Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    HBO's Game of Thrones (*WARNING* Spoilers are a possible)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HBO's Game of Thrones (*WARNING* Spoilers are a possible)
 Login/Join

Recovering catnip addict, (yahr)
Picture of pkitty
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I got that, but did the carpet munching and hand jobs really drive that point across? I guess that had to keep the male viewers interested.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well we all shine on, like the moon and the stars and the sun...

Illusions on celluloid

My new website!

Posts: 2546 | Location: LaLa Land, USA | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resting by the shade of the tumtum tree, yahr!
Picture of Moon Jester
posted Hide Post
Haha, I remember when before the series started some lady wrote for the NY times (I think?) wrote that the only reason they were showing sex scenes and the hot men and all was to get female viewers.

I dunno, Littlefinger's scene just felt... um, weird while watching it. I can see what Game Wizard said about the scene though. I mean, there were other ways they could've done this, but it did do a good job of establishing Littlefinger's personality. I guess to me it makes sense they chose to do it that way because sex/nudity can be associated in some ways with vulnerability (is that the right word?) so it sort of it gets the whole "power" part of his personality across well. Not that the viewer needed to see (and hear) all that went on in that scene.

-----~~-----
Cthulhu for president~Why vote for the lesser evil?

Posts: 9600 | Location: I was hoping you could tell me | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vampiric Scottie-bat trainer

posted Hide Post
I got books 1-4 on Friday (for free, from a bonus thingy at work), so I can read along(ish) from now on. Should be interesting to see how that might alter the perspective.
I'll try to watch first and not read ahead for the most part. If LOTR and HP have taught me one thing, it's to enjoy the books seperately from their adaptation, and I can do that only if I don't read them first.

Posts: 8222 | Location: Bärlin | Registered: October 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pkitty
posted Hide Post
Even thought I knew what was going to happen, I still cried.

And next week is the last episode of the season???

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Illusions on celluloid

My new website!

Posts: 2546 | Location: LaLa Land, USA | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Game Wizard
posted Hide Post
I actually did the opposite for LOTR and HP. I only started reading each series after the first movies came out and by that point I just started reading them so I knew what would happen.

Still, you make an excellent point though about enjoying the books separately from their adaptation. They are in essence separate entities that are apart of a single whole, or to put it another way they are a single face on a giant crystal that is the story. One facet is the book, another can be the tv series, a movie, a comic book, a fan-fiction. No matter how many facets there are, they all in their own way try to represent the whole.

Enough of that though, cause I just saw the ending for this weeks episode and even though I knew what was coming it still sucked to see. It is one thing to read it and try and imagine it in your head but to see that portrayed visually is a whole different thing, which goes back to my different facets analogy...see I made it work some how. **GIANT SPOILER STOP READING NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!***Ned dies, even though he was supposed to be given the right to take the Black and join the Nights Watch, Joffery decides that is not good enough and that his mother and Sansa are "soft-hearted" so he has Ned killed.

I like this episode despite the sad bit. It helps give even more character moments, especially between Tyrion and Bronn and now Shae who is a terrific actress playing her too. Who ever wrote the episode decided to add a little more spice to her character. This show has done a wonderful job of adding changes that work to help the show instead of changes that make no sense and only hurt the show and the fans of the book.

Can not wait for the season finale when we get to see the rise of Dragons...*checks to see if dreaming* Nope all these good things are really happening.

--------~~~~~~~*******
When Life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make Life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What the hell am I supposed to do with these!? Demand to see Life's manager! Make Life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Posts: 275 | Location: Somplace where there is cake.....What do you mean the cake is a lie? | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pkitty
posted Hide Post
SPOILY:

Zombiefied Khal should be interesting....I don't think that we're going to see dragons next Sunday...probably cracking eggs for a cliff hanger.

Illusions on celluloid

My new website!

Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
How long are we gonna have to wait for HBO to put out the next book? Are they going by the books, actually, since after the next book things get so complicated that he needed to break it up into chunks and add another book.

My problem with adaptations from books is that I've already read the books, for the most part. Read some of them ages ago. And so when they adapt them so much that they actually change the story, yeah, it's really annoying.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time avant garde shrubbery inspector who breaths fire and lets out a mighty YAHR!
Picture of ladykatza
posted Hide Post
I finally watched this as my roommate acquired it for me. O.M.G. I'm sucked in. CAVEAT: I have NOT read the books. I tried to and couldn't get into them at all. Found out later that the author was originally a TV writer and got disgusted since no one would do what he wanted.

But seriously I have to wait till APRIL for the next season?! AAAHHH!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Discordian Priestess, Keeper of the Golden Pine-Apple.

Has Been Assimilated.

blog or not

Posts: 8877 | Location: ain't from 'round these parts | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Well, those of us who read the books waited *years* for the next one!

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Always the April Fool
Picture of Manxom Vroom
posted Hide Post
I don't have HBO, so I have to wait for this to be released on DVD...which is actually a good thing, since I can watch all of the episodes in a marathon session if the story grabs me.

Posts: 10542 | Location: Detroit Rock City | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Starving artist doctor - well, not starving, but if you happen to have an extra biscuit lying around . . .
Picture of Causa Varmilly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maeve:
How long are we gonna have to wait for HBO to put out the next book? Are they going by the books, actually, since after the next book things get so complicated that he needed to break it up into chunks and add another book.

My problem with adaptations from books is that I've already read the books, for the most part. Read some of them ages ago. And so when they adapt them so much that they actually change the story, yeah, it's really annoying.

They're filming the second series from the 27th, I know that - the extras call just went out. They seem to have managed to impress upon HBO that they won't get girls of Hispanic appearance in this vicinity, this time, too. That was the funniest extras call ever.

------------------------------
You are a Leprechaun. I'm not even sure what you are. Whiskey-soaked reports from your baffling Isle of Ire raise more questions than they answer. Are you a dwarf? Where's your pickax? If you're an elf, why don't you cobble? You'd think with all your gold, you could invest in some land, perhaps a title, and improve your station. Instead, you hide it in meteorologically-determined locations. You're getting killed on inflation, little friend!

Posts: 9036 | Location: Belfast, NI | Registered: April 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vampiric Scottie-bat trainer

posted Hide Post
I finished book 1 and couldn't resist sneaking a peek into the next one (I only wanted to know what happens to Arya!).
Now I'm halfway through book 2.
So much for my good intentions and patience...

Posts: 8222 | Location: Bärlin | Registered: October 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time avant garde shrubbery inspector who breaths fire and lets out a mighty YAHR!
Picture of ladykatza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maeve:
Well, those of us who read the books waited *years* for the next one!

Razz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Discordian Priestess, Keeper of the Golden Pine-Apple.

Has Been Assimilated.

blog or not

Posts: 8877 | Location: ain't from 'round these parts | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Manxom Vroom:
I don't have HBO, so I have to wait for this to be released on DVD...which is actually a good thing, since I can watch all of the episodes in a marathon session if the story grabs me.

Ditto.

shooting moonbeams out of her a(censored)e.
~Joe

Posts: 24418 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Game Wizard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ceridwen:
I finished book 1 and couldn't resist sneaking a peek into the next one (I only wanted to know what happens to Arya!).
Now I'm halfway through book 2.
So much for my good intentions and patience...

I know what you mean, I sometimes tell myself I will only read a chapter or two before I go to bed but each chapter becomes more compelling then the last, suddenly I'm staring at a clock that use to say 11 pm and now says 2 am and I wonder how that happened?

I usually end up finishing a book that way...and then had a college class in the morning and have to be up around 5:30-6:00 in them morning for my carpool but that is a whole other issue.

--------~~~~~~~*******
When Life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make Life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What the hell am I supposed to do with these!? Demand to see Life's manager! Make Life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Posts: 275 | Location: Somplace where there is cake.....What do you mean the cake is a lie? | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
here
Picture of The Boy™ PhD
posted Hide Post
New Comcast subscribers get HBO free for three months. Fortunately, we waited until Season 1 was done before moving here, so I got to see in on VOD.

Watched it in one sitting. Literally, I sat down at lunch and finished it by bedtime.

I wish I could space out my three free months by use. So far I've used about half a day of it.

Posts: 2813 | Location: Penn State University | Registered: May 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is in perfect karmic alignment
Picture of Punkyfins
posted Hide Post
Simply riveting and yet another reason (as if we needed another) to fall in love with the awesome Peter Dinklage. He makes Tyrion, one of my least-favorite characters in the book, one of my favorite characters on the show.

Sean Bean is beautiful in this. It's a lovely part, but he really makes Stark's almost film-noirish destiny sting.
Miss Turner also manages to make the (to me) truly unsympathetic character Sansa understandable and moving in her naivete.
And a truly fearless turn by mr. Gleeson as Joffrey, the very very youthful but deeply frightening villain of the piece.

Mr. Harington as Jon i had to get used to a little. But he's a great choice as he brings a youthful streak to the role i'd missed in the books. Which does help a lot with the character, which was written a little one-sidedly i feel.

I'll have to get into this in a little more detail later, as the show's so chock-full of lovely moments i might just have to see the whole thing again when i'm finished. Loved every single episode so far.

-------------------
Blog: Room with a view.

~You are a *Taverner*.
Sometimes patrons want to go where everybody knows their names, though it helps when half of them are named John. When people want to celebrate, or commiserate, they gather to your establishment. You provide the atmosphere, the warmth, rum, and even an ear to bend. Did I mention the rum? Years before the language will be mangled with terms like facilitator and networking and interpersonal communication, you've overseen it all, and broken up a few bar fights, to boot.~
-Royko

Posts: 8667 | Location: Just north of Earth | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is huge in Japan
Picture of Crow Girl
posted Hide Post
Wow. I wish I had these skills:

GoT Theme cover

Posts: 6977 | Location: Fahrvergnügen | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
oh, that was brilliant!

I would love to have the song from the series and play it on my ipod, does anyone know if it's been released yet?

is huge in Japan
Picture of Crow Girl
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6977 | Location: Fahrvergnügen | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post