Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    Books we want as movies or miniseries
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Books we want as movies or miniseries
 Login/Join

Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted
I babbled about this on facebook, but threads get lost there, so I’m going to post it here.

The internet is not a happy place right now, I hurt a lot and so I can’t default to knitting and watching something, so I am reading. And since I don’t have Neverwhere on a device that’s charged (I think it’s on my Nook? Maybe?) I’m reading an actual book. First time in years. I think I kind of miss them.

Anyway. Recently Mr Neil posted about the BBC production of How The Marquis Got His Coat Back (delightful by the way) and it made me want to re-read Neverwhere. And yes, I know there’s a BBC radio thing and yes, it’s good, but I would love a live action thing. Yes, I know it’s happened, and that’s where the book comes from. But I would like a big budget production!

I would also love to see The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, possibly as an animated thing. (by Patricia C Wrede, if anyone hasn’t read them)

I would like a series for The Chronicles of Amber, because I always wanted to see the Pattern. (Roger Zelazny)

Any of Christopher Moore’s books. Seriously, why is The Stupidest Angel not a movie?

Stardance by Spider Robinson. Symbiotic aliens? Dancing in zero g? Yes please.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
Hi Maeve
I haven't heard of half the books you've just mentioned! *Added to reading list*
I expect Neverwhere will be filmed again one day. But maybe there's no rush because of the earlier one, in the 80's was it? Maybe?
I dunno.
I just wish they'd get a move on with Anansi Boys. But I wouldn't want it done without Mr Neil's guidance - or it may be bad and I won't want to watch it!
I have a feeling it's not his favourite book, so maybe it'll get forgotten (think it's only my fav because of the audio book)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2723 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
But, he just signed on with Amazon to film stuff and things, so, maybe there will be Anansi Boys?

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time amateur cardiologist
Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
I have very mixed feelings of books i love being turned into film/TV.

A Song of Fire and Ice (or as book one was called, Game of Thrones) I was so excited and loved it up until the point where they gave Rob an unnecessary love interest that undermined a crazy important manipulation that proved just how ruthless Tywin was, and then the whole T/A bits with Littlefinger. I thought about going back and sucking it up to watch, but then I read they cut out Coldhands, and brutalized Sansa's plot-line, yeah, could not do it.

Conversely, I really enjoy The Magicians. They have butchered and completely changed the story but somehow kept the essence in TV form.

American Gods season one, i had my moments, but did enjoy.

I would love to see the Brent Weeks Lightbringer series.

I am cautiously optimistic about Jordan's books going to series on Amazon.

Rothfuss's world with the troupe of Kvothe's parents will be interesting.

Good Omens, I am assured by the level of Neil's involvement. I do hope it is good, though the font signs in hell that Neil tweeted about a while back give me hope of amazing.

-Ivan.

Posts: 2051 | Location: MPLS, MN, USA | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Huh. Perhaps I should try watching The Magicians. I slogged through the first book without really caring about any of the characters, but the premise of the whole thing was promising. Got about halfway through the second one and just got bored. The story just stagnated and suddenly seemed very focused on all those people that I didn’t like. And it wasn’t like, oh, here’s a villain to hate, it was just, them.

I don’t know how to feel about Jordan’s stuff tranlating to visuals. I gave up on that series on book #8.

I also am a bit wary about The Name of the Wind. I really just want the last book.

And yes, I know, authors are not my bitch, but damnit, they are like drug dealers who got us addicted and then are all, sorry, supplies are low, dunno when the shipment’s in. Eventually I will wander off and not really care if they finish. Which is where I am with GoT (books)

Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
Gosh yes Maeve - bloody drug dealers the lot of them!
I often find myself wishing to find an amazing series which is actually finished, so I can read them at my own pace and not worry about one at the end being unfinished.
And I'm also wary of film/TV shows of books I love.
I think the best thing is when you're happy with the casting, and then treating it like it's a different story with the characters you like.
Either that or get a memory like mine, which means I never remember the actual story (unless it's the Hobbit or lotr or something)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2723 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smartest woman in the world.
Picture of Jocelyn
posted Hide Post
I'd love to see a Peter Grant Mysteries series by the BBC. I wonder who they could get to play Inspector "oh, I'm sorry, was that your Tiger Tank?" Nightingale?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Parenthetical enthusiast.

Posts: 8106 | Location: On the 34th Floor | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I thought that was already cast and they were doing it? Did it never get anywhere?

Smartest woman in the world.
Picture of Jocelyn
posted Hide Post
Oh, darn it. I got all excited, but it looks like it was just optioned back in 2013, and it didn't go anywhere. Booo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Parenthetical enthusiast.

Posts: 8106 | Location: On the 34th Floor | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maeve:
Huh. Perhaps I should try watching The Magicians. I slogged through the first book without really caring about any of the characters, but the premise of the whole thing was promising. Got about halfway through the second one and just got bored. The story just stagnated and suddenly seemed very focused on all those people that I didn’t like. And it wasn’t like, oh, here’s a villain to hate, it was just, them.

I don’t know how to feel about Jordan’s stuff tranlating to visuals. I gave up on that series on book #8.

I also am a bit wary about The Name of the Wind. I really just want the last book.

And yes, I know, authors are not my bitch, but damnit, they are like drug dealers who got us addicted and then are all, sorry, supplies are low, dunno when the shipment’s in. Eventually I will wander off and not really care if they finish. Which is where I am with GoT (books)

Most of the Magicians first book was an actual awkward boy's internal dialogue. [seriously, if anyone wants to understand a teenage boy, there you go, in all its pitfalls] And then it shifted and became a kindof play on mirroring consequences of CS Lewis, but in a good way. The show is quite good, and silly and well, decent. Different, but not too shabby.

Hah, Jordan. Oh lordy, i could write for hours on that series. I have hope it could work, if staged over 30 years and twice yearly seasons. And as long as Crown of Swords takes an entire season- just because the 700 page book was 3 days. Jordan fandom lead me here way back when.

Ah, the Rothfuss stuff. He actually has control. Book be damned, he is going to have a series with Kvothe's parents (aka lacklass) singing their way across his land with Lin doing vocals. How is that not awesome?

And yes, we all want Doors of Stone, and Winds of Winter, but we signed up for our addictions, knowing the pain.

-I.

edin: Read some Sanderson, Weeks, or Abercrombie to fill the void.

-Ivan.

Posts: 2051 | Location: MPLS, MN, USA | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but I signed up for the wait for Rothfuss because he stated, oh all three are written! The last two just need edited! Honest! And when I started GRRM there were already three huge books, of a proposed seven.

I just want my lies to be complete, in book form.

Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
So say we all (minus the awful last season of that show.) Smile

-Ivan.

Tori lookalike contest winner, 2001
Picture of Ophelia's Vengeance
posted Hide Post
Will you all be watching the GoT prequel series? (The first volume book drops next week. Wish it were a well-edited Winds of Winter, though I'll be happy to get more of the Targaryn backstory all the same.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The World's End.. as Sims!

Posts: 12489 | Location: Bowie's Pants | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is huge in Japan
Picture of Crow Girl
posted Hide Post
(The Strange Case of) The Alchemist’s Daughter is apparently coming to TV ...

... via the CW.

I’m conflicted.

Posts: 6977 | Location: Fahrvergnügen | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Apparently they made an Artemis Fowl movie? I had no idea this was in the works.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wXlBep9uFjI

Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ophelia's Vengeance:
Will you all be watching the GoT prequel series? (The first volume book drops next week. Wish it were a well-edited Winds of Winter, though I'll be happy to get more of the Targaryn backstory all the same.)

Maybe? I'll give them a go. I do have Fire and Blood on my shelf to read once i get through Cook's Black Company (that has been an interesting read... i think i have a very fraught love/hate for Lady and Croaker.)

edin: I bought the massive ebook omnibus of all Black Company aside from the one that just came out.

-Ivan.

posted Hide Post
I started Fire & Blood. It's pretty good so far, but not something I find myself wanting to read through in one go like I would a novel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 12489 | Location: Bowie's Pants | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
Fire and Blood is next,

Currently reading my guilty, sci-fi, military, soap, Honor Harrington book right now. Weber hit his Jordan moment about 5 books ago. Still hopeful he will be able to get out of it, but 500 pages in signs are currently pointing to no....

Jordan moment: When an Author builds a universe so large and in depth that after multiple books, the story grows so large that the next book must needs to delve into the details of every story line that it ends up so character driven and plot heavy that when every story line is referenced, lasts one week in book timeline. And then the next X number of books are trying to get out of the well of character overload despair.

-Ivan.

posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good escape read. My copy of the latest trade of Papergirls arrived yesterday. Can't wait to dive in!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ophelia's Vengeance:
Sounds like a good escape read. My copy of the latest trade of Papergirls arrived yesterday. Can't wait to dive in!

Will have to try to find that and check it out. Why are trade comic collections so damn much harder to find vs used books? Llama tripped me to Fable quite a few years ago, but it is damned hard to find. ugh.

-Ivan.