Notify
Tools

Your Personal FAQ
 Login/Join

meticulously avoids clarity
Picture of NicoleH
posted Hide Post
No Maeve, that actually did help clarify for me, thanks Big Grin

Posts: 2642 | Location: Tronno | Registered: September 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has been eaten by a grue.
Picture of Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dweller in Darkness:

Oh, and I don't offer explanations of where the titles come from and your options are to either accept and love your title or have it removed until I get bored and make you a new one.

boardie title mystique. ooooo...
*waggles fingers*

Big Grin

~ fLame Woosh ~
Elite Special Force Procrastinator, trained in High Arts of Extended Coffee Breaks and
Master Linguist of the Water Cooler Conversation

Posts: 7134 | Location: the gloaming | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maeve:
to completely derail the thread - Who is Scratch Fury and where does that quote come from? s'brilliant!

He's a character in PvP, one of my favourite webcomics. He's a cat accidentally endowed with genius and naturally endowed with great sarcasm and a desire to conquer the world. He is, after all, a cat.

Here's the strip. I should warn you that it's part of a storyline that involves pretty much everything that's happened in the strip ever, though not in a spoilery way. It's still quite clever.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48711 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sittin' at the dock of the Bayeaux Tapestry
Picture of D M
posted Hide Post
PVP is awesome Smile

---
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" - H. L. Mencken

Posts: 35348 | Location: London | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
It is. It isn't always the very funniest thing I'll read that day, but it is consistently and always entertaining and when it's on, it's very much on.

What I particularly like is the delicate breaking of the fourth wall. For the most part it follows a fairly logical flow of events but then partway through the strip a panda mauls Brent.

- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 48711 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dane Cook's Final Horcrux
Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
*resists urge to read PvP*

I don't think I can read more than 14 comics in the morning!

Posts: 20848 | Registered: November 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sittin' at the dock of the Bayeaux Tapestry
Picture of D M
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is. It isn't always the very funniest thing I'll read that day, but it is consistently and always entertaining and when it's on, it's very much on.

What I particularly like is the delicate breaking of the fourth wall. For the most part it follows a fairly logical flow of events but then partway through the strip a panda mauls Brent.

Or Brent and Cole drive the General Lee Big Grin

---
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" - H. L. Mencken

Posts: 35348 | Location: London | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumble Fish
posted Hide Post
1. Why "green-robot" ?
The green-robot name came to me back when I was into MySpace. All I really did with my MySpace was play around with how it looked. So one day I decided to change it to green, and googled "green myspace layouts". I found one with a sweet little emo robot in the corner, loved it, and kind of stole the robot for my own personal net-icon. I've redrawn the robot so many times and made it my own, I don't think I even have the original around anymore.

2. How many siblings do you have, again?
There are eleven people living in my house. Two parents, married to each other and only to each other since 1986, and their nine offspring. All natural, only one set of robotwins, and we all love it. I can't imagine life without one or 3 of my siblings. I'm the oldest, I have 3 sisters (known collectively as ˜The Girls') and 5 brothers (David, then The Boys and The Twins). Oh and, no we're not Catholic, or Dutch, or Amish, or anything special. We're just Canadian. Crazy Canadian, maybe. J

3. So. You and Twilite. How'd that happen?
Yep, me and the Minotaur. Well, a lot of it has to do with... my crazy 17-year-old self deciding to post exactly what she thought about some random guy on the Internet. And that turning into an on-Board flirtation, which turned into an email/IM correspondence that lasted on and off for 2 years. And then he decided to come to Vancouver from Hawaii this past January to meet a bunch of WGBers, and... they all called us the Siamese WigBers... and the rest is pretty much history!

4. How'd you find the World's End?
Erm. Does anyone remember when the Cleavage Thread started? ˜Twas around the time when there was a lot of cross-pollination going on between this board and the WGB. I just followed the crowd... and then a few months ago I remember this place and decided to come back! And liked it so much I've stayed J

5. So have you read any Gaiman then?
Yes. I've read "Smoke and Mirrors", "Stardust", "Neverwhere", and "American Gods". My local library fails with selection but I'm slowly building up my list of have-reads.

6. Favourite color?
Not green! Haha. Well, actually green is on the list but the list starts with purple, then black (I know I know the absence of color shaddup) and then green.

7. Do you read more or watch movies more?
I. Uhm. I... do both? I watch a lot of movies, which is why people loved me when I worked at the video store. But I also read a ton.

8. Favourite movie?
i have many. Big Grin Lost in Translation, Lords of Dogtown, The Breakfast Club, The Matrix, Lucky Number Slevin, 10 Things I Hate About You, Snatch, Pretty in Pink, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, Waterworld Big Grin these are some that i can watch over and over and not get tired of.

9. What are you gonna be when you grow up?
I have no idea, but it is interesting finding out Smile

10. How was the Hawaii Trip this January?
It was incredible. I want to move there. Twilite had a long list of things to see and do and we did and saw most of them, I met his family, I swam at the beach where Obama bodysurfs, I spent lots of quality time with the most amazing person in the world... I'm going back as soon as I can.

11. So, what's the plan from here?
Working at my full-time above-minimum-wage job, moving out of my parents' house with a friend, spending as much time in virtual contact with Twilite as possible, probably taking a course that will help with job-ness later in life... Twilite is planning a summer visit north probably in July, and after that we're hoping for "complete relationship evertion" into the same timezone. Currently looking like I'll be going there, which is all kinds of awesome but depends on Twilite's new job.

12. Who is this "bufo" character?
"bufo" is the nickname that my friend's twin brother gave him. I used to call this guy "ex-cubie", but decided that sounded too much like an "ex-boyfriend" or something. Bufo keeps me sane at work, and is a good sounding board for ideas.

13. What about "La-la"?
I started this job with one friend, made in training. She was nicknamed "Shay-La-la" by another person, and that turned into "La-la". She is my cubemate and work-friend, and a real sweetheart.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: StarlitHolly,

Posts: 3140 | Location: amongst the stacks | Registered: May 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D M:
quote:

Or Brent and Cole drive the General Lee Big Grin

Or Francis and Marcy *cough* level up.

- G.K. Chesterton

has been eaten by a grue.
Picture of Apathy
posted Hide Post
hey, Twin, can I riff on your questions? not officially, perhaps, but it'd be fun. Big Grin

~ fLame Woosh ~
Elite Special Force Procrastinator, trained in High Arts of Extended Coffee Breaks and
Master Linguist of the Water Cooler Conversation

Posts: 7134 | Location: the gloaming | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumble Fish
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Apathy:
hey, Twin, can I riff on your questions? not officially, perhaps, but it'd be fun. Big Grin

not... exactly... sure what you mean... but ok?

Posts: 3140 | Location: amongst the stacks | Registered: May 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dread Buthulhu
Picture of Bucephalus
posted Hide Post
*bump*

Look! It's an FAQ thread!

New posters should feel free!

Posts: 843 | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NicoleH
posted Hide Post
Oh man, I still never got around to this! I'll have to think of some questions..

Posts: 2642 | Location: Tronno | Registered: September 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vampiric Scottie-bat trainer

posted Hide Post
Oh, right! I wanted to do this for ages!

Posts: 8222 | Location: Bärlin | Registered: October 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vampiric Scottie-bat trainer

posted Hide Post
Crediwen? Are you Welsh?

It's Ceridwen. And no, I just like the name. She's a female magician (not witch) from Welsh mythology, somehow linked to the Arthurian legend, and the mother of Taliesin the Bard.

So, Cerwiden, where are you from?

Eastern Germany, near Berlin. And it's Ce-ri-dwen.

Eastern Germany? You're a COMMUNIST???

Ehm, no? I'd consider myself a Liberal (by American standards) with some Green tendencies. Also, I was barely twelve when the Berlin Wall fell...

Twelve, eh? That would make you-

Shut up.

Ooh, sensitive about your age, Ceridiwen?

C-E-R-I-D-W-E-N! And you'd be too, if you were my age.

You Germans just have no sense of humour!

Roll Eyes Got any more clichées to trot out while we're at it?

Well, now that you mention it...

Right: No, I don't like David Hasselhoff, never did, he's a complete twat. I don't really drink beer, but German beer is good. We do not live on a diet of sausages (but we make pretty good ones) and Sauerkraut, and whatever you have eaten under the name of the latter is *not* Sauerkraut. We do not run around in Lederhosen and Dirndl, only (some) Bavarians do that. The same goes for listening to oompah-oompah beerfest-music. And Bavaria:Germany ~ Texas:USA.

[small voice] It's "Cridewin"?[/small voice]

*sigh* Just call me Fran.

Posts: 8222 | Location: Bärlin | Registered: October 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Istanbul was never Constantinople. They lied.
Picture of Cyan Dream
posted Hide Post
Gray?
Grey.

Why grey?
It's my favorite color.

It's not a color, it's a shade.
Thanks, nobody's ever told me that before. It doesn't change the fact that if I look at the world around me the visual input I enjoy the most is grey. Also, it's metaphorical.

Metaphorical?
Aye. It's a kind o' lie to help people understand what's true.

What famous people/characters have you been compared to?
Physically, people told me all through high school that I looked just like whatever-her-name-is who played Rory Gilmore. No, I told them, She looks like me. I've also been told I look like American McGee's Alice, which I think is much more flattering.

In addition, people have compared me to Violet from Ihe Incredibles, and Violet from A Series of Unfortunate Events. Both in the same week. I don't know how accurate either is.

I've also been compared to Kino (of Kino's Journey) and Tiffany Aching (of Discworld). Both of which I'm rather pleased about.

Which, I assume, is why you've decided to share that information. You aren't really frequently asked that question at all, are you?
No, not at all. You've found me out.

Who/what is your favorite ___________?
Author: Terry Pratchett (but I'm here because I do also quite like Neil Gaiman, for the record).
Band: The Mountain Goats.
Poet: Frank O'Hara.
Television show: The Daily Show.
Internet personality: Ze Frank.
Beverage: Seltzer.
Alcoholic beverage: Bailey's.
Time of day: The wee hous of the morning, when everyone else is asleep.
Animal: Cat.

What do you do?
Think, mostly.

No, I mean, what do you do for money?
Ah...get back to me about that in about two years.

All right, well, what do you want to be when you grow up?
Wise. And happy, if the two are not mutually exclusive.

Oh, forget it.
Gladly.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Cyan Dream,

inagreyplace + colour theory.

Posts: 3426 | Location: purgatory, USA. | Registered: June 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
was not written by a man named "Cougar"
Picture of smalltown
posted Hide Post
So, where have all the good men gone?
They went somewhere? I don't know about you, but I happen to know quite a few.

And where are all the gods?
Have you tried the yellow pages? They've got quite an extensive religious organization section...

So where's my streetwise Hercules?
I'd try the redlight district...

To fight the rising odds?
Umm...yes?

It appears you've already got one of these going! Any reason for an update?
No, not particularly...the thread was bumped and I'm giving myself a break from homework.

Well, your last one was over a year ago. Any major changes?
I'm a senior in college! I also have new piercings and no definite plans for the future. Except Australia.

Australia.
Thats not a question! But yes, for the month of January I will be bumming around with the Aussies pretending to be in a class while really just trying to convince myself that I'm actually in another country.

Why do you keep looking around?
Because something smells delicious! I'm hoping that the finals-week-midnight-cookie-run-in-the-library involves fresh baked cookies tonight. *crosses fingers*

You should probably get back to work...
What are you, my mother?

*stern look*
yes mother  

----------------
Duck...duck...duck...duck...BOOBS!

Posts: 4116 | Location: Tacoma! (Because really, who wants to live in Seattle?) | Registered: October 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NicoleH
posted Hide Post
Nicol eh, eh? What are you, like - Canadian?

It's Nicole H! NICOLE H! Oh my, I really need to pick a screen name like superfine9320 to avoid this don't I?

So.. are you Canadian as well as superfine?

Oh, for the love of.. No, i'm not. I'm not Canadian. I am superfine, however.

Okay, it says there you are in London, England - does that mean you're British?

Nope, i'm a displaced antipodean! I grew up in Australia but i've been living in London for a little over a year now. Just to confuse you all.

So are you a convict then? Ha ha!

Don't make me come over there, seriously.

So what exactly is there to do in London?

What isn't there to do?! I spend most of my time finding tasty vegan foods, browsing in comic shops, or visiting museums.

Whoo, you really know how to have a good time!

I said, don't make me come over there.

Uh, okay. Museums, then?

Yes, museums! All sorts of museums. I love 'em - love working in them, love visiting them. I am a bona fide real life museum nerd. (I have letters to prove it!)

Is that it, then? Just vegan food, museums, and being a nerd?

That's pretty much it. I do occasionally enjoy a horror movie or two, and a bit of rock and/or roll.

I assume you like Neil, too?

Oh yes, lovely chap! Would like to make him a cup of tea.

Alright then - thanks for your time!

Is that it, then? Where's my chocolate? You promised me chocolate!

Uhh.. What's that, over there?! *vanishes*

Ooh, shiny...

Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
*bumps for AishaN*

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20598 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Runs with wolves, yahr!
Picture of Lady Jasmine
posted Hide Post
Um, I've always meant to ask how exactly these work...do we just make up any questions we want to answer?

~You're in the Moulin Rouge babe! Your next month's rent depends on it!~

~We'd be so lost...if we weren't 'us'"~

Posts: 4138 | Location: Enchanted Mists | Registered: May 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post