Tools

Science lounge
 Login/Join

Sittin' at the dock of the Bayeaux Tapestry
Picture of D M
posted Hide Post
Closely related (and funny...)

---
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" - H. L. Mencken

Posts: 35359 | Location: London | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vampiric Scottie-bat trainer

posted Hide Post
Ha! Smile Brilliant.

Posts: 8222 | Location: Bärlin | Registered: October 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Biscuitkeeper
Picture of Matt Cable
posted Hide Post
I get to visit Messel today! Oil shale fossils and my company paid for my trip. (of course I had to sit through 3 days of management meetings)

Posts: 10768 | Location: Michigan | Registered: April 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
yay! It's redundant to tell you to have fun, but I will anyway Smile

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
here
Picture of The Boy™ PhD
posted Hide Post
Question about the arsenic-based bacterium. Does it find phosphorus a deadly toxin? Because, if it did, that would suck since that shit is everywhere.

Posts: 2813 | Location: Penn State University | Registered: May 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In control
Picture of Caspian
posted Hide Post
Nope. In fact it thrives better with phosphorus than it does with arsenic. So "arsenic-based" is not really accurate. It's just capable of surviving on arsenic, which is a first.

ETA: My source on that.

----------------
Never stare into a car's headlights and freeze, because you'll either be run over or shot.

Posts: 1769 | Location: Everywhere you wanna be. Like Visa. Or is that American Express? | Registered: February 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
A pretty basic breakdown of the science is here

And to be fair it isn't really a huge surprise but nice to have been established in a peer reviewed paper.

Extremophiles are notoriously hard to culture by the way, they must have selected that lake as the sampling area due to it's relatively normal temperature. Alkali environments are commonly found in geothermal regions and teem with microbes that are capable of surviving in an environment with high levels of arsenic. It's just that these microbes are almost impossible to culture in the lab and are usually identified by DNA.

Posts: 9896 | Location: The heart of gold | Registered: July 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
Thats a pretty well rounded article Caspian, thanks for the link!

Posts: 9896 | Location: The heart of gold | Registered: July 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
No Exactly Rocket Science is one of my favourite science blogs, next to Bad Astronomy on the same site.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48716 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
Well, looks like the paper's more than a little dodgy, which is a bit of a shame. Quite a few scientists seem to be dogpiling it and making some rather good points about the methology and conclusions of the study.

- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 48716 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
here
Picture of The Boy™ PhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dweller in Darkness:
Well, looks like the paper's more than a little dodgy, which is a bit of a shame. Quite a few scientists seem to be dogpiling it and making some rather good points about the methology and conclusions of the study.

SCIENCE!!! It works, bitches!

Posts: 2813 | Location: Penn State University | Registered: May 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
This got a lot of attention in the popular science blogosphere and now some of the people who originally posted, "Isn't this cool?" are going back and apologizing while others who were more cautious are posting up details as they find them. It's kind of fun to watch, science in action.

- G.K. Chesterton

mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
there have been complaints regarding scientific blog commentators on the article, requesting that only formal letters and reviews published in subsequent journals should be used to question the original paper.

It's kinda funny it's like science hits the real world. And oddly two-faced given the media buildup prior to the release of this paper

Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I heard Carl Zimmer got some serious flak from the paper's writers for his criticism.

- G.K. Chesterton

Guess what's behind door number pi!
Picture of Mystery Guest
posted Hide Post
Science proves sexy cars are sexy.
Proof.

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

Posts: 5631 | Location: no fixed address | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stole the last root beer
Picture of Mischief the Polarbear
posted Hide Post
Thunderstorms create antimatter????

seriously.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
(terms and conditions apply)

Posts: 8804 | Location: where do you think, you idiot? | Registered: April 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mischief the Polarbear:
Thunderstorms create antimatter????

seriously.

quote:
... In pair production, a gamma ray passing through the electron shell of an atom transforms into two particles: an electron and its antimatter opposite, a positron.

Energy --> Matter, or why getting hit with the wrong EMF radiation causes side effects.

Posts: 32901 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did something right
Picture of Big Flinchy!
posted Hide Post
Tiny lasers

----
My baby is cuter than your baby!

Posts: 12872 | Registered: February 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did something right
Picture of Big Flinchy!
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12872 | Registered: February 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
non-newtonain fluid on a speaker cone

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20599 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post