Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    HBO's Game of Thrones (*WARNING* Spoilers are a possible)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HBO's Game of Thrones (*WARNING* Spoilers are a possible)
 Login/Join

needs a blanket very badly. The better to "yahr" you.
Picture of Alinda, the lost girl in long stockings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeZee:
quote:
Originally posted by Manxom Vroom:
I don't have HBO, so I have to wait for this to be released on DVD...which is actually a good thing, since I can watch all of the episodes in a marathon session if the story grabs me.

Ditto.
Well, I marathoned and it still left me reeling. I'll probably have to read the books to quench my thirst.

"If you are going to get anywhere in life you have to read a lot of books." Roald Dahl
"I still love the book-ness of books, the smell of books: I am a book fetishist - books to me are the coolest and sexiest and most wonderful things there are." Neil Gaiman
"Even so, there is no excuse for putting pineapple on pizza." Terry Pratchett

Have you fed your adorable, lovable and huggable lost girl lately?
"Continued exposure to the Lost Girl's avatar causes people to forget how to count and to repeat things." Joe_3Heads

I obey the Alaura
High Priestess in the Alaurian Movement

Posts: 9940 | Location: under a big red blanket, somewhere in milano, italy, europe, earth | Registered: September 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Game Wizard
posted Hide Post
I've read the books before but only from checking them out from the library and sometimes I get them dog eared or pages falling out or for some reason written on, with just scratches of pencil or pen.

So I ordered the first 4 books in a nice paperback box set off Amazon for close to $20 plus Bioshock 2 for $10 so I could get free shipping.

Best $30 I ever spent. They have the nice new updated cover for paperbacks and the box has covers from the show with Sean Bean as Ned on one side and (I forget her name, Emily Clarke I think) who plays Daenarys on the other.

Now I just need to wait for Dance of Dragons to come out on paperback so I can keep the books consistent and I don't have enough space left on my shelves for a hardcover version.

--------~~~~~~~*******
When Life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make Life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What the hell am I supposed to do with these!? Demand to see Life's manager! Make Life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Posts: 275 | Location: Somplace where there is cake.....What do you mean the cake is a lie? | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I am re-reading them on my Nook and I'm only on book #3. Not really looking forward to slogging through that and #4 in less than a week until the next one is released, so I will likely buy/download the new one, read that, go back to where I left off and then finish re-reading everything.

I really liked the HBO series. I keep trying to get my husband interested, but he just won't budge.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vampiric Scottie-bat trainer

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Game Wizard:
I ordered the first 4 books in a nice paperback box set off Amazon for close to $20 plus Bioshock 2 for $10 so I could get free shipping.

Best $30 I ever spent. They have the nice new updated cover for paperbacks and the box has covers from the show with Sean Bean as Ned on one side and (I forget her name, Emily Clarke I think) who plays Daenarys on the other.

That's the same edition I have! Only I got it for free as a bonus from work. Big Grin

Posts: 8222 | Location: Bärlin | Registered: October 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Game Wizard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ceridwen:
quote:
Originally posted by Game Wizard:
I ordered the first 4 books in a nice paperback box set off Amazon for close to $20 plus Bioshock 2 for $10 so I could get free shipping.

That's the same edition I have! Only I got it for free as a bonus from work. Big Grin

*stares at screen with jaw dropped in disbelief*
LUCKY!! Oh well, I still got a good deal as they are around $10 apiece for the paperback copies and now I just need to wait for the paperback copy of Dance.

--------~~~~~~~*******
When Life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make Life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What the hell am I supposed to do with these!? Demand to see Life's manager! Make Life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Posts: 275 | Location: Somplace where there is cake.....What do you mean the cake is a lie? | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't. Blink.
Picture of Ava
posted Hide Post
hey - I don't watch but I saw this and thought of this thread:
NPR with George R.R. Martin

-------------------------------

“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” — Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1870 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: December 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
Game of Thrones! Joy! Will come up for air in about 10 hours. Smile

Posts: 2627 | Location: Manila | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
Ok doneA friend had the series but hadn't watched it, got that and lent him the novels.

Peter Dinklage is awesomeness. When I heard of the series, I thought, damn I hope they get Tyrion right, he's my favorite character.

Jaime and Jory's doorway scene was amazing, stands out for me as one of the best moments in the series so far.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Manila | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Starving artist doctor - well, not starving, but if you happen to have an extra biscuit lying around . . .
Picture of Causa Varmilly
posted Hide Post
Work boat trip last week, passing the Paint Hall:
quote:
Guide: And that's where they're filming that Game of Thrones thing, see the big wolfy dog, there?
Intern #2: GHOST! THAT'S GHOST!!!!

------------------------------
You are a Leprechaun. I'm not even sure what you are. Whiskey-soaked reports from your baffling Isle of Ire raise more questions than they answer. Are you a dwarf? Where's your pickax? If you're an elf, why don't you cobble? You'd think with all your gold, you could invest in some land, perhaps a title, and improve your station. Instead, you hide it in meteorologically-determined locations. You're getting killed on inflation, little friend!

Posts: 9036 | Location: Belfast, NI | Registered: April 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is in perfect karmic alignment
Picture of Punkyfins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Peter Dinklage is awesomeness. When I heard of the series, I thought, damn I hope they get Tyrion right, he's my favorite character.

I'm hoping he'll win that emmy. Consistently awesome. Glad you loved the series as much as i did, ZS Smile

-------------------
Blog: Room with a view.

~You are a *Taverner*.
Sometimes patrons want to go where everybody knows their names, though it helps when half of them are named John. When people want to celebrate, or commiserate, they gather to your establishment. You provide the atmosphere, the warmth, rum, and even an ear to bend. Did I mention the rum? Years before the language will be mangled with terms like facilitator and networking and interpersonal communication, you've overseen it all, and broken up a few bar fights, to boot.~
-Royko

Posts: 8667 | Location: Just north of Earth | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Starving artist doctor - well, not starving, but if you happen to have an extra biscuit lying around . . .
posted Hide Post
He was made for that part, he's fabulous.

You are a Leprechaun. I'm not even sure what you are. Whiskey-soaked reports from your baffling Isle of Ire raise more questions than they answer. Are you a dwarf? Where's your pickax? If you're an elf, why don't you cobble? You'd think with all your gold, you could invest in some land, perhaps a title, and improve your station. Instead, you hide it in meteorologically-determined locations. You're getting killed on inflation, little friend!

Posts: 9036 | Location: Belfast, NI | Registered: April 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is in perfect karmic alignment
Picture of Punkyfins
posted Hide Post
quote:
He was made for that part, he's fabulous.

If i am to believe the gossip, he was practically the first one who was cast. GRRM himself wanted Dinklage to do it.
Whether or not you believe the gossip, though, that part was meant to be his. No-one could make Tyrion quite as sexy and fun and scathing and witty.

-------------------
Blog: Room with a view.

~You are a *Taverner*.
Sometimes patrons want to go where everybody knows their names, though it helps when half of them are named John. When people want to celebrate, or commiserate, they gather to your establishment. You provide the atmosphere, the warmth, rum, and even an ear to bend. Did I mention the rum? Years before the language will be mangled with terms like facilitator and networking and interpersonal communication, you've overseen it all, and broken up a few bar fights, to boot.~
-Royko

Posts: 8667 | Location: Just north of Earth | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
Rewatching. Tywin Lannister's first scene is a marvel. Butchering a stag, obviously symbolic but not too heavy-handed, carving up Robert's realm. The butchering looks convincingly real, made me wonder: did they have a real carcass, get it in one take? Did they have spares? Or maybe some kind of prop?

mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
Heh just watching a few episodes now

Littlefinger looked so familiar I just couldn't work out why, heh go figure it's the guy from queer as folk!

Posts: 9896 | Location: The heart of gold | Registered: July 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZoneSeek:
Rewatching. Tywin Lannister's first scene is a marvel. Butchering a stag, obviously symbolic but not too heavy-handed, carving up Robert's realm. The butchering looks convincingly real, made me wonder: did they have a real carcass, get it in one take? Did they have spares? Or maybe some kind of prop?

According to this (around 4:20, towards the end), it was a real carcass, and they didn't get it in one take. More like 50. So I guess they might have had one or two spare dead stags.

Posts: 8222 | Location: Bärlin | Registered: October 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Game Wizard
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ZoneSeek:

.....where the hell do they get that many dead stags? Is there some shop or did they go on a hunting/killing spree?

Also what do they do with them once they are done with them? Do they just have a giant barbecue or something?

According to this (around 4:20, towards the end), it was a real carcass, and they didn't get it in one take. More like 50. So I guess they might have had one or two spare dead stags.

--------~~~~~~~*******

posted Hide Post
Lot of deer farms here. Easy enough to get one if you ask. Sometimes you get them whether you want them or not, things don't have a road sense.

posted Hide Post
And as for what they did with them afterwards - I'm not sure they would have been allowed to be used for human consumption after having their innards pulled out, dropped in a bucket, and stuffed back in several times under less-than-pristine conditions.

Picture of Game Wizard
posted Hide Post
quote:
And as for what they did with them afterwards - I'm not sure they would have been allowed to be used for human consumption after having their innards pulled out, dropped in a bucket, and stuffed back in several times under less-than-pristine conditions.

Don't suppose there is any real way to properly clean them after one actor is pulling those things out with his bare hands....unless you clean them with bleach but then you end up having deer that tastes like a swimming pool. (that was a joke by the way)

--------~~~~~~~*******

Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post