Find
Notify
Tools

Science lounge
 Login/Join

mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted
It has been mentioned a couple of times, that it might be nice to have a thread devoted to disscusion about various sciency things, or where you can ask a random question and maybe you will get an answer.

And i'm bored, and my brain is stagnating Big Grin.

*places comfortable chairs and sofa's around the room, starts unpacking books and placing them on the wooden shelves that stretch from floor to ceiling along the back wall*

*starts unloading fossils into the storage tray cabinet over in the corner*

Posts: 9896 | Location: The heart of gold | Registered: July 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
Ooooo, fossils!

*starts sorting the trilobites by size and prettiness*

Is medicine a valid topic for the lounge? Heard something interesting about syphilis this morning.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48716 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
lives deliberately
Picture of Alaura
posted Hide Post
I hope it wasn't "Jim, you have syphilis."

ego forceps ergo ego forceps

"Chives?"�
"Yes, m'lud?"�
"Is that Ms Ephemera hovering over the croquet lawn?"�
"Indeed m'lud. She's marshalled all the haggle-dans. Missy-twigs and vale-nymphs from Claypole Woods. Apparently she intends to tear this house down and dance on the ruins."�
"Well, Chives, you'd better start the car, what? And pack my tennis things too"�
--- Joe 3Heads

Posts: 11426 | Location: In a perpetual state of Ohio | Registered: December 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
CSI-type ballistics question: Can they match shot to a specific shotgun?

*builds a fort out of books, hides*

Posts: 2627 | Location: Manila | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
totally valid topic! i think anything scientific is good, covers a whole bunch of fun stuff, good grief i'm a geek Wink

I saw a really great documentary on syphilis a while ago.

Posts: 9896 | Location: The heart of gold | Registered: July 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
Well, for a good long while, an increase in dangerous sexual practices was seen as being chiefly responsible for increases in reports of syphilis, but now it looks like just about every ten years, there's a spike, then a sharp decline, and then a spike. It seems that there's some sort of resistance or immunity that builds up, then fades away. Still sexually transmitted.

- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 48716 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZoneSeek:

Shot, not so much. They can match it to brands, and in some cases to a specific shotgun, based on chemical compounds and the like, but since shot casings are pretty well destroyed in firing, they're hard to trace. Slugs are easier to trace, but still tricky.

- G.K. Chesterton

Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
Ten-year period? Maybe it's the sunspots. You could do a secret history conspiracy bit on that.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Manila | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZoneSeek:

*builds a fort out of books, hides*

I'm not sure how accurate they can get with that, different guns do produce different shot patterns, and so they can to a certain extent, whether they can determine an individual shotgun i dunno. (one of my flatmates was a forensics major)

Oh hang on do you mean an individual pellet?

*looks blank*

no idea on that one.

mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dweller in Darkness:
Well, for a good long while, an increase in dangerous sexual practices was seen as being chiefly responsible for increases in reports of syphilis, but now it looks like just about every ten years, there's a spike, then a sharp decline, and then a spike. It seems that there's some sort of resistance or immunity that builds up, then fades away. Still sexually transmitted.

Thats pretty funky, the american indians did have a natural strain of syphilis that was non contagious and non damaging, similar to the relationship between cow pox and small pox.

Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
The science in CSI is better than in X Files, but there's still some goofy science and some straight urban legend in there. The meat bullet thing doesn't work. It's an old CIA legend, some sort of projectile that will melt or sublimate afterwards and not leave a trace. But anything frozen will either shatter or melt when the gunpowder ignites.

mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
must have missed that episode..

what always cracked me up was the speeds, DNA sequencing in one day...

bwahahahaha

good luck with that!

needs a blanket very badly. The better to "yahr" you.
Picture of Alinda, the lost girl in long stockings
posted Hide Post
that wouldn't be noticed here in italy, because the characters are american. and everyone in italy knows that the americans are super-fast-and-efficient. Big Grin

"If you are going to get anywhere in life you have to read a lot of books." Roald Dahl
"I still love the book-ness of books, the smell of books: I am a book fetishist - books to me are the coolest and sexiest and most wonderful things there are." Neil Gaiman
"Even so, there is no excuse for putting pineapple on pizza." Terry Pratchett

Have you fed your adorable, lovable and huggable lost girl lately?
"Continued exposure to the Lost Girl's avatar causes people to forget how to count and to repeat things." Joe_3Heads

I obey the Alaura
High Priestess in the Alaurian Movement

Posts: 9940 | Location: under a big red blanket, somewhere in milano, italy, europe, earth | Registered: September 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of squee
posted Hide Post
Shotguns have a smooth barrel, they don't have lands&grooves (since they don't spin out a bullet), so even if the shell wasn't destroyed you wouldn't have any characteristic impressions unique to a particular shotgun. Firing pin impressions on spent casings are also used in forensic cases, but that wouldn't work here either.

Posts: 180 | Registered: October 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahr!
Picture of FatPigeon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by squee:
Firing pin impressions on spent casings are also used in forensic cases, but that wouldn't work here either.

Are you sure? The base of the shell is brass, so it wouldn't be destroyed upon firing.

~ Gal-El

I don't have a drinking problem. What I have is a drinking solution.

Posts: 16427 | Location: Haifa, Israel | Registered: August 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by squee:
Shotguns have a smooth barrel, they don't have lands&grooves (since they don't spin out a bullet), so even if the shell wasn't destroyed you wouldn't have any characteristic impressions unique to a particular shotgun. Firing pin impressions on spent casings are also used in forensic cases, but that wouldn't work here either.

That's what I was thinking. But some of the shot still makes contact with the barrel, so I wondered if they could get a match from that.

Matching bullet striations to barrel rifling is an either/or, but I think matching shell casings to firing pins isn't as conclusive, it depends on whether there are identifiable features.

Composer-in-training
Picture of Grand
posted Hide Post
I hadn't heard that about syphilis before, Dweller. Interesting.

Posts: 5530 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of squee
posted Hide Post
re: firing pin impressions - I'm pretty sure they are used only in conjuction with other evidence, because (as Zoneseek points out) they aren't as conclusive.
I'm not sure whether or not the bases are recovered and useable, but I do know they aren't forensically significant because my professor gave the overall impression that in shotgun cases you are pretty much screwed unless you find blowback in the barrel or elsewhere on the gun (or suspect)....or well, if someone is being obliging and drops the shotgun at the scene.

Posts: 180 | Registered: October 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
should only be taken in the dosage prescribed by your physician
Picture of CancerDusk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by halucinagenia:
must have missed that episode..

what always cracked me up was the speeds, DNA sequencing in one day...

bwahahahaha

good luck with that!

Lab lighting always cracks me up. I wish I eerie blue mood lighting at my workplace.

------
"Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us. Cynics always say no. But saying 'yes' begins things. Saying 'yes' is how things grow. Saying 'yes' leads to knowledge."
~Stephen Colbert

Posts: 7088 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: July 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahr, fear the power of the elf-man!
Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post
*Wonders suspiciously*

Is Zoneseek planning something?

------------------------------

Posts: 15887 | Location: The Cenotaph road and Oh-Hi-Oh | Registered: October 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post