Page 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... 221
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deaths
 Login/Join

Her bite actually is worse than her bark.
Picture of Ravenina
posted Hide Post
The sad thing is an author's death almost always sparks an interest in their work. This afternoon I will have to re-order some of his stuff.

I just started to get into him, too. I read Fagin the Jew last year.

Posts: 2538 | Location: Madrid, Spain | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Her bite actually is worse than her bark.
Picture of Ravenina
posted Hide Post
Illustrator and artist Kelly Freas died Sunday. Can't find any immediate info on Eisner, though.

Posts: 2538 | Location: Madrid, Spain | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is no custom member title here.
Picture of The Lord of Nothings
posted Hide Post
i feel like i live in a parallell universe. this is so important to those i talk to, but it dosen't show up on my news ticker (which presumably tells everything of world importance) and its not on the BBC.
ah well
*sigh*

Posts: 16135 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: June 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ravenina:
Can't find any immediate info on Eisner, though.

http://www.willeisner.com/

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Screwtape
posted Hide Post
Hi guys-
This has been posted elsewhere. Neil's is better, but this is mine and I need to say it:

Will Eisner was one of the greatest minds to put ink brush to Strathmore. His words and his pictures were knit so close that they became one another, and his Spirit strips are still the standard for the sequential short story. Mr Eisner kept his heritage close in his work, and knew the secret things about being human that most people can't even admit to themselves, let alone draw, painstakingly and eloquently. He left an impression that I can only hope is indelible; cartoonists could do worse than to emulate him and they could scarcely do better. The Contracts With God, the Invisible People, and the Lives on Another Planet - the world is poorer without them. For some of us, a fedora'd detective will always be chasing a misunderstood criminal down a shadowy back alley, tearing past bricks and fluttering papers and puddles that augur his name, and a modest signature scumbled onto the pavement or the boards on the dock - Will Eisner.

A toast, then to Mr. Eisner, whose every penstroke was a minor miracle. Rest in Peace.

Posts: 48 | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Trendy Nihilist
Picture of mtxx
posted Hide Post
*sniff* Frown I grew up on Spirit stories - I haven't read any in a loooong time, maybe it's time to read them again.

Almost ten years ago Will Einser did a big painting on a house in Copenhagen - it's based on his legendary "Flying Gerhard Shnobble" Spirit story.

Unfortunately there's no good online pic of the painting:

But here's a page with info about the Flying Gerhard story: http://www.angelfire.com/art/wildwood/shnobble.html

- Michael

My boring blog: http://www.xanga.com/mtxx

"This is the spring without end / This is the summer of malcontent / This is the winter of your mind"

Posts: 13534 | Location: Denmark | Registered: June 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
badger, yahr, badger, escher
Picture of daysleeper [if I'm lucky]
posted Hide Post
surgeon commits suicide

quote:
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- Dr. Jonathan Drummond-Webb had a gift for fixing heart defects in the tiniest patients, and it made him one of the best in the business. But that apparently wasn't good enough for him.

Drummond-Webb killed himself Dec. 26 with an overdose of painkillers and bourbon, three days after what seemed like another medical miracle: the successful use of a miniature heart pump that kept a 14-year-old boy alive until an organ became available for transplant.

The 45-year-old surgeon left a profanity-laced suicide note in which he indicated he felt his work was underappreciated and ranted about colleagues at Arkansas Children's Hospital and at the Cleveland Clinic, where he formerly worked.

"Every day my living hell!!" the scribbled note read. "These people don't care. I have a gift to save babies. The world is not ready for me."

Drummond-Webb's extraordinary success rate for repairing complicated defects in hearts the size of an adult's thumb--and his flair with patients and their families--had made him a surgical star. He came across as a hero in a four-part prime-time ABC documentary in 2002.

But colleagues said Drummond-Webb was his own toughest critic.

"Some would say they saved 98 out of 100," said Arkansas Children's Hospital chief executive, Dr. Jonathan Bates. "He looked at it and said, `I lost two out of 100.'"

In 18 months, Drummond-Webb, the hospital's chief of pediatric and congenital cardiac surgery, performed 830 operations with a 2 percent mortality rate. He also collaborated with Dr. Michael DeBakey, 96, considered the father of modern cardiovascular surgery.

"I just can't understand how this happened," DeBakey said, noting that Drummond-Webb seemed eager to work on more cases with the newly approved miniature heart pump.

"I think he had this motivation to pursue excellence, and you see that in some of the leaders in the field," DeBakey said. "People like that are almost always constantly frustrated."

Anesthesiologist Mike Schmitz said that even in Drummond-Webb's achievements, the surgeon "saw his own subtle imperfections."

"I knew well that much of his angst was internal, a small voice in the back of his mind that said, `That's not good enough: I could have done better,'" Schmitz wrote in a tribute to Drummond-Webb in the hospital's in-house magazine. "That which helped make him such a gifted surgeon was also an incredible burden; a burden that at least for a few hours one night became unbearable."

Parents tell stories of Drummond-Webb personally packing feverish babies with ice or returning a boy's tooth lost during surgery with two quarters from the tooth fairy. Those who loved him have left 34 pages of tributes on a Web site for his wife.

Shari Wells met the South African doctor in 2001 when her infant son, Jacob, needed surgery for a heart defect. Jacob, who was born without a pulmonary valve, had seven operations performed by Drummond-Webb at Arkansas Children's Hospital.

Wells, a nurse, said Drummond-Webb did not seem to have the protective wall that other doctors put between themselves and their patients.

"He really bonded with the parents," she said. "That disconnection that some surgeons have protects them emotionally; when they have the connection he did, it hurt worse."

i never heard of the guy before, but i found this so terribly sad, thinking of all the babies who will need him in the future and how he won't be there to help them. Frown

Posts: 8216 | Location: georgia | Registered: November 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
badger, yahr, badger, escher
Picture of daysleeper [if I'm lucky]
posted Hide Post
johnny carson?

escher says it's being announced on CNN Headline News but i don't see a web story to link to yet.

found another death, though, in the meantime:

Lamont Bentley, who was a regular in the 1990s sitcom "Moesha" and appeared frequently in television and movies, was killed in a car crash, his manager said Wednesday.

Posts: 8216 | Location: georgia | Registered: November 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
you're right.

here

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20599 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smartest woman in the world.
Picture of Jocelyn
posted Hide Post
I just came to post that.

Aww, Johnny, we already missed you.

Posts: 8106 | Location: On the 34th Floor | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
I feel very much like Bette Midler right now, sitting on a stool, singing a song for Johnny and crying my eyes out.

quote:
Quarter to three. There's no one in the place
except you and me.
So set 'em up, Joe. Got a little story
I think you should know.

We're drinkin', my friend, to the end
of a sweet episode.
Make it one for my baby
and one more for the road.

Got the routine. So drop another nickel
in the machine.
Oh, gee, I'm feelin' so bad. Wish you'd make the music
so dreamy and sad.

You could tell me a lot. But it's not
in a gentleman's code.
Let's make it one for my baby

You may not know it,
but buddy you're a kind of poet.
And you've had a lot of things to say.
And when I'm gloomy
you always listen to me,
until it's talked away.

Well, that's how it goes.
And John I know you're getting
anxious to close.
So, thanks for the cheer.
I hope you didn't mind me
bending your ear.

For all of the years,
for the laughs, for the tears,
for the class that you showed,
make it one for my baby
That long long road.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aitapata,

Posts: 37700 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
Philip Johnson, visionary architect.

Posts: 37700 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the Wicked Little Critta
Picture of Mr. Chadtastic
posted Hide Post
Ossie Davis

I am sad about this Frown

-----------------------------
Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery. Additional handling charges may be required.

Posts: 6929 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: November 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chad the Lad:
Ossie Davis

Unfortunately, not familiar with most of his movies except for one of his last: Bubba Ho-Tep

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the Wicked Little Critta
posted Hide Post
I've been wanting to see Bubba-Ho Tep. I mostly remember Ossie from a charming movie with Walter Mattheau called "I'm Not Rappaport". Another movie that comes to mind is one with Ken Howard, but I can't remember the name.

Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery. Additional handling charges may be required.

Posts: 6929 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: November 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the Wicked Little Critta
posted Hide Post
Max Schmeling

I never post to this board, but two people I really respected and admired, died today Frown

Composer-in-training
Picture of Grand
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chad the Lad:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=493&ncid=762&e=1&u=/ap/20050204/ap_en_mo/obit_ossie_davis

LBJ finally got 'im. Frown

Posts: 5530 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
I thought to post this at the time, but stuff happens and the moment passes.

On 18 March 2001 I bought Stardust and Neverwhere. Elated, I came home and found my maternal grandfather dead on the living room floor. What a day.

On Tuesday 8 Feb 05 my maternal grandmother died. On the same day I saw my mom for the first time since I was 5 years old. Ah, one of those days.

What a week. We've been doing the wake thing, I've been surreptitiously scribbling incoherent notes all the while. It's 5:30am and in an hour I'll go back.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Manila | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
hugs

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20599 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Munk, The Wombat Confessor
posted Hide Post
Arthur Miller

----------------------------
"How do you get from here to the rest of the world?"

Posts: 3317 | Location: The Woodlands | Registered: April 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post