Find
Notify
Tools

Generations
 Login/Join

Part-time amateur cardiologist
Picture of wanderinginmn
posted
I recently switched industries from Healthcare IT to retail IT for a natural foods co-op vid. Yeah, those did not exist where i grew up either.

So anyway, I now have to focus on all of these studies dealing with how people are shopping for food versus how people are getting over disease, and past that I have to actually be involved from a tech perspective in how people are shopping. (ffs.) So most articles that I have had pointed out to me reference shoppers on a generational basis. So they sum up as Baby Boomer, Gen X and Millennials.

Yup.

I was born in 1977. A recent market study combined me with Millennials. What!?? No, I was a working adult prior to the new century, and fuck you. I grew up with Oingo Boingo and the Pet Shop Boys and knew and felt in my fucking bones when Cobain ripped apart the Bryan Adams shit we had been fed, and even grew to like fucking Billy Corgan things my friends liked (though the 'just say maybe' tshirt was brilliant.) [tool and alice in chains, yeah, i'll admit i still listen to lithium on XM as much as NPR when driving.] And hell, KMFDM, Ministry, The Cure and Depeche Mode. What the hell do those have to do with fucking Millennials......(though have you seen Atomic Blond? damn good soundtrack))

So, yeah, then it hit me.... two things.

1) Computers. Those of us born in the 70s (call it 72-4) to the early 90s (endpoint around 95) had computers in school and/or at home (gen Y). Dos and later Windows 3.1 then the 95 and NT bits.... but there was an insane difference between pong and Kings Quest and Leisure Suit Larry. We went from arcade to immersive games where characters cried (Kings quest 3, or 4?) That changed things. Consoles aligned with this. Nintendo killed the arcade store. Same time, same place, same ages. Or sega for those folk. And then in the 90s and why I group a bit later birth date than would make sense we got the Web. Computers became mandatory and we got this alt dot recs and then this board.

2) Smartphones. Then it changed again. iOS and Android hit in 07-08.[so peeps born between 93-5ish and later] Connectivity became mandatory in a two year period. Facebook launched, social media was born. Data mining was born. Two little words. Data Mining. ... ... That is another post, there are no words. My stepson was born in 98. He has no idea what privacy means and fears no consequences of sharing all. He jokes about our current situation and despite my best efforts has no idea what the consequences of any of this means. The internet and all of social media is a game rather than something in pen. No outlet, no game, heh, pencils are out of stock these days. good times, noodle salad.

Gen X--- Y-------- ------- ML------

Morons....

-I.

-Ivan.

Posts: 1996 | Location: MPLS, MN, USA | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tori lookalike contest winner, 2001
Picture of Ophelia's Vengeance
posted Hide Post
Preach! Errr... rant!

You you sent me on a nostalgia reminiscing time lapse. Sierra games (I was more Laura Bow than Kings Quest), LLL!

Yes re: data mining. I have to have various extensions and a paid vpn to try and combat data mining and that's still not even enough.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The World's End.. as Sims!

Posts: 12401 | Location: Bowie's Pants | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
re: Data Mining.

Tin foil hats are indeed out of style.

We went from boards like this to all access paid by google, facebook, visa and twitter.

Though I will point out facebook as the tipping point. That little insidious F like symbol is a tracking fucking nightmare (patient zero if you will.) Even if you are logged out, it was the first tracking cookie, and then the rest followed. (and if the term tracking cookie is new, fucking google it for your own benefit.)

We all knew visa/Mc/amex had all of our transactions. Then the collaboration happened. Everything on you is known, Orwell nightmare.

Now, even add agencies are in on the blocking game- ghostery (i do use that plugin) Cause, hell, learn to block is almost as important as learn to click.

We are fucked. No two ways about it. No way around it, especially with the current stupidity in gov. But, hey considerations are people too. or some shit.

Oh and the words climate change are apparently not allowed in scientific studies[ fuck ].....

Yeah?

-I.

-Ivan.

Posts: 1996 | Location: MPLS, MN, USA | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah...

Firefox with the NoScript and Disconnect extensions seem to be one of the better ways to ensure privacy, at least on a laptop/computer. Sadly, no extensions on mobile though there is a private Firefox browser.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 12401 | Location: Bowie's Pants | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
*giggle* and then there is equifax....

-Ivan.

Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
And then...

Yeah Razz

I give up.

shooting moonbeams out of her a(censored)e.
~Joe

Posts: 24397 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
me too, i just want to go live int he mountains. I would post a pic if i could.

D- and I recently summited Mt Elbert in CO. 14439ft!!! was amazing.

-Ivan.

could be the Video who killed the Radio star.
Picture of fluffyllama
posted Hide Post
flash video?! does that work??
edit - guess not

Would love to hear your reaction to this near future nightmare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJg02ivYzSs

lookit me, i'm postin! wheee!

Posts: 14241 | Location: Mpls, MN USA | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
ooo, that was awesome, hadn't seen that one.

Ads, absolutely, layers, yup. Reset button? Points? Nope, those are too obvious to convince people and too much creep for points, and there will never be a reset button.

So remember the fears of the 80s and 90s with implanted tracking chips? No need, we all carry smartphones now. And, hey, you do not need to be a creepy ass conglomerate to stalk someone. Anyone can do it.

Privacy is dead, and it died a very silent death. And we are the product now. That vid did get that dead on, just did it where the product is an active participant rather than an oblivious passive one that is unaware that they have become a commodity.

Good times, noodle salad.

-I.

edin: ooo, as an add-in bonus, read the terms of service to ancestrydna or 23andme, that is some super creepy shit. And yet people willingly do that.

-Ivan.

could be the Video who killed the Radio star.
Picture of fluffyllama
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wanderinginmn:
edin: ooo, as an add-in bonus, read the terms of service to ancestrydna or 23andme, that is some super creepy shit. And yet people willingly do that.

(o.O)
Oh god. what did i skip over on 23andme?!

lookit me, i'm postin! wheee!

Posts: 14241 | Location: Mpls, MN USA | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
It seems virtual reality makes me nauseous, like being seasick.

But actual boats and water don't.

blergh

~Joe

Posts: 24397 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fluffyllama:
quote:
Originally posted by wanderinginmn:

(o.O)

Yeah.. Family Tree DNA is a bit better privacy-wise (and not allowing for your DNA to be used by others outside of the org.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fluffyllama:
(o.O)

So good news is they cannot own your genome (yet).
Bad news is that anything they want to do with your genome, they can and if they can make money off of it (read if your sequence can cure a disease), they will and you can't do anything about it, nor can you have a say in how this research is done with your data, and all of the potential profits go to them. They can also sell your data to other companies without informing you. Basically their TOS state that they own everything but you now.

Granted there has not been a test case in the courts yet, but it is downright scary if you read through the agreement.

-Ivan.

Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
Welll....

That's all kinds of horrifying.

~Joe