Notify
Tools

Deaths
 Login/Join

Recovering catnip addict, (yahr)
Picture of pkitty
posted Hide Post
Argh, just read about Stan Winston.

I had the chance to visit his shop (we had to work with his artists on a Tivo commercial)-it was like every movie that you saw in your life crammed in to his space...

Oh! That's from Predator! OOh, that's the Geico duck!...Wow, that's a dinosaur from Jurassic Park! (Then coughing from all the chemical fumes that permeate the studio).

Rocky (whom I've mentioned in a previous post about working on "The Road"), worked with him last summer on Indy 4-said he looked hale and spry. He was kind of joking that it probably was instigated by all the chemicals that SPFX people use, but he may have a point.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well we all shine on, like the moon and the stars and the sun...

Illusions on celluloid

My new website!

Posts: 2546 | Location: LaLa Land, USA | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has been eaten by a grue.
Picture of Apathy
posted Hide Post
I'm not usually in here, so I feel like a hypocrite, but I need to get this out, and this is the non-hijacky place to do it.

so. a guy I knew when I was a teenager hung himself Saturday. he was the first person to treat me like a friend, and not like a-friend-who-is-the-preacher's-kid-so-be-careful. I had an enormous crush on him, and we were good friends. I have a feeling he influenced my tastes in men extremely heavily"”black irish, check; goofy, check; athletic, check; smart, check.

I hadn't seen him in years because he kinda lost his bearings. he had a really bad habit of quitting things that he thought were too hard for him (which is thankfully something I didn't subconsciously look for later on in men), and, apparently, life got too hard. I'd always hoped to see him again, that he'd get his head screwed back on. instead, I'm going to his viewing tonight.

I'm very...not depressed, although this is depressing. I'm reeling from this. I imagine it hasn't really sunk in, but I'm guessing seeing his dead body tonight will help with that. it's so incredibly sad. he was only 23 years old.

~ fLame Woosh ~
Elite Special Force Procrastinator, trained in High Arts of Extended Coffee Breaks and
Master Linguist of the Water Cooler Conversation

Posts: 7134 | Location: the gloaming | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has no member title
Picture of His Noodle Girl
posted Hide Post
Oh honey.

*hugs*

What a waste of a wonderful person, no?

__
I like it maybe 63 percent!

Posts: 15475 | Location: Bouncing round in bathrooms! | Registered: October 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Apathy
posted Hide Post
it really, really is. he could have done so many amazing things if he'd wanted to. he just never did. and now he never will.

and his poor family"”he hung himself in his grandmother's house. she raised him, so he was in his old bedroom when he did it. and his fiance, with whom he'd just broken up because he didn't want to hurt her (I don't know the full story; I just know that's why he broke it off), was the one who found him there.

~ fLame Woosh ~
Elite Special Force Procrastinator, trained in High Arts of Extended Coffee Breaks and

Posts: 7134 | Location: the gloaming | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
Ahh

*hugs*

Yeah. Reeling is the word. Pretty unreal feeling.

I'm sorry. Sorry that he was so lost, and sorry you now have to face it.

shooting moonbeams out of her a(censored)e.
~Joe

Posts: 24418 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Apathy
posted Hide Post
*hugs for Beez and Babs*
thanks.

every time something like this happens, it's like the first time all over again, y'know? you never get used to it.

but I am glad that I knew him when I did. he really meant a lot to me, and that's worth something.

~ fLame Woosh ~

Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
*hugs*

and

*prayers*

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48716 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Biscuitkeeper
Picture of Matt Cable
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry Apathy...

*hugs*

Posts: 10768 | Location: Michigan | Registered: April 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has no member title
Picture of His Noodle Girl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Apathy:
and his poor family"”he hung himself in his grandmother's house. she raised him, so he was in his old bedroom when he did it. and his fiance, with whom he'd just broken up because he didn't want to hurt her (I don't know the full story; I just know that's why he broke it off), was the one who found him there.

*sigh*
Poor family and poor fiancee. And poor you.
*hugs*

And you're right, that is something, that you got to know him the way he really was.

__
I like it maybe 63 percent!

Posts: 15475 | Location: Bouncing round in bathrooms! | Registered: October 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Apathy
posted Hide Post
*hugs all*

I'm hoping that at least some good will come out of it. his grandmother and one of his aunts haven't been on speaking terms for years. maybe this will help them get past all that pettiness and understand how important family really is, differences or no. they're good people underneath all that miscommunication.

~ fLame Woosh ~

always wears a tie - just not around his neck
Picture of Graffalke the Chrono-Illogical Alchemist
posted Hide Post
*hugs* for Apathy

Head of internal security of the Realm of Unproductivity and Procrastination,  
Catnip Master in the order of the Pineapple.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Lost in Time.........and Space | Registered: February 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
Oh, Apathy, this is hard. *hugs*

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15845 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Starving artist doctor - well, not starving, but if you happen to have an extra biscuit lying around . . .
Picture of Causa Varmilly
posted Hide Post
Oh Apathy. *hugs*

------------------------------
You are a Leprechaun. I'm not even sure what you are. Whiskey-soaked reports from your baffling Isle of Ire raise more questions than they answer. Are you a dwarf? Where's your pickax? If you're an elf, why don't you cobble? You'd think with all your gold, you could invest in some land, perhaps a title, and improve your station. Instead, you hide it in meteorologically-determined locations. You're getting killed on inflation, little friend!

Posts: 9036 | Location: Belfast, NI | Registered: April 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Munk, The Wombat Confessor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Apathy:
it really, really is. he could have done so many amazing things if he'd wanted to. he just never did. and now he never will.

*hugs*

I saw this, and just wanted to say that you might just be overlooking the wonderful things he DID do. He inspired you, and that is a wonderful wonderful thing.

----------------------------
"How do you get from here to the rest of the world?"

Posts: 3317 | Location: The Woodlands | Registered: April 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I've got nothing but hugs, but I have plenty of those.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Apathy
posted Hide Post
thanks, everybody. *hugs*

the viewing went okay. his grandmother is borderline hysterical half the time, but she actually hugged the aunt with whom she's been refusing to speak, so keeping my fingers crossed there.

and I had to talk it all out last night with the husband, because he wasn't responding particularly well to my grieving over this guy-who-apparently-meant-a-lot-to-me-but-whom-he-never-met. poor husband. so I'm exhausted, but good.

thank you again and again and again for being so supportive yesterday. *loves the boardies*

~ fLame Woosh ~

here
Picture of PENELOPEIA
posted Hide Post
Cyd Charisse is dead...too bad...

Péné

-------------
P.E.N.E. Pure Evil Girl With True Love Inside
-------------
The Diary of the Péné's Family :
http://antrepene.canalblog.com
http://homeofpene.canalblog.com
-------------

Posts: 2940 | Location: at the Madolière House (look Mad olière... lol) | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
*hugs* to apathy

::vibes:: to the guys family.

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20599 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
badger, yahr, badger, escher
Picture of daysleeper [if I'm lucky]
posted Hide Post
George Carlin

Posts: 8216 | Location: georgia | Registered: November 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dane Cook's Final Horcrux
Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
quote:

Carlin's jokes constantly breached the accepted boundaries of comedy and language, particularly with his routine on the "Seven Words" "” all of which are taboo on broadcast TV and radio to this day.

He sounds ace! I demand to know what these words are! I can't think of any I've not heard on the telly... some I haven't heard on the radio, but that's different...

Posts: 20852 | Registered: November 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post