Page 1 ... 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 ... 221
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deaths
 Login/Join

is like fusion cuisine, if Canada can be seen as having a cuisine.
Picture of G~R
posted Hide Post
This man was my church youth leader when I was in high school. My brother and I loved him and his wife.
He's been on a downward spiral for the past few years. His wife left him and moved back to BC with their kids - it's come out that he was abusive and took lots of drugs and that was already strange - and now he's dead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
boldly going somewhere
Originally Registered: June 14, 2007

Posts: 2556 | Location: Not Honolulu, Hawai'i | Registered: October 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
here
Picture of The Boy™ PhD
posted Hide Post
Comics pioneer Jean "Moebius" Giraud.

Edited to add: I got the news from writer Mark Evanier's Twitter, but Neil has since put up a blog post remembering him
Neil's Blog

This message has been edited. Last edited by: The Boy™ PhD,

Posts: 2813 | Location: Penn State University | Registered: May 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
Was just coming here to post this news. Very sad to lose such a singular and fantastic artist.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48716 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the Penitent
Picture of Artguy C.
posted Hide Post
(CBS/AP) Host and TV producer Dick Clark has died. He was 82.

He seemed MUCH younger than his actual age for many years. He was the best at what he did for many years as well.
Rest In Peace Dick Clark.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Greater or Lesser Minneapolis, MN USA | Registered: March 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time avant garde shrubbery inspector who breaths fire and lets out a mighty YAHR!
Picture of ladykatza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Artguy C.:
(CBS/AP) Host and TV producer Dick Clark has died. He was 82.

He seemed MUCH younger than his actual age for many years. He was the best at what he did for many years as well.
Rest In Peace Dick Clark.

being ever irreverent, my roommate said "I won't believe he's dead until the cut off his head and stake him"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Discordian Priestess, Keeper of the Golden Pine-Apple.

Has Been Assimilated.

blog or not

Posts: 8877 | Location: ain't from 'round these parts | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Traditional Dutch chocolatier
Picture of Lester Zombie
posted Hide Post
Levon Helm died today. Crap.

---------------------------------
Things never were what they used to be.

Posts: 2361 | Registered: June 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smartest woman in the world.
Picture of Jocelyn
posted Hide Post
Watching "The Last Waltz" right now, Lester.

You know what I never noticed before? Everyone in this concert documentary is HIGH AS BALLZ. When I was young, I thought they were just drunk.

(My god, Neil Diamond just... oozes, doesn't he?)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Parenthetical enthusiast.

Posts: 8106 | Location: On the 34th Floor | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oestre sparagmos!
Picture of fionchadd
posted Hide Post
Stephen Taylor. He was my boss' boss when I worked at the OPG from 2008-2009. Amazingly intelligent, fantastically charismatic, an incredible asset to the company and a personal mentor. Died in his sleep last weekend from a heart attack, aged 52. Rest in peace, Stephen. You did more for me than you'll ever know.

EP now available for FREE download! Click Here

"Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten"

a peek inside the whirlwind of my thoughts

Posts: 10543 | Location: deepest darkest somerset | Registered: December 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
Chuck Colson.

It's worth noting that his prison ministry, while in some ways laudable, was not without controversy. There were many reports of he and his missionaries offering better prison conditions and requests for shorter sentences in exchange for professions of faith.

- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 48716 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is imperfectly illuminated
Picture of Murphy
posted Hide Post
On that topic, I'd recommend the Reasonable Doubts podcast episode 71: Reason behind Bars episode that dealt with this specfically.

---------------
*is currently impressed*

Posts: 8147 | Location: London, England | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lester Zombie
posted Hide Post
I've seen several things over time that indicate that all he did was shift his sleaze serve the Southern Baptist organization rather than the Republican party. I remember a quote attributed to him that said that other denominations weren't really Christians. I can't find any regret in myself that he died.
(Just so you know-I'm not a Christian, so I don't have a preferred version.)

Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lester Zombie:
(Just so you know-I'm not a Christian, so I don't have a preferred version.)

(I am a Christian, and I don't either)

- G.K. Chesterton

Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lester Zombie:
I remember a quote attributed to him that said that other denominations weren't really Christians.

I know people who say this about their churches. (Possibly pertinently, they are from US-style evangelical churches, with imported American pastors. I have difficulty imagining a CofE vicar saying this, as it's a very un-Anglican sentiment.)

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15845 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lester Zombie
posted Hide Post
And now Chris Ethridge is dead. Crap again!

The Doughmaster
Picture of TheatreGeek
posted Hide Post
Adam Yauch, aka 'MCA' of the Beastie Boys

Well, fuck.

~ Non-Mod-Amy, aka Amy of the Lost Ark

You are a Bookholder. To prompt, or...LINE! (not to prompt) --not to prompt. That is the question. Whether t'is nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of a bad memory, or to take arms against a sea of textual deviations, and...LINE! (by opposing) --by opposing them...LINE! (end) --end...LINE! (them) --end them...LINE! (to prompt, to correct; no more; and by a correction to say we end the heart-ache of a really terrible performance) You didn't have to give me the whole thing! I know it!

Posts: 11747 | Location: Michigan | Registered: August 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheatreGeek:

Well, fuck.

He can't, he won't and he don't . . . oh, wait.

(This really bums me out - they are just awesome)

- G.K. Chesterton

Queen of New York
Picture of Dread Captain Psyko
posted Hide Post
I am legit shaken up by this in a way that I haven't been by the death of a musician in a good decade.

Fuck.

Posts: 9561 | Location: Noo Yawk. | Registered: December 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
well, damn.

----------------------------
Adept of the Burning Chrome

Posts: 16373 | Registered: December 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time avant garde shrubbery inspector who breaths fire and lets out a mighty YAHR!
Picture of ladykatza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dweller in Darkness:
quote:
Originally posted by TheatreGeek:

Well, fuck.

He can't, he won't and he don't . . . oh, wait.

(This really bums me out - they are just awesome)

Dude. Fuck cancer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Discordian Priestess, Keeper of the Golden Pine-Apple.

Has Been Assimilated.

blog or not

Posts: 8877 | Location: ain't from 'round these parts | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of that scott guy
posted Hide Post
on friday at work i played the Beastie Boys for 8 hours straight

-not back with a vengeance, more like a dull thud followed by a scared wave-

Posts: 1630 | Location: further south than you'd assume, ON, Canada | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post