Find
Notify
Tools

Deaths
 Login/Join

lives deliberately
Picture of Alaura
posted Hide Post
From what I recall, Domi, the methods to capture bin Laden back in 2002 were vastly different than those to take him down this time---there were air strikes on the complex where he was believed to be hiding, as opposed to a special ops ground mission. And the special ops unit in the CIA was shut down under W's watch. The Bush administration's doctrine had always been to wield a sledgehammer instead of a scalpel. Which is what saddens me most about the past 10 years.

ego forceps ergo ego forceps

"Chives?"�
"Yes, m'lud?"�
"Is that Ms Ephemera hovering over the croquet lawn?"�
"Indeed m'lud. She's marshalled all the haggle-dans. Missy-twigs and vale-nymphs from Claypole Woods. Apparently she intends to tear this house down and dance on the ruins."�
"Well, Chives, you'd better start the car, what? And pack my tennis things too"�
--- Joe 3Heads

Posts: 11426 | Location: In a perpetual state of Ohio | Registered: December 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dane Cook's Final Horcrux
Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
*nod* I was thinking more broadly than just the methods of capture themselves, although what you say is true, and just as regrettable. I mean that people are talking as if we wouldn't have gone into Iraq had he already been dead, but I doubt that that alone could have had much of an effect.

An interesting note was raised by Skeptical Humanities about the burial at sea. It means that there's no grave to become a shrine - had they brought the body back to the US, or any other country, THEN wanted to dispose of in a way so as to create no lasting resting place, it would have been extremely difficult.

Posts: 20852 | Registered: November 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time avant garde shrubbery inspector who breaths fire and lets out a mighty YAHR!
Picture of ladykatza
posted Hide Post
OH. My husband just pointed out why they buried him [bin Laden} at sea. Without a body to bury they can't have a shrine. Without a shrine, he can't be a prophet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Discordian Priestess, Keeper of the Golden Pine-Apple.

Has Been Assimilated.

blog or not

Posts: 8877 | Location: ain't from 'round these parts | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
lives deliberately
Picture of Alaura
posted Hide Post
Well I doubt the "nuclear weapons will get into the hands of bin Laden" excuse to invade Iraq would have flown if bin Laden been taken out of the picture, and I truly think that had bin Laden been killed/captured (but let's be honest: he would have been swiftly executed after capture), al Quaeda would have weakened and crumbled as a network lot sooner, again, lessening the conviction that we needed to go into Iraq, or at least stay in Iraq since they were gaining so many recruits as a result of the occupation. The insurgency wouldn't have had a symbol to latch onto to bolster them against the American occupation.

I'm curious what Hooligan would have to say about this.

"Chives?"�
"Yes, m'lud?"�
"Indeed m'lud. She's marshalled all the haggle-dans. Missy-twigs and vale-nymphs from Claypole Woods. Apparently she intends to tear this house down and dance on the ruins."�
"Well, Chives, you'd better start the car, what? And pack my tennis things too"�
--- Joe 3Heads

Posts: 11426 | Location: In a perpetual state of Ohio | Registered: December 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
Well, whether by stupidity or by design, pretty much every intelligence official I've I've ever spoken to/heard from/read thought it was disgraceful how little attention was being spent trying to track down Bin Laden. Of course, the right-wing blogs are already crowing about how none of this would've happened if it weren't for Bush . . .

This whole thing has lead me to a question about what constitutes an assassination and what is just an act of war. Perhaps another thread, if there's interest?

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48716 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
here
Picture of The Boy™ PhD
posted Hide Post
Of course the other option would be to allow a shrine and let the wahhabists tear each other apart arguing whether shrines are idolatry and call one another apostates for enshrining/not-enshrining bin Laden.

Probably lead to even more unintended consequences than dumping at sea.

Posts: 2813 | Location: Penn State University | Registered: May 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
"He has given us a sign!"
"He has given us a shoe!"

- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 48716 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Are you my mummy?
Picture of Nemo888
posted Hide Post

Posts: 852 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dane Cook's Final Horcrux
Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
Big Grin that is my favourite of all the memes so far!

Posts: 20852 | Registered: November 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
That's pretty fantastic. It wouldn't work if he wasn't doing the pointing thing.

- G.K. Chesterton

Are you my mummy?
Picture of Nemo888
posted Hide Post
If you like CSI this is better.

Posts: 852 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
particle metaphysicist
Picture of Melancolí­a: Hunter Writer
posted Hide Post
Once caught, OBL was never going to get something but death penalty. So he was going to end up dead, anyway.

But justice, even if only from a legal viewpoint, can only come from a trial.

Throwing his body to the sea reminds me what they did here to political executed prisoners during Pinochet regime, keeping their families to give them proper burial. If only 'cause of that, I can't approve that way of disposal.

It's sadly amazing to see people celebrating it, but what else could they do? They actively wished for his death, and they got their wish granted.

I'd be amazed if Obama isn't re-elected, now (though the fact that some people give credit to Bush Jr. for this makes me question it).

Personally, I think at this point his death is unimportant. Let's pray nobody tries to avenge him.

God is everywhere, except within us, so we can look for Him, and find Him.

- Reverend Esau Senn
, Butterfly Wings (my ongoing novel)

Posts: 6590 | Location: The southern end of the world | Registered: September 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Adoration of the Modii
Picture of Masque
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Melancolí­a: Hunter Writer:
Once caught, OBL was never going to get something but death penalty. So he was going to end up dead, anyway.

But justice, even if only from a legal viewpoint, can only come from a trial.

Throwing his body to the sea reminds me what they did here to political executed prisoners during Pinochet regime, keeping their families to give them proper burial. If only 'cause of that, I can't approve that way of disposal.

It's sadly amazing to see people celebrating it, but what else could they do? They actively wished for his death, and they got their wish granted.

I'd be amazed if Obama isn't re-elected, now (though the fact that some people give credit to Bush Jr. for this makes me question it).

Personally, I think at this point his death is unimportant. Let's pray nobody tries to avenge him.

Someone will possibly try.. it the nature of such things.. if they attack soon, in anger, they will fall.. anger causes one to make mistakes, become careless.. if they let it simmer and plan, it will be very bad for us...

not everyone is celebrating.. it is actually a "blah" issue for me.. I'm pnly concerned of the consequenses..

As for Obama being re-elected, I would be very surprised if he was.. I pretty much saw that he was going to be a single-termer as soon as he was elected....

-- Give a man a fish, he eats for the day; Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime; Teach that man to cook, and he can feed the world....
Head chef in the Realm of Procrastination and Unproductivity, Dp.u.: "You want fries with that?"
Holder for the Golden Pineapple Pin.
------------------------------------------------
If it is on the plate, its food. If it crawls off the plate; Kill it and put it back on the plate.
------------------------------------
I love small furry creatures; especially in a good sauce.

Posts: 13941 | Location: In the Kitchen, Cooking Something. | Registered: March 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
lives deliberately
Picture of Alaura
posted Hide Post
I doubt the death of bin Laden will play much into anyone's political campaign. The US is way too embroiled in domestic issues right now and the rhetoric is so rigidly partisan that the Right has somehow turned this into a victory for the Bush administration and refuses to give any credit to Obama's leadership.
The 2012 election will be about the economy, health care, the national deficit and energy costs...the only way I see bin Laden's death having any impact on the campaign will be the fact that the price of oil immediately dropped upon the news of bin Laden's death...I have a feeling that it's temporary, though.

"Chives?"�
"Yes, m'lud?"�
--- Joe 3Heads

Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
[hears Taps playing in her head]

Claude 'Chuckles' Choules

Rest In Peace sir.

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20599 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
as mandated by the Import/Export of Agricultural Products Act of 1974
Picture of danyellia
posted Hide Post

Posts: 772 | Location: mpls, mn | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sittin' at the dock of the Bayeaux Tapestry
Picture of D M
posted Hide Post
Maria Elizabeth of Bavaria.

Consort to Emperor Pedro III of Brazil, and nominal Dowager Empress of Brazil, died on May 13th at the age of 96.

---
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" - H. L. Mencken

Posts: 35359 | Location: London | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guess what's behind door number pi!
Picture of Mystery Guest
posted Hide Post
Macho Man Randy Savage died of injuries sustained in a car accident. The accident was caused when he lost control of the car due to a heart attack. Frown
M-bone. Rapper got shot. meh.

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

Posts: 5631 | Location: no fixed address | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
lives deliberately
Picture of Alaura
posted Hide Post
Dr. Jack Kevorkian.

He died peacefully, which, I suppose, is what he was fighting to let all of us do.

"Chives?"�
"Yes, m'lud?"�
--- Joe 3Heads

Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
Roy Skelton, voice actor for Zippy, Bungle and.... the Daleks.

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15845 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post