Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    HBO's Game of Thrones (*WARNING* Spoilers are a possible)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HBO's Game of Thrones (*WARNING* Spoilers are a possible)
 Login/Join

knows there is no spoon
Picture of The Wanderer
posted Hide Post
George R. R. Martin has a message for all his fans.

It's funny cause it's true.

Also, if nobody has mentioned it yet, the big news for Season 3 so far is that Ciaran Hinds, (who I best remember as Julius Caesar from HBO's Rome) has been cast as Mance Rayder, aka the King Beyond the Wall.

James

Wandering, but not lost.

"You are a Knight Errant. All of the fun of rescuing damsels, and none of the paperwork." - Royko

Posts: 8394 | Location: New York | Registered: July 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
That's excellent Ceridwen!

What does he mean Wanderer? (or am I being impossibly slow?)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2723 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Motley:

What he means is-*killed with an axe to the face by an obscure character*

Posts: 32901 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knows there is no spoon
Picture of The Wanderer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Motley:
That's excellent Ceridwen!

Well, technically, it's someone putting a line by Bender from Futurama to GRRM's picture, but yeah, it's a fan comment on Martin's tendency to create horrible situations, kill beloved characters, etc.

James

Wandering, but not lost.

"You are a Knight Errant. All of the fun of rescuing damsels, and none of the paperwork." - Royko

Posts: 8394 | Location: New York | Registered: July 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
Aha. So nothing specific then. Just the "killing of characters you couldn't ever imagine being taken away from you" sort of thing. He's like that. I can't wait to see who gets it in the next book!

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2723 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Game Wizard
posted Hide Post
Next month can't come quickly enough!

Just pre-ordered off Amazon the second season. Got it for a really good deal I think.

Even better, season 3 premieres right after my birthday (On Easter of all times). So I get my birthday the previous day, Easter and GoT season premiere. That's gonna be a good weekend.

These next 2 seasons are gonna be the biggest ones of the show so far. As big as the Blackwater episode was, I have a feeling the episode I heard GRRM is writing for this season is gonna be the best one yet which is great since he wrote Blackwater too.

That is probably the greatest thing I love even more about this series. Not only is it awesome but the author of the books it is adapted from is contributing more. In the past, most authors are at best consulted a little but the ultimate final word is always with the studios that finance the thing. This, he is consulted. Allowed an episode to write per season, and he is listened too when consulted. Add in the two heads of this show love the books and have kept it relatively within the same ball park as the books.

This really takes the bad taste in my mouth I got when they made the Sword of Truth series into a really bad Hercules/Xena type show that never really followed the books at all for any real length of time before they went rouge and did their own thing.

--------~~~~~~~*******
When Life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make Life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What the hell am I supposed to do with these!? Demand to see Life's manager! Make Life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Posts: 275 | Location: Somplace where there is cake.....What do you mean the cake is a lie? | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Doughmaster
Picture of TheatreGeek
posted Hide Post
Right. Thoughts on last night's ep?

Overall, thought it was excellent (as expected)...two little things struck me, there may be more as time goes by.

1. Jon Snow's explanation of why he wants to join the Wildlings - excellent line, and true to the character, but I kinda miss his line from the book. Understand why they changed it, though, would require too much time to give the backstory of Mance disguised as a bard at Winterfell, etc.

2. Ser Barristan Selmy immediately revealing his true identity to Dany - again, I understand the reason for it rather than how it gets drawn out in the book, and they did it well. I find I'm rather hoping they find a way to work in Strong Belwas, though. I like Strong Belwas Smile

3. The writers seem to be making Shae a much more sympathetic character to the audience than she is in the books... wondering if they'll change it so she doesn't end up betraying Tyrion.

~ Non-Mod-Amy, aka Amy of the Lost Ark

You are a Bookholder. To prompt, or...LINE! (not to prompt) --not to prompt. That is the question. Whether t'is nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of a bad memory, or to take arms against a sea of textual deviations, and...LINE! (by opposing) --by opposing them...LINE! (end) --end...LINE! (them) --end them...LINE! (to prompt, to correct; no more; and by a correction to say we end the heart-ache of a really terrible performance) You didn't have to give me the whole thing! I know it!

Posts: 11747 | Location: Michigan | Registered: August 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Queen of New York
Picture of Dread Captain Psyko
posted Hide Post
quote:
3. The writers seem to be making Shae a much more sympathetic character to the audience than she is in the books... wondering if they'll change it so she doesn't end up betraying Tyrion.

They're just sharpening the knife before they stick it in, I'd wager.

Also, no Strong Belwas is an absolute tragedy.

Posts: 9561 | Location: Noo Yawk. | Registered: December 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knows there is no spoon
Picture of The Wanderer
posted Hide Post
I have some slight hope that they'll introduce Belwas as a freed fighting slave, although given the way the show tends to generally tone down larger than life characters/events, I think it's less than likely. Or if they do, he'll be another somewhat generic big bruiser type.

And I think I see now how they're going to play the issue with Shae: she's already expressed disgust at anyone being interested in Sansa, who is indeed more of a child than anything. When Tyrion marries Sansa, she'll feel doubly betrayed, both by Tyrion officially being with someone else and because she asked Tyrion to protect Sansa from men like Littlefinger. At that point, the writers will either have her exit the show... or eventually do the full on betrayal, because she realizes that she'll never fit into Tyrion's life/Westerosi society any other way.

James

Wandering, but not lost.

is like fusion cuisine, if Canada can be seen as having a cuisine.
Picture of G~R
posted Hide Post
Re: Season 3 Episode 6.

Is the Red Wedding going to happen in this season???
And I think I agree with The Wanderer, re: the Shae issue.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
boldly going somewhere
Originally Registered: June 14, 2007

Posts: 2556 | Location: Not Honolulu, Hawai'i | Registered: October 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has a beaver that talks
Picture of supersnazz: fiend for rawk!
posted Hide Post
It seems to be timing out so that that is the season finale, and then the *other* wedding will be in the middle of the next season somewhere.

The Musics: Mr. Fusion
The Writing: CBLDF Embloggenings

Posts: 15711 | Location: A few miles west of crazy... | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Queen of New York
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G~R:

Next weeks episode is entitled "The Bear and the Maiden Fair".

Ep 9 is titled "The Rains of Castamere".

Do the math.

Also, Mellisandre as Human Spoiler made me laugh really hard. I kind of wonder if that was meant as a tongue in cheek salute to the catchphrase of the SA ASOIAF Bad Thread and it's various attempts to troll Martin and his readers.

Posts: 9561 | Location: Noo Yawk. | Registered: December 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is like fusion cuisine, if Canada can be seen as having a cuisine.
Picture of G~R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dread Captain Psyko:
quote:
Originally posted by G~R:

Next weeks episode is entitled "The Bear and the Maiden Fair".

Ep 9 is titled "The Rains of Castamere".

Do the math.

Had a moment there of forgetting the timeline of events in ASOS. >.< Forgive me, I inhaled ASOS and AFFC over a 4 week period and do not have them with me for re-reading currently...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
boldly going somewhere
Originally Registered: June 14, 2007

Posts: 2556 | Location: Not Honolulu, Hawai'i | Registered: October 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Doughmaster
Picture of TheatreGeek
posted Hide Post
quote:

Also, Mellisandre as Human Spoiler made me laugh really hard. I kind of wonder if that was meant as a tongue in cheek salute to the catchphrase of the SA ASOIAF Bad Thread and it's various attempts to troll Martin and his readers.

'splain please?

~ Non-Mod-Amy, aka Amy of the Lost Ark

You are a Bookholder. To prompt, or...LINE! (not to prompt) --not to prompt. That is the question. Whether t'is nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of a bad memory, or to take arms against a sea of textual deviations, and...LINE! (by opposing) --by opposing them...LINE! (end) --end...LINE! (them) --end them...LINE! (to prompt, to correct; no more; and by a correction to say we end the heart-ache of a really terrible performance) You didn't have to give me the whole thing! I know it!

Posts: 11747 | Location: Michigan | Registered: August 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Queen of New York
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheatreGeek:
quote:

'splain please?

Which part?

is huge in Japan
Picture of Crow Girl
posted Hide Post
All of it. I've read the books and been watching the series as well, but I am clueless as to what you mean by that sentence. Big Grin

Posts: 6977 | Location: Fahrvergnügen | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Queen of New York
posted Hide Post
Okay then, working backwards:

SomethingAwful is a forum on the internet. There is/was an ASOIAF thread. (Several actually, but the one I'll be discussing is the first. Was the first. In it's many iterations.) After AFFC was released, suffering through the long, painful wait, for ADWD, the thread festered. Anger at GRRM grew. It turned into hatred. And full of Hatred, the ASOIAF turned into The Bad Thread.

The Bad Thread's regulars developed a variety of new hobbies. Overtly trolling GRRM by sneaking Images like this one into the comments section of GRRM's Livejournal where he blogs about football and tries to sell water damaged calendars. Other hobbies included the drafting of erotic fan fiction crossing ASOIAF with Warhammer 40K, and Winnie the Pooh. GRRM was also often inserted as a character, pointing out his intense lechery and large size. The succesful googlebombing of the search term "Absolute Fucker". Making fun of Wild Cards. A lot. Relentlessly mocking GRRM's terrible sex scenes. ("Myrish Swamp"). And worse writing about food. (LEMONCAKES.)

Most relevant for this discussion however, is the habit that earned the Bad Thread the name in the first place. You see, it was called the Bad Thread after the creation of a second, separate, spoiler-free thread, which was colloquially called The Good Thread. Meanwhile, denizens of the Bad Thread, had begun spoiling readers for sport.

None of these spoilers were as popular or as potent as ARYA GOES BLIND. It became a rallying cry as potent as "Lemoncakes" or "Absolute Fucker". There were giant sparkly banners of ARYA GOES BLIND at the top of the page.

What I'm trying to say here is that Arya Goes Blind, and the Bad Thread was very invested in that fact.

So when Mellisandre went off script on Sunday, visiting Thoros to pick up Gendry (presumably eliminating the other Storm bastard at storms end in the interest of consolidating characters, and allowing for a very nice little scene with Thoros and Mel), and then issues a prophecy to Arya, spoiling her arc for the next few years, and culminating in informing Arya that she will go blind? Well, you can understand why I found it pretty amazing.

Because I have been telling people reading books 1-3 that Arya will go blind out of malice and spite for the past ten years, and HBO took my game to a whole new level.

knows there is no spoon
Picture of The Wanderer
posted Hide Post
Ok, thanks for the explanation. And that would be pretty nifty, Keith, but I think you heard it wrong. Mel doesn't say anything about Arya going blind, she talks about the eyes Arya will shut forever, which I took as a euphemism for kill, and thus presumably belonging to other people.

quote:
I see a darkness in you. And in that darkness I see eyes staring back at me. Brown eyes, blue eyes, green eyes. Eyes you'll shut forever.

Link

James

Wandering, but not lost.

has a beaver that talks
Picture of supersnazz: fiend for rawk!
posted Hide Post
Yeah, she's not saying Arya goes blind, she's saying Arya kills a shit ton of people.

The Musics: Mr. Fusion
The Writing: CBLDF Embloggenings

Posts: 15711 | Location: A few miles west of crazy... | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Queen of New York
posted Hide Post
I heard it as Arya takes on many different faces. And then her eyes shut forever.