Find
Notify
Tools

Science lounge
 Login/Join

Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing the ant was named after the Institute in Finland and the rest is just poor science reporting. Which happens a lot.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48716 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
little. yellow. different
Picture of Psi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by His Noodle Girl:
New / old ant species found!

What baffles me is the name.

quote:
The new ant is named Martialis heureka, which translates roughly to "ant from Mars,"

"Heureka" means ant? Archimedes, upon making his breakthrough discovery, triumphantly shouted: "ANT!" ?
Are they sure?

Surely 'Martialis' in this case means 'soldier' not anything to do with the planet Mars. It does annoy me how little some journalists know about language, their main tool of the job.

Oh you young people. It's all tea and muffins and excitement in your world I expect.

Posts: 3195 | Location: Wolverton, Buckinghamshire, UK | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has no member title
Picture of His Noodle Girl
posted Hide Post
I'm givinv them the benefit of the doubt on "Martialis". I mean, "martial" does derive from the God Mars for whom the planet was named, so my Latin isn't good enough to pick it apart.

__
I like it maybe 63 percent!

Posts: 15475 | Location: Bouncing round in bathrooms! | Registered: October 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
I don't think it means "of Mars," or "from Mars," not with that construction, but considering that there's nothing in the species name that remotely resembles the word "ant," it's a definition that's flawed from the outset.

- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 48716 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
little. yellow. different
Picture of Psi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dweller in Darkness:
considering that there's nothing in the species name that remotely resembles the word "ant," it's a definition that's flawed from the outset.

But there's very rarely anything in a species name that resembles the English word for a bit of fauna. Ants are often likened to soldiers so I deduced that was the meaning.

Oh you young people. It's all tea and muffins and excitement in your world I expect.

Posts: 3195 | Location: Wolverton, Buckinghamshire, UK | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has a beaver that talks
Picture of supersnazz: fiend for rawk!
posted Hide Post
If you look at a listing of scientific names for ants, it's pretty clear that there isn't one latin word that they regularly use to mean "ant", so it is likely that neither part means that.

The Musics: Mr. Fusion
The Writing: CBLDF Embloggenings

Posts: 15711 | Location: A few miles west of crazy... | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
should only be taken in the dosage prescribed by your physician
Picture of CancerDusk
posted Hide Post
According to wikipedia, the Latin for ant is formica. Apparently, the tops of all the tables at my local pizzeria are made out of ants.

------
"Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us. Cynics always say no. But saying 'yes' begins things. Saying 'yes' is how things grow. Saying 'yes' leads to knowledge."
~Stephen Colbert

Posts: 7088 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: July 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
I only know that one from D & D, which has a giant race of insectoid critters called "formians."

Weirdly, the tabletop material seems have adopted the name independently as a contraction of "formerly micarta," wher "micarta" is the material that formica was formulated from. They might've been thinking of the scientific term as well, but I can't imagine why.

- G.K. Chesterton

has no member title
Picture of His Noodle Girl
posted Hide Post
Study reveals: Bullies enjoy other people's pain.

Hm. I'm not sure how that's going to help them "work with juveniles inclined to aggression and violence.”

__
I like it maybe 63 percent!

Posts: 15475 | Location: Bouncing round in bathrooms! | Registered: October 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CancerDusk
posted Hide Post
simple associative learning. strap the bullies in. make them watch videos of other people getting hurt. slap them during the process. repeat. pretty soon they'll be cringing at the thought of other people being merely pinched.

what? ethics shmethics.

------
"Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us. Cynics always say no. But saying 'yes' begins things. Saying 'yes' is how things grow. Saying 'yes' leads to knowledge."
~Stephen Colbert

Posts: 7088 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: July 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
was not written by a man named "Cougar"
Picture of smalltown
posted Hide Post
A la Clockwork Orange!

----------------
Duck...duck...duck...duck...BOOBS!

Posts: 4118 | Location: Tacoma! (Because really, who wants to live in Seattle?) | Registered: October 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CancerDusk
posted Hide Post
I've... errr... have never actually seen nor read a clockwork orange.... ::hangs head in shame::

------
~Stephen Colbert

was not written by a man named "Cougar"
Picture of smalltown
posted Hide Post
Theres an awesome scene where they use classical conditioning to force Alex to associate any sort of violently/sexually deviant thoughts or actions with intense physical pain and nausea.

----------------
Duck...duck...duck...duck...BOOBS!

Posts: 4118 | Location: Tacoma! (Because really, who wants to live in Seattle?) | Registered: October 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DK BOP
Picture of El Leprechaun
posted Hide Post
My geology teacher is not great at...teaching. Are there any good websites out there devoted to explaining geology?

Posts: 1493 | Location: Well hidden | Registered: March 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
*puts out hal's favourite food and drink under a box propped up with a stick*

*attaches string to stick*

*walks strong back behind a clump of rocks*

*ducks down*

And now . . . we wait.

- G.K. Chesterton

mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
*gets trapped in box thanks to Smaug*

sorry I've been in NZ with dial up!

Ah what do you want explained....

geology is very easy to understand and common sensey

I don't know about websites though!

it depends what you need to learn, what part of geology do you have trouble with?

Posts: 9896 | Location: The heart of gold | Registered: July 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
working on his degree in brapping
Picture of Cobalt
posted Hide Post
what's the deal with...rocks?

WARNING: the preceding message is not to be taken personally. Keep away from children.

Inactivist of the Radical Status Quo

Posts: 6516 | Location: The Diaspora | Registered: January 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
Razz

what do you mean whats the deal?

they are composite structures of minerals, which in turn are structures made up of elements

80% of rocks on the surface of the earth are composed of silicates, or a combination of the elements silicon and oxygen.

The reason these are on the surface is because they are light and the heavy stuff is all in the centre of the earth as that is how planents and form due to gravity etc.

Posts: 9896 | Location: The heart of gold | Registered: July 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did something right
Picture of Big Flinchy!
posted Hide Post
But why do they float?

And why is the earth filled with gigantic geodes?

----
My baby is cuter than your baby!

Posts: 12872 | Registered: February 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Adoration of the Modii
Picture of Masque
posted Hide Post
looking for help to make a demensional transporter.. or something akin to the "door" in the third Matrix movie.. only activated by dna code and a knock pattern..

-- Give a man a fish, he eats for the day; Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime; Teach that man to cook, and he can feed the world....
Head chef in the Realm of Procrastination and Unproductivity, Dp.u.: "You want fries with that?"
Holder for the Golden Pineapple Pin.
------------------------------------------------
If it is on the plate, its food. If it crawls off the plate; Kill it and put it back on the plate.
------------------------------------
I love small furry creatures; especially in a good sauce.

Posts: 13941 | Location: In the Kitchen, Cooking Something. | Registered: March 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post