Picture of D M
posted Hide Post
*idea!*

vworpvworpvworp

vworpvworpvworp

*returns from a TARDIS journey to a wet evening in Florida a lifetime ago*

*whistles innocently*

---
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" - H. L. Mencken

Posts: 35347 | Location: London | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sittin' at the dock of the Bayeaux Tapestry
Picture of D M
posted Hide Post
Arhhh, I also think Clover's a little bit touchy over some of her questions Big Grin Razz

---
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" - H. L. Mencken

Posts: 35347 | Location: London | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Companion to owls
Picture of cloverheart
posted Hide Post
LOL! Big Grin It's not just annoying because of the invasion of privacy -it's that, for the last 3 years, I've been asked some questions on a daily basis, I exagerate not. I'd say 1 out of 5 customers asks at least 2 of those questions, and 4 out of 5 taxi drivers.

(As for the translation ones, I always wonder why people feel like they can patronise me about MY job. I wonder if other people get the same with their careers...)

Posts: 11802 | Location: home? | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Adoration of the Modii
Picture of Masque
posted Hide Post
So why "Masque?
It goes back to my BBS days (yeah I'm that old)... I couldn't always go as "Unicorny" and a screenname is merely a mask that we show the internet world and the dance of words that we must use to convey feelings and thoughts.. so it is a double meaning.. a disguise, and a dance.. thus "Masque".. and it is also a cool character name...

Why all the elipsea (...)?
sometimes I get tired of punctuation. Standard punctuation really doesn't.. fit.. I am more a "stream of conscienceness" type person... and the elipse reflect that...

Stats?
Texan by birth and nationality/41/female/blue green hazel eyes, reddish/blondish/brownish hair (natural)/ freckles that are merging into interesting patterns/very happily married/wiccan/now residing in Columbia, South Carolina, USA

Are you REALLY a WTCH?
Yai...

Do you do "witchy things"?
*eyebrowl raise* If you mean "do I dress in black with a pointy hat, have a black cat, eat babies, go on nightly flights on a broomstick, poison wells, turn folks into frogs (or newts.. "A newt? I got better."), live in a gingerbread house (interesting concept), dance naked in a circle and worship "the Devil"".. only a few of those are true.... yai, I do have black cats, sometimes I do dress in black, I have a pointy hat I got as a gag for one All-Hallows (really cool has raimbow stars all over it!).. but for everyday wear I wear a ballcap... or a bandanna.. children love me and no, I don't eat babies... I really wish the "broomstick" myth was true.. can you imagine the gas that would save???? not to mention, I could go visit my friends easier.. but nope.. I do have a broom that is handmade from birch twigs and has an oak shaft, but it resides on my wall. I also have a set of antlers above my door.. as tempting as it is to want to turn someone into an amphibian.. transmutation spells don't work in that fashion.. we strive to change ourselves and though our actions change our world.. I will on occasion be skyclad (nude) in a circle.. but only during times of special need.. and the "devil" as concieved in Chritian mythos is not in my pantheon and thus, not worshiped.. I worship Old deties.. but they are Celtic.. not Semetic or Zoarasterian.. oh and I do not poison wells... I am in a nature religion.. poisoning the Mother is a bad thing... although the concept of living in a house made of gingerbread is fascinating.. it isn't practical.. especially here in South Carolina.. the roaches and ants (not to mention birds and other critters) would have that house eaten before the sun rose on the day after construction was finished.. I have no desire to awaken inside an anthill, thank you very much... I do study herbology and I am a Healer.. among many many MANY other skills..

SPELLS?!
Sigh.. yai.. spells.. a witch's spell is truly nothing more than focused will.. "a prayer with props" so to say.. Witches work with what is called sympathetic magic(k), the belief that "like attracts like".. we have items that help us focus our "energies" give us a stronger picture of what we want to accomplish.. similar is done in faith healing and in churches.. *shrugs* it is really not that mysterious..

Can you cast a Love Spell?
Not in the manner you might wish.. a love spell only helps the person find love, by making them believe that they are worthy of love.. there is no spell that can make you "desirable" to everyone of the opposite (or same) sex.. We have a saying: That which you seek you find not inside yourself, you will never find it outside yourself.. meaning that if you cannot find love within yourself, accepting the love of another is impossible.. so you wouldn't know it if it did show up..

C'mon! I'm Desperate!
obviously... but the answer is still no..

Fine. Ok, How did you get onto the board?
via computer... j/k.. Hubby got me into Neil Gaiman through the comics.. I read Good Omens and liked it, but that was before the Internet was really up beyond emails.. Then a couple years ago, he came upon the message board and told me about it. been here ever since.

Why do you stay?
like minds.. a sense of "family".. folks here are what I call "above par".. the basal line of what seperates a being of homo sapiens from "homo sapiens superious.. we are an abnormality to this world.. we think in concepts that are not viewed or concieved by the accepted "norm"... and I like these people...

Is everything a joke to you?
Nigh of it.. I learned a long time ago that life is too short to be mean or have a stormcloud as a companion.. I feel that it costs nothing to be kind to another.. to be helpful and to be happy.. it also brightens another's life to know that "someone" cares..

What is the SCA?

The Society for Creative Anachromism.. best description is Here.... --> .

If anyone can think of more questions, feel free to comment...

-- Give a man a fish, he eats for the day; Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime; Teach that man to cook, and he can feed the world....
Head chef in the Realm of Procrastination and Unproductivity, Dp.u.: "You want fries with that?"
Holder for the Golden Pineapple Pin.
------------------------------------------------
If it is on the plate, its food. If it crawls off the plate; Kill it and put it back on the plate.
------------------------------------
I love small furry creatures; especially in a good sauce.

Posts: 13941 | Location: In the Kitchen, Cooking Something. | Registered: March 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has a partial eclipse of the heart
Picture of Silk Underground
posted Hide Post
oh. in real life I always get asked if I'm in school, or how old I am.

yes, I'm touchy about that. very.

-Captain Silky, Queen of the Heartless Bitches

YAHR! (by popular demand)

Posts: 4966 | Location: Suburbian Washington, DC | Registered: February 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
Where do you live?

Minneapolis, Minnesota

Wow, Neil lives there, right?

No, Neil is a Cheesehead. He only visits to scrape off some of the cheesy goodness (and get a haircut).

It's really cold there, isn't it?

No, it's balmy even in November, Aitapata will confirm this. All our igloos have melted and right now we all live in holes in the ground. At least they're 'green' and politically correct.
We're big on that.

It says you have no front teeth....why?

It's all Dweller's fault.

How did you find the Board?

I did the whole Pratchett/Good Omens things, and then bought American Gods at the airport. Didn't connect the two until I got home. I was assimilated because of a certain "Is a blowjob on my birthday too much to ask?" thread.

I realized that these are My People.

And they have llamas.

You used to be Old Fart. How old?

Older than dirt, next question.

Dogs or cats?

Either. Both. Vegetarian option?

Pie?

is a blessing. Crème brulée is proof that there is a God.

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Grow up?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BeeZee,

shooting moonbeams out of her a(censored)e.
~Joe

Posts: 24395 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
should only be taken in the dosage prescribed by your physician
Picture of CancerDusk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Babylon the Bride:
Posted that one on my blog already:

You speak German so well!
Thanks, so do you.

Hahaha! How long have you lived here?
Long

How long?
I was born here.

You look...different.
Er...thanks.

I mean, in a good way!
Yes, thank you.

How come?
My mother is from Indonesia.

Tunisia?
Indonesia.

Oh. What's the capital city?
Jakarta.

I went to Bali! Everyone there is so friendly!
Yes, they inflate the island every year for the tourists.

Do you speak...whatever they speak in your country?
Indonesian. And enough to get by.

Say something!
*says "You are an idiot"*

What does that mean?
Good morning.

I know someone from Thailand. I know lots of Asian girls.
That's great.

I like Asian girls, they just know how to treat men right. You know? They're more...submissive.
Excuse me, I need to mingle with the spring rolls at the buffet.

Replace "German" with "English" and Austrians sound just like Americans.

------
"Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us. Cynics always say no. But saying 'yes' begins things. Saying 'yes' is how things grow. Saying 'yes' leads to knowledge."
~Stephen Colbert

Posts: 7088 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: July 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is imperfectly illuminated
Picture of Murphy
posted Hide Post
Murphy... so are you Irish?
No. Murphy is derived from Murphy's law, a medieval contraction of 'Morpheus' law', which applies to logic in dreams, that if you think of something that can go wrong, it will.

so, you're a massage therapist.
Statement. One-love. True, though. I've led a fairly random career path, of which this is my latest branch.

does anyone ever ask for extras?
No.

... *waggles eyebrows*
No.

... really?
Really. No.

But i bet it helps with the ladies.
Another statement. Two-love. Answer is sometimes.

so what's the deal with Mischief and you?
We're the same poster.

so, do the two aspects represent some comment on the dualistic nature of mankind, a philosophically abstruse concept, perhaps?
Stop using long words to sound clever.

Well?
No.
Back in the day, I invented Mischief as a joke because i gave Circus a present of a teddy bear, and by degrees it became a real polarbear. Then my Murphy account went AWOL. People do tend to respond differently to the two on occasion, but essentially i change my avatar on a whim.

Does anyone ever ask for extras?
Repetition... Game and match!

---------------
*is currently impressed*

Posts: 8147 | Location: London, England | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
So... how do you pronounce your name?
it rhymes with "save"

Mauve, who's your favourite author?
It's M-A-E-V-E, there's no U in there, I am not a colour.

yeah... So, Mauve, who is your favourite author?
Terry Pratchett

Why aren't you on his message board then?
I was, years ago. It didn't seem a very welcoming place. Please remember that this was years ago and my personal perception. I knew Neil Gaiman existed and did Sandman, but I never read those - I read Good Omens, way back when it came out in paperback the first time.

So you never read Sandman then?
Nope. Both my roommates (1990, lived in Philadelphia) read and collected the comics, so I know vaguely what it looks like, but honestly I don't have a clue.

Knitting? Really?
Yup. In my soul, I am an artist and designer. In reality it rarely comes out the way I wanted and expected. It seems like I am a maker of useless crap that people say they adore but will never pay for.

Cooking and baking? Why don't you have proper recipes?
I like to experiment. And it's very satisfying to me when I get to feed many people. If I ever do visit any boardies offline, you can expect food Smile

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Biscuitkeeper
Picture of Matt Cable
posted Hide Post
So wait...Your name isn't Matt?

Nope. It's David. I wanted a Sandman related name when I registered. Sandman, Morpheus and Matthew were already taken. I'm getting used to people calling me Matt at mini-meats.

And you're an engineer? You read?

Yeah. Chemical engineering. And some of us do read. Despite what my old professors said, I'm not a Republican chemist. I do material R&D for an automotive supplier and the longer I work here the better I feel about owning a Toyota.

Really? You read?

Yes. I fell in love with Sandman. Ramadan was my first and I devoured the rest that month.

That's a comic. What about books?

I've read most of Neil's books, Lord of the Rings, George R.R. Martin, most fantasy. Where the Red Fern Grows was a childhood favorite. I cried at the end.

What about your fossil trips? I like archeology too!

Archeology is the study of ancient people. Paleontology is the study of ancient life and fossils. I like both, but fossils are my true love. A trilobite's relatives don't care if I dig up his remains.

Have you found anything cool?

Intresting, sure. I found the second known specimen of a 360MYO echinoid. It's a distant relative to starfish and sand dollars. I've also found quite a few trilobites and can clean them in my basement now. Amy calls them dead cockroaches.

Where do you find them?

Limestone quarries, river banks, road cuts. I'm usually staring at my feet when I'm walking a beach. I've hunted in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Ontario, North Carolina, Florida and even Scotland. No T-Rex yet.

You're shorter than I expected?

Yeah. 5'5". Been the short kid all my life.

But you're still young.

Not as young as you think. I'm 31 and still get carded. I fight to get respect in the office when someone meets me because they think I just graduated college. Someone thought I was an intern this summer. No. The 6'2" kid is the intern and reports to me.

I hear you have a Coke habit.

True. I drink at least one Coke a day. Coca-Cola that is. I need my caffine. It's my only vice. I'm sure my heart will explode some day. I hope it's not too messy.

Posts: 10767 | Location: Michigan | Registered: April 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
none more black
Picture of mudpuppy
posted Hide Post
So, have you ever seen a ghost?
I think it was a ghost. I was in that state of almost being alseep, but I rubbed my eyes repeatedly and the darn thing kept being there. I pulled the covers over my head and when I peeked out it was gone.

How about a UFO, ever seen one?
In the strictest sense I did see an object which I could not identify. The only thing I can figure was that it may have been some small, one-man craft, powered by a lawn mower motor, a fan, and a black disc shaped balloon.

What do you think of vampires?
I like them, but the knee licking is a bit much.

If you could transport yourself to a fictional place, where would you go?
Hmm, there are so many places I would like to go, but as of right now I would like to be aboard Dan Simmons' The Terror for its doomed Arctic Expedition.

Wouldn't that be a dangerous and uncomfortable place to be?
meh.

Fascinating! But seriously, how do you feel about life in general, where you are, where you are going, that sort of thing?
I feel like so much flotsam and jetsum, like I'm just being carried through existence by unseen forces. Just kidding! Right?

What brought you to the World's End?
The story A Murder Mystery. After I finished it I thought it was probably the most perfect story I'd ever read. I still favor it.

But why do you stay?
Richard Gere<I got no place else ta go!> Richard Gere

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mudpuppy,

Posts: 4915 | Registered: July 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wigber
Picture of striv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Babylon the Bride:
I'm so glad I met you! My name is *popular brand of cookies*
*commiserates*
My surname is a popular brand of cookies.

Τα παιδεία παίζει.

Posts: 168 | Location: Katerini, Hellas | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Companion to owls
Picture of cloverheart
posted Hide Post
Oh, btw, my surname was shared by a confectioner family from where I come from who named a chocolate bar after them (now owned by Cadbury Frown).

So I got that too as a kid, plus "Are you related to the people who make ****?".

Posts: 11802 | Location: home? | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is irreducibly complex
Picture of Weeble
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Cable:
I found the second known specimen of a 360MYO echinoid. It's a distant relative to starfish and sand dollars.
Wow! Cool! If you had been the first, could you have named it after yourself?

~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~
Weeble: Vibrant and bouncy, like something one would find valiantly trying to escape from a Disney geneticist's specimen freezer. - Pelham Bleatwell, Esq.

Posts: 10991 | Location: *rattling the bars of my cage* | Registered: November 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
here
Picture of Hooligan
posted Hide Post
So, a second Personal FAQ. Are you really that interesting?

Nope.

Um, ok...

Posts: 3024 | Location: Uncle Sam's worst summer camp | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Biscuitkeeper
Picture of Matt Cable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Weeble:
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Cable:
I found the second known specimen of a 360MYO echinoid. It's a distant relative to starfish and sand dollars.
Wow! Cool! If you had been the first, could you have named it after yourself?

Nope. Typically a professor will study and describe the specimen. If it is new, he/she can name it after the person who found it, their favorite author or their pet, but you can't name it after yourself. Here's my original post with pictures.

Posts: 10767 | Location: Michigan | Registered: April 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is irreducibly complex
Picture of Weeble
posted Hide Post
So, uh, Weeble, is it?
Ayup.

Um... uh...
?

Look, frankly you're not that interesting and I can't think of any questions to ask you, okay?
Ayup.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Edited months later to add: Weeble song! Sing along!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Weeble,

~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~
Weeble: Vibrant and bouncy, like something one would find valiantly trying to escape from a Disney geneticist's specimen freezer. - Pelham Bleatwell, Esq.

Posts: 10991 | Location: *rattling the bars of my cage* | Registered: November 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is in perfect karmic alignment
Picture of Punkyfins
posted Hide Post
Murphy: Just for that i adore you madly.

-------------------
Blog: Room with a view.

~You are a *Taverner*.
Sometimes patrons want to go where everybody knows their names, though it helps when half of them are named John. When people want to celebrate, or commiserate, they gather to your establishment. You provide the atmosphere, the warmth, rum, and even an ear to bend. Did I mention the rum? Years before the language will be mangled with terms like facilitator and networking and interpersonal communication, you've overseen it all, and broken up a few bar fights, to boot.~
-Royko

Posts: 8667 | Location: Just north of Earth | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cassiopeia
posted Hide Post
*could think of lots of things to ask Weeble*

Posts: 5814 | Location: Behind bars - chocolate bars | Registered: April 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
none more black
Picture of mudpuppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
*could think of lots of things to ask Weeble*

me too! Like:

Its been said that you wobble, but you don't fall down. Why is that?

Posts: 4915 | Registered: July 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post