Find
Notify
Tools

Deaths
 Login/Join

There is no custom member title here.
Picture of The Lord of Nothings
posted Hide Post
we need the Doctor Of Journalism now more then ever to stop the scumsucking pieces of shit running his goddamn country
god fucking dammit
i can't wait to read PJ O'Rourke's obit

the man fucking invented New Journalism, crazy and wild.. he's just... THE MAN
fuck

Posts: 16135 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: June 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
oh yea... and i gotta do this

*steps up to the line, raises a shot of whisky, drinks it, and hurls it into the fire*

RIP, Hunter S Thompson. Show those bastards in the next life what a real journalist can do

Posts: 16135 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: June 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Effete poseur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chad the Lad:
quote:
Originally posted by THNihilist:
Well, he wrote Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Ever see the movie?

No, I guess I haven't seen that movie. Was it good?

Good? I'm not really sure. It was weird as fuck, though. Thompson definitely had a mind that operated on a... different wavelength than the rest of us.

Posts: 10489 | Location: Michigan | Registered: December 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
first: if you don't know who HST is, he's Uncle Duke in Doonsbury and Spider Jerusalem in Transmetropolitian. those characters ARE him in every possible way, and nobody's denied it

second, there's a sequel to 'Fear and Loathing' coming out called The Rum Diaries. there's also 'Where the Buffalo Roam', with the ultra cool Bill Murray playing the ultra cool Hunter S Thompson. the two remained friends, and Thompson's last column on ESPN.com mentions Murray
the obit thread on Metafilter was so long it crashed the site for a bit

The Trendy Nihilist
Picture of mtxx
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Well, he wrote Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Ever see the movie?

No, I guess I haven't seen that movie. Was it good?

Good? I'm not really sure. It was weird as fuck, though. Thompson definitely had a mind that operated on a... different wavelength than the rest of us.

I saw Fear and Loathing with three friends who're all into weirdo movies and surrealism... and we all agreed that it was pretty much crap and probably the worst Terry Gilliam film we'd seen.

Unlike a movie like "Requiem for a Dream", the special effect scenes didn't really seem like real drug induced hallucinations... they just seemed like semi-crappy special effects... the movie didn't really give a sense of an altered consciousness at all. Very disappointing.

(I couldn't be completely sure of course - I've never done anything stronger than weed - but if THIS is what LSD feels like, then I definitely don't see any reason to do it... I can just watch stupid half-baked special effect movies instead.)

- Michael

My boring blog: http://www.xanga.com/mtxx

"This is the spring without end / This is the summer of malcontent / This is the winter of your mind"

Posts: 13534 | Location: Denmark | Registered: June 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i liked it, but i saw it late at night, fucked up on cough syrup and in a cabin in the woods with my HST/Depp-like guru

i need to see 'Where the Buffalo Roam'

found the following on the News Library's magnetic poetry wall while looking to make my own tribute:

drunk and frantic journalist sing
pounding language of spraying blood
and crush symphony

not that great, but something

Her bite actually is worse than her bark.
Picture of Ravenina
posted Hide Post
Awww....that's so sad. Made a crappy day even worse. RIP.

Posts: 2538 | Location: Madrid, Spain | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the Wicked Little Critta
Picture of Mr. Chadtastic
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I guess I should see Fear and Loathing out of sheer curiousity now. I really like Del Toro and Depp. I hope this doesn't ruin my images of them. NAH! It won't ruin my image of them. They're actors, their supposed to play different roles.

-----------------------------
Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery. Additional handling charges may be required.

Posts: 6929 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: November 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As sweet as fresh-cooked Babycakes. Yahr!
Picture of olias
posted Hide Post
holy crap - john raitt and sandra dee also died this weekend!

~~~~~~~~~~
we don't see things as they are, we see them as we are....

Posts: 1392 | Location: chapel hill, nc usa | Registered: March 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sandra Dee died

posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks guys. I guess I should see Fear and Loathing out of sheer curiousity now. I really like Del Toro and Depp. I hope this doesn't ruin my images of them. NAH! It won't ruin my image of them. They're actors, their supposed to play different roles.

Ruin the image? in Fear and Loathing, Depp plays a drug addled, charismatic weirdo... like in his other movies
hell, i saw some of HST in Jack Sparrow... Dad noticed it too. Depp and HST traded lives for a bit before that movie

the Wicked Little Critta
posted Hide Post
When I was a little kid, I developed a crush on Sandra Dee via an old Gidget movie that was showing in place of my afternoon Kung Fu cinema. I didn't understand the concept that she didn't look like that anymore and she was older than mom. I also didn't know she was Bobby Darin's wife and that he was dead.

I think I had a crush on Kate Bosworth after seeing Beyond the Sea.
(Maybe this all belonged in the confession thread)

Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery. Additional handling charges may be required.

Posts: 6929 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: November 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Munk, The Wombat Confessor
posted Hide Post
Hunter S. Thompson.

I can never read anything of his without hearing his raspy voice in my head, slightly slurred, and half with clenched teeth from that ciggarette holder of his.

----------------------------
"How do you get from here to the rest of the world?"

Posts: 3317 | Location: The Woodlands | Registered: April 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Lord of Nothings:
i need to see 'Where the Buffalo Roam'

You do. As far as I'm concerned, Depp was nothing more than a badly drawn caricature. Bill Murray actually made it work.

Better yet, get the Margaritaville recording. It's better than both of the movies combined.

Posts: 37700 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ahh... i really do need to see this movie then

Its like that with Depp and Murray... Depp is more FUN to watch, i guess, but Murray touches me alot more. I love Pirates of the Caribean, but it dosen't get me emotionally the way Groundhog Day or Lost in Translation do....

i really recomend any HST fans go to www.metafilter.com and check out the obit thread. its up to 200 replies...

Picture of Paquette
posted Hide Post
{whimper}

http://www.broadway.com/Gen/Buzz_Story.aspx?ci=507216

{Hugs all musical theatre people and tells them to stop dying!}

This has been a bad year for us Broadway freaks.

~===================================~
Oh dearest Master, who are we but your own Candide, and Cunegonde, and Paquette, and Maximilian, and...Patti LuPone!

Posts: 806 | Location: Westphalia | Registered: December 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i wish my heroes would stop dying, dammit
soon its just going to be Waits and Dylan
and when they're gone? nobody

Runs with wolves, yahr!
Picture of Lady Jasmine
posted Hide Post
I'm really sad about Sandra Dee actually...

She always just seemed...immortal/eternally young or something.

(yes, I'm weird, I am aware of this Wink)

~You're in the Moulin Rouge babe! Your next month's rent depends on it!~

~We'd be so lost...if we weren't 'us'"~

Posts: 4142 | Location: Enchanted Mists | Registered: May 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the Wicked Little Critta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Jasmine:
I'm really sad about Sandra Dee actually...

She always just seemed...immortal/eternally young or something.

(yes, I'm weird, I am aware of this Wink)

If you're weird because you're sad about that too, I guess I'm in good company.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mr. Chadtastic,

is tired of these monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane
Picture of general punk, MA
posted Hide Post
Tom Patterson
The founder of the Stratford Festival in Stratford, Ontario Canada.

High Ranking Official of the Realm of Unproductivity and Procrastination,
Dean of the UUP, First Class member of the order of the Pineapple.
-scruffy ambulating reanimated hypothetical vegetarian leigonairre of the undead. ~ Cav
-Look, I've got a cape and a tendency towards violence. It does not make me a superhero! ~ Domitella
-The key thing to remember about historians is that we are entirely capable of being objective, empirical and batshit crazy. ~ Dr. Marvinmarymac

Posts: 29254 | Location: Somewhereshire | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post