But yeah - first I think you need to decide what type of look suits you before you go any further.

Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
I've been reading Sensible Chic, a book from that show where they take a picture of a room from a magazine and try to recreate it for a lot cheaper. Anyways, they have a quiz in the back to figure out your style and my high scores tied in three areas: Traditional, Contemporary and Exotic or Ethnic. I hardly rated any points in Country or Chic.

ETA: What I really like about this book is they're saying you don't have to do it all at once. You find the look you like from a magazine or wherever and do it in layers. Start at the base minimum, then in the next round you add the paint and some more pieces and then the last layer where you add the more expensive things like rugs and art and stuff. The thing I like about this approach is that I can start right now, looking for inspiration images from magazines and start getting rid of the stuff I have that DOESN'T fit and move towards the bare minimum.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aitapata,

posted Hide Post
Maybe a typical home renovation is also required if you wanted to renew your interior design.

Posts: 3 | Location: USA | Registered: March 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post