Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    Workplace Bullying
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Workplace Bullying
 Login/Join

mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted
I have a jackarse boss.

Fortunately I have been able to limit the amount of interactions I have to have with him.

He is the company CEO/President. So is based in another city to my office.

However he has started to massively micromanage and harass our new office manager.

He treats her as if she was incompetent, makes impossible demands and just generally makes her life hell.

This morning I had to comfort her as she was in tears after him yelling down the phone at her, because he was too stupid to understand what she was telling him.

What do I do? Do I tell our direct manager who is also in another office? Do I just leave it? as you can't change fuckwits, just have to deal with them.

I just don't know how to address a boss that could fire me tomorrow, to indicate that their behavior isn't acceptable in the workplace?

Posts: 9896 | Location: The heart of gold | Registered: July 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scootie Pie
posted Hide Post
tiny
tape
recorders
and
cameras

And let nature take it's course. Sorry for your friend.

Posts: 258 | Location: The Land of Awesome. Population: Not You | Registered: September 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
Can you both join a union? (I have no idea if Canadian unions are any use!)

In the meantime, keep a diary of the incidents, with dates, in case it all blows up and you want to support her with evidence when it does.

Anyway, props to you for being on her side (as of course you would be). Here's hoping he gets eaten by a bear.

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15845 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
What does Canada have by way of a Labor Relations Board?

And yes, document, document document.

He may be CEO, but does the company have a Board of Directors or an owner he is answerable to?

shooting moonbeams out of her a(censored)e.
~Joe

Posts: 24418 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dane Cook's Final Horcrux
Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
NOt knowledgeable about this sort of thing, but with anything you might want to complain about real-time records (ie keeping a note of incidents at the time, rather than relying on memory later) as Hive said, is essential. That way if it ever does go further, you have a far more compelling case.

Posts: 20852 | Registered: November 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
Yeah I doubt a union would be any help,

We are a small company there is only us 2 in the office and only 2 higher level staff, both work from home.

I just checked and the company is supposed to have workplace harassment policies etc.

Previously we have all been contractors, I don't think the CEO realises the shitpile of laws he has got himself into with bringing people on as employees.

So if I do anything I can get fired with no notice etc, as I'm a contractor. I don't come under any of those laws etc.

Labour laws do exist for this it's just hard in such a small company.I think I'm just going to sit on it. If it continues I will try and get her to discuss it with the other manager. As I'm worried I would just get fired if I bring it up. You are supposed to address complaints to your supervisor according to the law, it would only go to the ministries if you were wrongfully dismissed due to it etc.

Posts: 9896 | Location: The heart of gold | Registered: July 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tori lookalike contest winner, 2001
Picture of Ophelia's Vengeance
posted Hide Post
What a timely topic as I am currently having to deal with such a situation myself.

As everyone has said, document document document.

From what you are saying, it seems to me that your office manager needs to be the one to address this issue since she is the one experiencing the direct harassment.

In dealing with upper management, the important thing is to keep emotions out of it and stick with the facts when addressing issues. Frame it in terms of how it is negatively impacting the work environment and/or work flow process. My suggestion would be if you were to approach your direct manager, to frame you conversation in that way, i.e. how his management style and ways off communicating are negatively impacting the ability of your office to do their jobs.

My suggestion to her would to be not to engage in his tantrums. If he's going to yell, treat him like a child. "I can't understand you when you are screaming. If you want to have this conversation as a professional, we can engage, otherwise I would request that you submit your concerns or communications in writing since it appears we aren't able to effectively communication orally at this time." (Yes, this is bullshit I've had to deal with...)

Maybe the other office managers have suggestions. The only other solution that I can think of is for her to have a meeting with him with a neutral third party. Does Canada have something comparable to the US's EEO?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The World's End.. as Sims!

Posts: 12489 | Location: Bowie's Pants | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time amateur cardiologist
Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
Unfortunate voice of reality here: get your resume together and move on.
I am speaking from a USAian perspective, but there is very little you can do without a ton of capital to go to court. Best method I have found is just to cut your (or convince her) loses as sad as that may be.

-Ivan.

Posts: 2051 | Location: MPLS, MN, USA | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
Oh that sucks Ophelia, I hope your situation improves

thanks for your input everyone

daysleeper's love-slave (now with documentation!)
Picture of escher
posted Hide Post
I can somewhat relate, without really adding much to the solution. My unit is experiencing a lot of bullying, but is "horizontal violence." Coworkers are bullying new hires, especially on night shift where there is currently an obvious lack of strong leadership. The experinced crew is expecting new hires to be up and running with skills comparative to them right out of the gate. And when the new hire asks a "stupid question" they become the target of ridicule. It does not promote a safe environment for the clients at all, as it will just lead to new hires not asking questions to learn and will make a major mistake eventually, or they will just be run off and we will be perpetually short staffed as we repeatedly spend money to orient the newbies then have them go somewhere else.

=====================================
Ah Billy. After the Arctic and Pacific, you're my favorite Ocean

Posts: 1351 | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by escher:
... It does not promote a safe environment for the clients at all, as it will just lead to new hires not asking questions to learn and will make a major mistake eventually, or they will just be run off and we will be perpetually short staffed as we repeatedly spend money to orient the newbies then have them go somewhere else.

The U.S. Workforce, 2013:

Posts: 32901 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post