New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deaths
 Login/Join

Village Elder
posted
OK, when someone dies, bump this up top to let us know. Since no one else posted these, I will.

This month has seen the end of Dan DeCarlo, creator of Josie & The Pussycats, Sabrina, and long time Archie artist (He was still having legal battles with them over his creations at the time of his death)
and
John Buscema, long time contribtor to Marvel Comics (most major characters of his era) and cocreator of the "How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way" book died. I just found out today. I was watching the HTDCTMW video just last night. Sad.

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thatgirlinblue
posted Hide Post
frown

Posts: 2852 | Location: Jacksonville, FL - US | Registered: August 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nieman Marcus dies at age 96...

Posts: 248 | Location: Seattle, WA USA | Registered: June 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
Man, a lot of good people lost in the last year or so. Maybe we should just make a generic memorial. Right here. Yeah, right here.

*puts up a massive slab of marble*

Any name you want to.

For me, it's Douglas Adams and Robert Wilson Douglas Honeyman, the two funniest men in the world. The first we all know, the second was my grampa.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Effete poseur
posted Hide Post
RIP, Dave Thomas...

frown

Posts: 10487 | Location: Michigan | Registered: December 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thatgirlinblue
posted Hide Post
::gets all teary eyed at the mention of Douglas Adam's death.....she goes to sit next to a bookshelf in the 'A' section and wheap once more::

Posts: 2852 | Location: Jacksonville, FL - US | Registered: August 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
for those who haven't read Neil's journal for today,
R. A. Lafferty is dead

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahr, fear the power of the elf-man!
Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15884 | Location: The Cenotaph road and Oh-Hi-Oh | Registered: October 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dudley Moore - see this thread. I always rememeber he had a great voice, for some reason.

[This message has been edited by Celiaka (edited 03-27-2002).]

Posts: 116 | Location: Edinburgh, Scotland | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahr, fear the power of the elf-man!
Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post
Billy Wilder is dead.

My wife and I rented "Some Like It Hot" just last week. Great Movie.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&u=/ap/20020328/ap_on_re_us/obit_wilder

Posts: 15884 | Location: The Cenotaph road and Oh-Hi-Oh | Registered: October 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Composer-in-training
Picture of Grand
posted Hide Post
Somebody mentioned Randy Castillo...

Posts: 5530 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Composer-in-training
Picture of Grand
posted Hide Post
Oh and let's not forget Britain's Queen Mother...

Posts: 5530 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
George Harrison, my favorite Beatle.

frown

Posts: 704 | Location: Chicago | Registered: January 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
Kevin Smith who played Ares in Xena

Posts: 20595 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doddering stodger
Picture of Robbie
posted Hide Post
Brian Took

Posts: 10241 | Location: sheffield, uk | Registered: August 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kevin smith died?!?! how?

Posts: 20 | Location: Jersey City, NJ | Registered: March 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Effete poseur
posted Hide Post
Damon Knight, science fiction author, died at the age of 79.

I couldn't find a good obituary page, but he's in the NY Times online subscriber section.

Here are a few links about his work...

http://www.sfsite.com/isfdb-bin/exact_author.cgi?Damon_Knight

http://www.hycyber.com/SF/knight_damon.html

Posts: 10487 | Location: Michigan | Registered: December 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Effete poseur
posted Hide Post
Oh, geez, there was already a thread for good old Damon, AND he was mentioned in Neil's blog?!?!? I missed both of these; sorry...

Edit: Here is a re-posting of Manxsom's link:

http://www.locusmag.com/2002/News/News04Log.html

[This message has been edited by The Happy Nihilist (edited 04-18-2002).]

Picture of cheshirecat
posted Hide Post
Well since no one's posted it here yet...

Robert Urich died the other day from cancer. It's a shame. I used to watch Spencer for Hire all the time when I was younger.

Posts: 190 | Location: Clearwater, FL USA | Registered: November 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doddering stodger
Picture of Robbie
posted Hide Post
Thor Heyerdahl est mort....

Posts: 10241 | Location: sheffield, uk | Registered: August 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post