Login/Join

is irreducibly complex
Picture of Weeble
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D M:
The Board is soon dead.

Rest in peace, Board.

Thank you for all the friends you gave me and all the times you kept me sane. Love you. Goodbye.

~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~
Weeble: Vibrant and bouncy, like something one would find valiantly trying to escape from a Disney geneticist's specimen freezer. - Pelham Bleatwell, Esq.

Posts: 10997 | Location: *rattling the bars of my cage* | Registered: November 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
We will stay with you 'til the end.

Mind how you go. <3

shooting moonbeams out of her a(censored)e.
~Joe

Posts: 24418 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sittin' at the dock of the Bayeaux Tapestry
Picture of D M
posted Hide Post
Love is watching someone die...

---
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" - H. L. Mencken

Posts: 35359 | Location: London | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*102 gold stars*
Picture of Cavenagh
posted Hide Post
It can be it's own memorial.

Hermits have no peer pressure

Posts: 8099 | Registered: April 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
I'm going to miss the board so much.
And with all the shit going on in the world it feels like the wrong time for it to go. If only we could fill it with magic against bots.
But I guess it's time to say goodbye. All things leave at some point in life. We have to get used to it, and move on.
So, fairwell board. I'm sure one day I'll be able to look back and read through it with warmth but right now it's tough.
I even forgot to add my mum (and my sister before that) to this thread. So RIP mum, dad, Julia and board. I know you didn't know each other, but have fun in the afterlife together!
I'll be raising my glass to you all, over in the last orders thread...

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2723 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did something right
Picture of Big Flinchy!
posted Hide Post
Daisy, Daisy
Give me your answer, doooooo...

----
My baby is cuter than your baby!

Posts: 12872 | Registered: February 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dan Guy
posted Hide Post
There may be a reprieve...

More as it develops.

Posts: 52 | Location: D.C.-ish, USA | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
Drinks all around!

shooting moonbeams out of her a(censored)e.
~Joe

Posts: 24418 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smartest woman in the world.
Picture of Jocelyn
posted Hide Post
Toss a coin to your Moderator, oh Forum of Plenty, oh Forum of Plenty, OhhhWooooohhhh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Parenthetical enthusiast.

Posts: 8106 | Location: On the 34th Floor | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Companion to owls
Picture of cloverheart
posted Hide Post
Dear Board,

I posted many Letters You're Never Going to Send here, on a time when I had trouble expressing my feelngs, so I would like to say goodbye with a letter that I will want to send. It seems appropriate.

I tended to think of you of "a place" where Stuff happened, important stuff, but you're not really a place, are you? What the fuck ARE you? What are you, that you called to us and allowed us to exist here and interact and change? If I think too much I end up realising the trite old thing "it's not about you, it's never been about you, the board has been us all along" and that's just too cliche, even if it's also true, so let's just not think about that much.

Here I was able to exist in a way that was impossible for me in the Meat World, although I didn't know it then. Free, anonymous, silly, fun, serious, unabashedly ignorant, curious, rude, in pain, resentful, angry, soft, arrogant... All surrounded by a community of people who were united maybe by the mere desire to be united, who felt accepting and indulging of all these personalities that were being tried on. When I think of the Board and my time in it, I think mostly of the conversations and moments with you guys that had an effect on me and changed something in my perspective, that made me realise something about myself or taught me a new perspective from smeone else's point of view. I think of some crucial moments in which I found a support and understanding that I clung to in the bad times. I think of some very painful stuff that I carry with me to this day. I think of a place that was an outlet for so many things and feelings I couldn't express. I think of very silly moments, not many, because I was never brave enough to really dive in, but those I have are precious. I think of many hours spent lurking in silence, watching everyone do their thing, content to do so.

I have no conclusion or big final words. My feelings are too complicated to express and that's okay.

Thank you, Boardies. You can be so proud of what you built. I feel lucky and grateful for you. And maybe also a little bit proud for the small role I might have played here too.

*leands candle into this Letter; the paper lights up*

*tosses bruning paper into pile of wood and giant flames leap up into a roaring bonfire*

So it's not May yet but fuck it.

*dances naked arond the fire*

Posts: 11803 | Location: home? | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan Guy:
There may be a reprieve...

More as it develops.

I would love this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22795 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cloverheart:
Dear Board,

Thank you, Boardies. You can be so proud of what you built. I feel lucky and grateful for you. And maybe also a little bit proud for the small role I might have played here too.

*leands candle into this Letter; the paper lights up*

*tosses bruning paper into pile of wood and giant flames leap up into a roaring bonfire*

So it's not May yet but fuck it.

*dances naked arond the fire*

I love this, Clover. And I'm glad to get another dance around the bonfire *twirls with the beautiful girl*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22795 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
This really is a beautiful place to immerse yourself. Like a warm bath!

Oh hang on, I'm in the death thread... oops

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2723 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
little. yellow. different
Picture of Psi
posted Hide Post
I'm not ready.

However even if the Board goes, the Boardies remain. I love the Board, but that's because I love all of you, and we will always be there.

Oh you young people. It's all tea and muffins and excitement in your world I expect.

Posts: 3195 | Location: Wolverton, Buckinghamshire, UK | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
quote:
However even if the Board goes, the Boardies remain.

This, exactly.

Quite a while ago I got fed up at saying at people's funerals nice things that I had not said often enough to their face. The joy of this wake is that I can still say it to your faces even if/when the Board is gone.

I bloody love you lot. You've brought me such a lot of joy.

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15845 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoggoth's Most Peculiar
Picture of denver
posted Hide Post
I wandered over here today on a bit of a whim, for the first time in many years, half expecting to find the same crowd being silly in new and exciting ways about the lockdown, and Trump, and Brexit and all the other things I've not read you folks discussing int he between years. Instead, it's a strange ghost town of memories. Almost gone, but not quite yet.

Because the posts have dates but not years it's hard to know if this happened a few months ago, or years ago. It feels surreal to wander around here, remembering the old times.

I've many happy memories of discussions here, and of people here I then met in real life. It was a special place, one of the few I've found on the internet where the anonymity made people kinder, not meaner. I have missed it a lot, and not quite realised it until now when it's too late...

As others have said, the newer options seem lacking, nothing will be this place that isn't even really a place. But thank you all for making it what it was, because all this place was in the end, was all of you.

Posts: 3721 | Location: London, UK | Registered: October 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Effete poseur
posted Hide Post
Hey, it's July 2020 and the Board is still here.

I discovered this place at the time when I needed it most. I had just moved to a new city where I didn't know anyone (besides my partner at the time), and found myself ghosting around The World's End to relieve the monotony of my generic office job.

I had been lurking for a few months when 9/11 happened, and that made me think, "Gee, life's pretty short and these people seem pretty cool, I should probably jump in and make some friends." And pretty soon, I did. And I'm still friends with quite a few of those people today.

It's really nice to be able stay in touch with folks via Facebook, and occasionally run into a Boardie in person, but nothing could ever quite capture the magic of those Good Old Days. It was a special time that simply couldn't exist in our modern world. So many days, so many late nights, here among friends. Even oceans between us couldn't keep us apart.

From the chatter here, it sounds like y'all are expecting the Board to get nuked in the near future. I hope it doesn't, but I didn't want it to happen without saying something. Like thanks. Like I love you, I love this place, and I want you to know that y'all changed my life for the better.

edit: Man, I wish I still had a copy of that green dress pic. Razz

Posts: 10489 | Location: Michigan | Registered: December 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post