Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    Holy lazy writing, Batman!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holy lazy writing, Batman!
 Login/Join

Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted
After watching and almost paying attention to Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, I pondered something...

How often has Hollywood given subtle or not so subtle mentions to The Wizard of Oz?
Luckily, some strange people at IMDB are keeping records and have an entire fricking list of Hollywood Oz references spanning over 75 years. WOW.

The list is ridiculous. The easiest way to search this monster is to hit CTRL+F on your keyboard,
and type in random words, and watch what stuff comes up. Here's a few:

Star Wars: Attack of the Clones
Batman vs Superman
Evil Dead II
Conkers Bad Fur Day
Mortal Kombat
Bump in the Night: Party Poopers (Yes, I searched for 'poop'. I don't like poo and it was there. Eek )
Gilligan's Island
Duck Dodgers
Hawaii Five-O
Hello Kitty

And on and on and on and EVERY FRANCHISE EVER. What makes scriptwriters feel that have to reference, copy or parody The Wizard Oz? Low hanging fruit? Rite of passage? Easy recognizable street cred? Too lazy to write something original *koff Star Wars is The Wizard of Oz in Space koff* ? Now that I'm, thinking about it, the same reference-dropping phenomena could be said about Star Wars.

I'm hungry for some peanut butter and ice cream so I have to stop this train of thought for the moment...

Posts: 32867 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smartest woman in the world.
Picture of Jocelyn
posted Hide Post
As someone who hates "A Christmas Carol" due to overexposure, I'm with you.

My Little Ponies has a "Christmas Carol" inspired episode, and I'm irrationally irritated about it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Parenthetical enthusiast.

Posts: 8092 | Location: On the 34th Floor | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post

*searches list for 'scrooge'*

Scrooged (1988)

*searches list for 'my little pony'*

SEVEN HITS. SEVEN.

EVERY.
SINGLE.
FRANCHISE.
Razz

Posts: 32867 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
oh ho ho!

It appears The Six Million Dollar Man has ZERO references to Oz, unless Kevin Smith snuck in a goddamn Tin Man reference in his The Bionic Man comic, which would upset me, because it's a great read.

*immediately after posting this message, Furious wrote a screenplay titled The League of Extraordinary Gentleman: The Americans. It cast the Wizard of Oz, Steve Austin, Ellen Ripley, Jason Bourne, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Beetlejuice, and Tony Montana. The screenplay was rejected 1,072 times before being banned on six continents. Antarctic penguins were indifferent.*

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
*snorts*

Someone that will remain anonymous pinged me asking why Ash Williams didn't make the cut in TLOEG:TA. Well, there's a lot of C-listers that auditioned for my script and failed:

- Gomez Addams
- Shaggy
- Uncle Grandpa
- Mister Furious (really?)
- Potzie
- Dib
- Benjamin Franklin ("Ooo! Look at me! I can build a stove!" Get out.)
- Ruffled Feathers
- He-Man (... your power is you hold a sword in the air, and it gives you a tan? Get out.)
- Dennis Rodman
- Cuckooman
- Tootle
- Max Headroom
- Johnny Sokko
- Edward G. Robinson
- Doug Henning
- The Situation
- Biff Tannen
- Ramon Salazar
- Fred Rogers
- Frankenberry

Whew!

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
So, the alleged plot of the fifth Transformers movie is Optimus Prime is given a quest by Merlin (yes, THAT Merlin, who if you remember in Le Morte d'Arthur also created the Robots in Disguise) to find Excalibur to restore the planet Cybertron. He will meet 70's toy/superhero ROM Spaceknight along the way. Possibly the Micronauts.

*blinks*

This could be a so-bad-it's-good flick. I must see this trash Opening Day!

...okay, maybe Opening $5 Dollar Tuesday perhaps...

Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Furious:
So, the alleged plot of the fifth Transformers movie is Optimus Prime is given a quest by Merlin (yes, THAT Merlin, who if you remember in Le Morte d'Arthur also created the Robots in Disguise) to find Excalibur to restore the planet Cybertron. He will meet 70's toy/superhero ROM Spaceknight along the way. Possibly the Micronauts.

*blinks*

This could be a so-bad-it's-good flick. I must see this trash Opening Day!

...okay, maybe Opening $5 Dollar Tuesday perhaps...

Wait... whut? I'll have some of whatever hallucinogens those writers are having.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maeve:

Wait... whut? I'll have some of whatever hallucinogens those writers are having.

Yup! I'm not pulling your leg! Hasbro wants to revive some dead IPs so they're planning using the Transformers to revive them. Disney/Marvel may get a bite of this too since they finally bribed Hasbro negotiated to bring back ROM, and the Marvel Microverse has been used off and on since the 70's.

Two other things that may make you spit-take: Captain America has been outed as a sleeper agent Nazi (worst storyline ever - I'm refusing to read it). Plus, all the screwy DC Universe re-rebooting that's been happening the past 5-10 years? Dr. Manhattan from the Watchmen appears to have been behind it.

Corporate America > your childhood