Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    HBO's Game of Thrones (*WARNING* Spoilers are a possible)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HBO's Game of Thrones (*WARNING* Spoilers are a possible)
 Login/Join

Picture of Game Wizard
posted
I like many have been waiting patiently for not only the 5th book Dance of Dragons but also for the premiere of Game of Thrones on HBO.

So I thought I'd start a post (I don't know if one is already up or not, didn't look, sorry) discussing what we say.

I will warn now, I will mention spoiler moments both in the show and the book as I believe that a full discussion of the show can't happen if there is only general descriptions and vague notions being said. If you have not read the books this show is adapted from or seen the show itself, leave now. You have been warned!

So I want to say I loved the first episode thus far, it starts us off with the very first scene in the book, the 3 Black Brothers of the Nights Watch. We get to see Wights (frozen zombies with Blue Eyes) and a brief glimpse of an Other! I do hope they later change the look of them because I managed to freeze the frame just as it is swinging the ice sword (also awesome!) and the look is something like the Wraiths from Stargate Atlantis with blue eyes. I hope they change it later on in the second or third season/book they do when they get that far.

After that we see Winterfell, the execution of the deserter, Ice the Valyrian blade. That I think doesn't look as impressive as it is described in the book. It was said to be almost dark grey going on black for the color and it just looked like any sword you would see in a fantasy/medieval period film or tv show. Just a detail I will grumble about but doesn't take away how well done they have made this show.

The characters are just right, especially Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister. He is spot on with how that character is portrayed right down to the smart mouth he has.

Overall, first episode is a great starting point for this series. I can't wait for episode 2 so we can find out if Bran lives or dies from the slight nudge he got from one Jaimie Lannister? *wink wink*

So did anyone see the show? What did anyone think thus far?

--------~~~~~~~*******
When Life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make Life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What the hell am I supposed to do with these!? Demand to see Life's manager! Make Life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Posts: 275 | Location: Somplace where there is cake.....What do you mean the cake is a lie? | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is huge in Japan
Picture of Crow Girl
posted Hide Post
It doesn't air until late tonight on AFN, but I'm very much looking forward to it. The previews look great!

Posts: 6977 | Location: Fahrvergnügen | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Game Wizard
posted Hide Post
....oh right, I forgot the air time overseas is off....my bad. Did warn there would be spoilers....but really now that I look back I didn't reveal more than has been shown in the making of videos or that 14 min preview. So yeah, just got to wait then I suppose.

--------~~~~~~~*******
When Life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make Life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What the hell am I supposed to do with these!? Demand to see Life's manager! Make Life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Posts: 275 | Location: Somplace where there is cake.....What do you mean the cake is a lie? | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is huge in Japan
Picture of Crow Girl
posted Hide Post
Well, I've read the books- so i'm not too concerned about spoilers Wink

So far I'm pleased with how they have adapted the book for the TV series. Sure, there are some details here and there that are off, but I don't think they detract from the story any. Knowing that Martin is so heavily involved in the production, if it doesn't bother him, I figure it shouldn't bother me.

Posts: 6977 | Location: Fahrvergnügen | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
Haven't read the books, am unlikely to be able to see the show, but I'd like to watch it on the sole basis of it having Peter Dinklage in it.

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15845 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I'm not so sure that someone who hasn't read the books or at least has a person who has read the books to sort of annotate for them will enjoy this? Because if it is the sort of thing one would enjoy, surely that person will know about the books?

I haven't read the books for a long time. I was planning on re-reading them before book #5 was released and it just never got released (until supposedly July-ish, I'll believe it when I see it) and the longer it went on the less I wanted to re-read them.

So far I think everything looks like it should and I especially love the opening credit shots.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Starving artist doctor - well, not starving, but if you happen to have an extra biscuit lying around . . .
Picture of Causa Varmilly
posted Hide Post
I never read them because the library only had book 2. But I could keep up fine with the first episode, although seeing random bits of Cave Hill Country Park and Tollymore was hugely distracting.

How do people from LA and Vancouver and such watch TV? DO you stop noticing?

------------------------------
You are a Leprechaun. I'm not even sure what you are. Whiskey-soaked reports from your baffling Isle of Ire raise more questions than they answer. Are you a dwarf? Where's your pickax? If you're an elf, why don't you cobble? You'd think with all your gold, you could invest in some land, perhaps a title, and improve your station. Instead, you hide it in meteorologically-determined locations. You're getting killed on inflation, little friend!

Posts: 9036 | Location: Belfast, NI | Registered: April 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Game Wizard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crow Girl:
Well, I've read the books- so i'm not too concerned about spoilers Wink

So far I'm pleased with how they have adapted the book for the TV series. Sure, there are some details here and there that are off, but I don't think they detract from the story any. Knowing that Martin is so heavily involved in the production, if it doesn't bother him, I figure it shouldn't bother me.

As far as first episode goes, there are a few moments that were added in like Jamie and Ned talking, or Catelyn and Cersi talking that were never in the book but does sort of add to the tension that is between these two great families. These bits add to the story which is wonderful. It gives us these bits that could have happened, but we never get to see because we only get certain scenes from a POV of one character.

Sometimes they don't see these moments or are not present so this show either fills in the blanks or gives us a what-if moment within the context of the moment.

@Hive - Peter Dinklage is awesome, he hits all the right notes of Tyrion right down to the part of him cavorting with whores and the smart mouth.

--------~~~~~~~*******

The Biscuitkeeper
Picture of Matt Cable
posted Hide Post
I continue to be impressed.

Geoffrey is a perfect little brat. My only problem so far is how quickly the direwolves have grown up. I don't think a year has passed since they found the pups, but they look like full grown wolves, 2+ years old now.

Posts: 10768 | Location: Michigan | Registered: April 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Game Wizard
posted Hide Post
Well remember, that most of the scenes in the book took place over the period of weeks and months, sometimes in the same POV chapter in the book, so the show is following that progression of time.

I don't know if you saw the second episode, but even Catelyn said that by the time Bran fell to when she is revealing her suspicions to Rob and Maester Luwin about how Bran might not have fallen on his own after all, it has been over a month. Ned was already far down the Kingsroad by then which does take quite a long time to do by a caravan of that size.

Also, first episode Catelyn mentions that the pups are growing fast on their own after catching Bran climbing. Remember these are not regular wolf pups but a special breed of them so accelerated growth compared to other canines shouldn't be that big of a surprise. I can't wait till we find out how big these wolves will get in not only the books but the show as well.

--------~~~~~~~*******

Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Aren't they supposed to be way bigger than regular wolves anyway?

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
here
Picture of Hooligan
posted Hide Post
Loved the first episode, but I do think they messed up Kings Landing a bit. From the maps in the book and the description, I thought it was on the narrow end of a river estuary (I always thought of it as being like Bristol). In the show it looked to be on a much, much larger body of water.

Nitpicking, I know, but it could cause some changes in the story....

Posts: 3024 | Location: Uncle Sam's worst summer camp | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Biscuitkeeper
Picture of Matt Cable
posted Hide Post
Months I understand, but those direwolves are now 2+ years old. They just don't grow that quick.

It's still a great show and I'm just nitpicking.

Posts: 10768 | Location: Michigan | Registered: April 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of psyche
posted Hide Post
I was quite disappointed with the tv series Frown It's one of my favorite books so maybe I was hoping for more. It just seems flat to me.

I love Arya Stark and Daenerys Targaryen though. I think they were perfect for their roles Smile

lurk.... lurk.... lurk....

Posts: 628 | Location: 8000 light years from earth | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Game Wizard
posted Hide Post
@psyche - what do you mean it seemed flat to you?

I'm guessing you probably put too expectations into this and they were not met.

As to your assesment of Arya and Daenerys, yes they are perfect but I'm still waiting for a little more from them. I know they are both strong characters, and their arcs thus far in the books are easily the strongest to me and the ones I look forward to seeing how they continue to grow.

But right now I will have to wait as those two are not given enough I think yet to show how strong they are as characters. Show is still new, still building everything up. Still got 8 more episodes before it all starts paying off.

Are you still going to keep watching or are you going to give this a pass and stick with the books?

--------~~~~~~~*******

Recovering catnip addict, (yahr)
Picture of pkitty
posted Hide Post
It's hard to compare an adaptation of a book to its movie/series- it'll rarely match the visions in your head, and the filming process has to truncate or expedite events to advance the storyline. So I try to watch with lowered expectations.

I'm enjoying it so far, so I'm sticking with it, cos there is not enough fantasy on the American telly.

Maeve is right- direwolves are supposed to be twice as large as regular wolves, so that size is probably spot on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well we all shine on, like the moon and the stars and the sun...

Illusions on celluloid

My new website!

Posts: 2546 | Location: LaLa Land, USA | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of psyche
posted Hide Post
@Game Wizard - I'm still going to keep watching it because it somehow gives life to the characters in my head. Just seems a bit flat to me because it didn't give the proper gravity to the direwolves in connection to House Stark, the weirwoods and the dragons to the Targaryens. I may be expecting too much from the first two episodes though.

@pkitty - Yes, you're right. I should manage my expectations. GRRM has outdone himself with the books and it's impossible to directly translate into film. It won't stop me from watching though. I'm addicted to ASOIAF.

lurk.... lurk.... lurk....

Posts: 628 | Location: 8000 light years from earth | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Game Wizard
posted Hide Post
@psyche - I would say whatever expectations you investing into this show before hand were correct as far as your perspective of the material is.

As stated, an adaptation will have to compress what we think should be in the show or how certain things should be so that they can be viewable through the TV medium.

Plus as far as the direwolves go, the gravity you speak of or at least as far as I can attach to it, that does not come about until later in the series, possibly by the end of this season and into the next one. Remember as you said, it is only the first 2 episodes and there is still a lot to cover yet. Give it time.

This is a lot like cooking, after all the prep work is done, you have to let things cook for a while, let things come to a boil slowly else you will ruin the whole dish.

--------~~~~~~~*******

Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Causa Varmilly:
I never read them because the library only had book 2. But I could keep up fine with the first episode, although seeing random bits of Cave Hill Country Park and Tollymore was hugely distracting.

How do people from LA and Vancouver and such watch TV? DO you stop noticing?

Would you like book #1? I have it lurking somewhere and really, if I ever re-read them it'll be digitally. I have all the books, but one of them is hardback, so that might be costly to ship it.

Starving artist doctor - well, not starving, but if you happen to have an extra biscuit lying around . . .
Picture of Causa Varmilly
posted Hide Post
Aww, thank you! Might be better handing them on to someone closer though, I can raid my friend's bookshop (but not allowed to read new series until I finish the ones I'm on).

I am going to smack the next person who complains about the light in the Stark bits of the story. We are in parts north! The light is in fact kind of not Californian! They filmed it where I'm sitting right now!

------------------------------
You are a Leprechaun. I'm not even sure what you are. Whiskey-soaked reports from your baffling Isle of Ire raise more questions than they answer. Are you a dwarf? Where's your pickax? If you're an elf, why don't you cobble? You'd think with all your gold, you could invest in some land, perhaps a title, and improve your station. Instead, you hide it in meteorologically-determined locations. You're getting killed on inflation, little friend!

Posts: 9036 | Location: Belfast, NI | Registered: April 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post