Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    When the real world reminds you of the Board
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 56
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When the real world reminds you of the Board
 Login/Join

Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted
I was driving to work this morning and there in front of me was an SUV with "OOK OOK" for its license plates Smile I was expecting monkeys to be bouncing around in it.

Anybody else have pretty ordinary (or not so) experiences that make them think immediately of the Board or a fellow WEer?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22785 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
particle metaphysicist
Picture of Melancolí­a: Hunter Writer
posted Hide Post
I guess the only muundane thing that reminds me of the Board is the word "we", specially if it goes capitolized, but then, you don't get to see that word too often on Spanish countries, anyway, therefore it's much easier to me to associate it with WE than the pronoun.

God is everywhere, except within us, so we can look for Him, and find Him.

- Reverend Esau Senn
, Butterfly Wings (my ongoing novel)

Posts: 6590 | Location: The southern end of the world | Registered: September 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
really is wicked
Picture of St.Barbarella
posted Hide Post
Many many things that at present, I can't remember but make me go:

"W00t!!!"

or

"Oh god, that's such a *insert board member* thing to say."

Where in anyone sitting next to me will give me strange looks and wonder what I'm talking about and my flatmate will reply: "Is that one of those Neil's End freaks?"

-----------------------------

St.Barbarella:
Sexy Tart.
Buys Ale, Reads Books, And Really Enjoys Leaving Lovers Aching - JP

yes, University is all about incontinence - Mythos

You are a Tradesman. Long before labor unions, your guilds were powerful enough to make a free-market capitalist run away screaming. Who controls the British Crown? Who keeps the metric system down? You do, you do.

Posts: 11561 | Location: ooop norrff | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assistant *fwap*er
Picture of Giabow
posted Hide Post
Tee hee. Neil's End. That makes me smile.

The only really sane person in there is Igor, and possibly the turnip. And I'm not so sure about the turnip.
~~ Terry Pratchett

Posts: 25462 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
I can't walk down the salad dressing aisle in the grocery and see ranch dressing without thining of Amypata.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22785 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JP:
...and see ranch dressing without thining of Amypata.

Must be Ranch Light...

As I'll be seeing a half dozen boadians in a few days, this whole reality vs board thing just makes no sense to me at all

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*102 gold stars*
Picture of Cavenagh
posted Hide Post
I think it'll be more disturbing when the board reminds you of reality

Hermits have no peer pressure

Posts: 8095 | Registered: April 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahr, fear the power of the elf-man!
Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post
Everytime I see a red balloon.

Chad Johnson of the Bengals(NFL football team) makes me think of Chad the Lad. Smile

------------------------------
Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Posts: 15884 | Location: The Cenotaph road and Oh-Hi-Oh | Registered: October 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
The dudes in Corpse Bride who yelled out "HUZZAH!" I laughed.

Posts: 37699 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the Wicked Little Critta
Picture of Mr. Chadtastic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lan Martak:
Everytime I see a red balloon.

Chad Johnson of the Bengals(NFL football team) makes me think of Chad the Lad. Smile

Chad Johnson's getting me some points in fantasy football. Go Bengals!

Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery. Additional handling charges may be required.

Posts: 6928 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: November 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JP:
I was driving to work this morning and there in front of me was an SUV with "OOK OOK" for its license plates Smile I was expecting monkeys to be bouncing around in it.

Anybody else have pretty ordinary (or not so) experiences that make them think immediately of the Board or a fellow WEer?

are you saying we are all monkeys?

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20595 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
could be the Video who killed the Radio star.
Picture of fluffyllama
posted Hide Post
are you saying we aren't?

lookit me, i'm postin! wheee!

Posts: 14237 | Location: Mpls, MN USA | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
lives deliberately
Picture of Alaura
posted Hide Post
Well, whenever I watch Firefly I think of the board, but thats mainly because the board got me into Firefly in the first place. However, Kaylee really reminds me of Llama.

And of course I always report real-life Llama sightings on the board.

But, as I repeatedly try to explain to TLOML, the Board IS real life. Its not as though I'm interacting with a bunch of highly-developed NPCs (right? RIGHT?!)...you all are real people, and our community is just as valid as the ones we form at school or at work. So, like GMZOe, the line between Real Life and Board Life is a very faint one.

ego forceps ergo ego forceps

"Chives?"�
"Yes, m'lud?"�
"Is that Ms Ephemera hovering over the croquet lawn?"�
"Indeed m'lud. She's marshalled all the haggle-dans. Missy-twigs and vale-nymphs from Claypole Woods. Apparently she intends to tear this house down and dance on the ruins."�
"Well, Chives, you'd better start the car, what? And pack my tennis things too"�
--- Joe 3Heads

Posts: 11426 | Location: In a perpetual state of Ohio | Registered: December 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Biscuitkeeper
Picture of Matt Cable
posted Hide Post
I'm reminded of the board more often than I'd like to admit.

Everytime I drive by a llama farm.

I own pants with Brian from Family Guy. That's Denver.

Red balloons.

I fear pickles will never look the same.

Posts: 10767 | Location: Michigan | Registered: April 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alaura Ephemera:
Its not as though I'm interacting with a bunch of highly-developed NPCs (right? RIGHT?!)

*rolls Bluff check*
Of COURSE not.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
really is wicked
Picture of St.Barbarella
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alaura Ephemera:
Well, whenever I watch Firefly I think of the board, but thats mainly because the board got me into Firefly in the first place. However, Kaylee really reminds me of Llama.

And of course I always report real-life Llama sightings on the board.

But, as I repeatedly try to explain to TLOML, the Board IS real life. Its not as though I'm interacting with a bunch of highly-developed NPCs (right? RIGHT?!)...you all are real people, and our community is just as valid as the ones we form at school or at work. So, like GMZOe, the line between Real Life and Board Life is a very faint one.

I agree

St.Barbarella:
Sexy Tart.
Buys Ale, Reads Books, And Really Enjoys Leaving Lovers Aching - JP

yes, University is all about incontinence - Mythos

You are a Tradesman. Long before labor unions, your guilds were powerful enough to make a free-market capitalist run away screaming. Who controls the British Crown? Who keeps the metric system down? You do, you do.

Posts: 11561 | Location: ooop norrff | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Alaura:

I totally agree, especially as we all continue to meet and such. For me it's just a way of making a distinction between the various communities and circle of friends and such. It's like "work friends" and "real friends". For me, saying Board Life and Real Life doesn't diminish the Board at all, it's not a secondary thing, it's just a way of referring to us all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Pirate/Zombie/Hero
Picture of Jena
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GMZoe:
As I'll be seeing a half dozen boadians in a few days, this whole reality vs board thing just makes no sense to me at all

Whassa boadian??

Razz

Vice-Chancellor of the Heartless Bitch Council

Damn peer pressure

Posts: 5271 | Location: Sacramento, CA, US | Registered: August 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
You know, it's a wossname. A thingie. No wait, that's not right.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Saleperson for Erinyes, Inc.
Picture of G0ddessC0mplex
posted Hide Post
I agree that everytime I see something llama related, I think of fluffyllama. There's this new cartoon on Cartoon Network called Camp Lazlo that has a llama as one of the main characters. I immediately went to the Internet to find a pic for llama, but it was such a new show there were no pics yet.

Just checked again. Yep, no llama pics.

~~~~~~~~~~
A friend is someone who will bail you out of jail. A best friend is someone who's sitting beside you saying, "That was f***ing awesome!"
~~~~~~~~~~
Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
~~~~~~~~~~
www.geocities.com/g0ddessc0mplex/
www.myspace.com/g0ddessc0mplex
http://people.tribe.net/g0ddessc0mplex

Posts: 2428 | Location: The Road Less Traveled | Registered: November 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post