Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    Movie Talk about Movies
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movie Talk about Movies
 Login/Join

Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
It was a toss-up for me between Ghostbusters and Pets. I'm getting the feeling that both movies are in the same 'meh' category.

Were there any original cast cameos in Ghostbusters?

Posts: 32867 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Furious:
It was a toss-up for me between Ghostbusters and Pets. I'm getting the feeling that both movies are in the same 'meh' category.

Were there any original cast cameos in Ghostbusters?

Oh, there were a few. Smile

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Star Trek Beyond

It was fairly formulaic, which is not a bad thing, for me. I like entertaining stories. I like stories that suck me in. I like stories that show me how everyone reacts and interacts with each other. This story was about the crew and the ship and how they all dealt with a crisis.

It's also a reinterpretation of familiar characters. And so while I disagree with Spock 1.0 that because Jim and Spock were besties in that other Trouser Leg of Time that they simply *had* to be friends in this one. He manipulated that relationship simply out of nostalgia and emotion. Which is very illogical and not very Spock-ish.

But he's also not wrong. Spock 2.0 and Kirk 2.0 do play off each other really well. Kirk finally realises that he does need a family. Bones is still Bones. We didn't have nearly enough Uhura, but what we did get was integral and kept the story moving.

This story moved along briskly and I should see it again to process it all. Not sure it was worth it in 3D, so next go will be 2D.

Was it better than Into Darkness? Yes. In so many ways. That formulaic approach? It was what I expect out of stories. What I expected from the old tv series. I still think in many ways it fits better as a tv series, or something like Netflix series, but I'll take whatever I can get, I suppose.

I really want to visit that Yorktown base! It looked fantastic. I loved the camera angles and how they wrapped and looped around, because in space, up is a personal direction.

I liked it. Dev liked it. I like that there's this continuity of story thing going on: I used to watch the original on telly with my dad. Then we watched the movies. Then there was Next Gen and Deep Space 9 and Voyager and we watched all those. Then we watched 'em again with Devlin. And then the new movies came out and I get to sit next to my son and enjoy the story.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time amateur cardiologist
Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
Jason Bourne

Overall: Was a good Bourne movie, not as good as the first couple, but still a good action romp.

The Good: Social media is the devil. Surveillance capitalism exists and we live in it. Good awareness that this is a thing for non tin hat wearing/security conscious folk. Action scenes were great as aligned with all of this series (one car throwing, mythbusters arguing scene aside.), and still at their best when hand to hand. Alicia Vikander: between this and Ex Machina, I am convinced she should play every villain in every movie, except when she is the hero. She is kindof awesome.

The Bad: Cringe worthy IT for a couple scenes. I think I have been spoiled by Mr Robot. There were two key scenes I found very difficult to suspend disbelief, many more where I cringed, but two were bloody awful.

Rant in white:

Seriously? You have the ability to kill power to a grid in a foreign country but you can't kill a router, much less a f-ing 'mainframe file server'? Why the hell are your black ops files in a folder named black ops? A hacker plugs in a flash drive with black info on a laptop that is non-air gaped!? Then to top it off, they hack a cell phone to connect to the laptop instead of connecting directly to the bloody malware ridden laptop? And the malware will somehow phone home but not contain a kill switch or a RAT? ... Furi, i need a flaming head emote here.

-Ivan.

Posts: 1994 | Location: MPLS, MN, USA | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I am so sick of seeing that Jason Bourne preview, I'm glad to know it was a decent movie!

Dev and I are waiting for Suicide Squad.

Tori lookalike contest winner, 2001
Picture of Ophelia's Vengeance
posted Hide Post
The Little Prince movie was such a disappointment. Frown I want just the book parts, please.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The World's End.. as Sims!

Posts: 12398 | Location: Bowie's Pants | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Suicide Squad was... OK. It was enjoyable while I watched it, but I really have no desire to go back and watch it again and again and learn all the catchphrases.

I admit I've never read the comics, so I dunno how true it is, but things bugged me about these characters. The previews made Harley Quinn seem like, yeah, OK, crazy chick, but also completely in charge of her own decisions and like, she decided to be like this. This is her giving no fucks and just being totally zen and living in the moment. OK, that moment is pretty damn chaotic, and she chooses the so-called "bad" side, but still, she chose.

Well, this movie delves into backstories as it tells the current story (which mostly worked for me and wasn't confusing) only there are a lot of characters, so maybe that's where things fall apart a bit? Supposedly she fell in love with the Joker? This movie made it seem like he forced her and brainwashed her, but now she's all daring and evil, so that's cool. Then he offers her up as a gift to some random dude? *sigh*

The Big Bad was... OK? But the actress playing her either didn't have a lot of direction or thought that weirdly gyrating was a valid acting method to coney magical powers. bluh.

There was snarky repartee and lots of action, so that was fun. The audience we saw it with laughed and gasped at all the right bits and everyone seemed to have fun, which is the whole point of summer movies. But I'm not desperately waiting for the DVD release.

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
I've been working 'til my hands bleed (Krazy Glue is a wonderful thing Eek), so I've been renting stuff recently.

Some mini-snarks:

The Revenant
Rating of Fury: B

Gorgeous cinematography, but it's still Leo DeCaprio crawling around for three hours. THREE. HOURS.

The Brothers Grimsby
Rating of Fury: B

Yes, I just rated a movie that had scrotum-sucking in it the same as The Revenant. It's gutter humor, but I laughed a couple times.

Witch (or VVitch Razz)
Rating of Fury: C

Horror movie that isn't scary. Should have been called Being A Puritan Stinks.

The Last Witch Hunter
Rating of Fury: D

A movie with Vin Diesel, Elijah Wood, and Michael Caine in it, and it still couldn't hold my attention. I started reading a Warhammer 40K novel while it was playing. If you like weasely characters like Black Adder, pick up a Ciaphas Cain novel.

Believe it or not, I still haven't seen Avengers: Civil War or Suicide Squad. Looking forward to Doctor Strange, but that's a million years away. Mad

Posts: 32867 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Sausage Party was ridiculous and funny and unashamedly raunchy.

And I am the inappropriate mum and took my kid and a few of his friends (three boys and a girl) and yeah, it was definitely inappropriate for them to see it, but ya know what? They can likely find it pirated online quicker than it would take to buy a movie ticket. And in six months it'll be on DVD and it'll be far easier to see.

One of his friends (who I hadn't met yet) was a bit weirded out that Dev could watch such things with his mum in the theatre and Dev was all, meh, it doesn't matter. Same kid was also surprised when I started playing pokemon go after the movie. I guess other parents aren't like this? I dunno.

Anyway. The movie. I haven't laughed so much in ages. It gleefully danced on every line and gleefully jumped over quite a few.

It is not Oscar Worthy Cinema, it is funny smut and jokes about sex and racism. And drug use.

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Since I was finally free of the ebola flu I saw Rogue One last night. Didn't really care about any of the new characters since a dumbass co-worker spoiled it for me and told me they all died Mad, but when it began meshing with Episode IV i geekgasmed.

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Something else about Rogue One... the CGI still isn't perfect yet. Grand Moff Tarkin and Princess Leia looked and behaved like extremely creepy automotons.

Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Furious:
Something else about Rogue One... the CGI still isn't perfect yet. Grand Moff Tarkin and Princess Leia looked and behaved like extremely creepy automotons.

You're not wrong, but I have a feeling it will look slightly better on tv screens.

It was jarring for me, but it ended up just making it more nostalgic for me. And I desperately want to see Star Wars on the big screen again. The real version.

My son is trying desperately to get his girlfriend interested in Star Wars. I keep telling him it's not gonna happen, it's likely that she's too old.

Anyone know of people who didn't see any of them as kids who later were made to watch it and liked it?

I just really think that it's like so many childhood pop culture movies, if you didn't see it when you were eight, you're not likely to like it. Thoughts?

is like fusion cuisine, if Canada can be seen as having a cuisine.
Picture of G~R
posted Hide Post
I'm about to admit something that REALLY threatens my geek cred BUT.
I didn't actually finish watching all the original Star Wars until I was around 16 years old. And I'm a major SW fan Smile However - the Minotaur's views on movies and such line up with what you've said, Maeve.
So... it could go either way! Smile (I'm rooting for her to like them, haha).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
no maps for these places we're lost within
Originally Registered: June 14, 2007

Posts: 2535 | Location: Happy Place | Registered: October 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maeve:

I just really think that it's like so many childhood pop culture movies, if you didn't see it when you were eight, you're not likely to like it. Thoughts?

The magic of Disney is that they will retcon/reboot their franchises to attract new audiences (e.g.: Marvel). I would have your son focus his gf on the new movies, and if she's interested he can tie her up and force her to watch Episode I Clockwork-Orange-style he can slowly introduce her to the more of the StarWarsverse. There was a really good Darth Vader comic run a year ago...

And speaking of Episode I, the YouTube rumors that Jar-Jar is actually a Sith who was the polar opposite of Yoda (until Lucas crapped the bed and rewrote the character) is what I'm believing in to make the first three Episodes watchable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yy3q9f84EA

Yahr, fear the power of the elf-man!
Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post
Going to be going to see an interactive viewing of Little Shop of Horrors. The wife has never seen it. Rewatching on DVD prior to the theater. I still love the dentist song.

Posts: 15884 | Location: The Cenotaph road and Oh-Hi-Oh | Registered: October 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Watching every craptastic crapfest the Netflix has ever crapped.

You! Ye crappy D-lister! GIT IN MAH EYE-BELLY!

Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lan Martak:
Going to be going to see an interactive viewing of Little Shop of Horrors. The wife has never seen it. Rewatching on DVD prior to the theater. I still love the dentist song.

She's never seen it? *boggles* I saw it when it aired in the theatres.

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Just saw XXX: The Return of Xander Cage Rating of Fury: B+ , and I gotta be honest, it was at least as entertaining as Rogue One.

The action and pulp one-liners are so bad they're good and the plot? Erm... there's a MacGuffin and... everyone who isn't cool or cute dies? There's cyborg punchy gloves and motorbike surfing and Donnie Yen going Full Badass and Samuel L. Jackson saying things Samuel-L.-Jacksonny. It's a summer movie for the winter!

This guy was picked for "The Team" because he raves well. I'm not kidding.

It's a stupid movie. But it's a good stupid. Go see it.

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
My must-see movies for 2017:

January
nuffin, but XXX: The Return of Xander Cage was a pleasant surprise

February
Rings
The LEGO Batman Movie

March
Logan
Kong: Skull Island

April
nuffin; may have to do something "ouside" *shudders*

May
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Alien: Covenant

June
Wonder Women
The Mummy
- a reboot of the crappy late 90's series starring Tom Cruise... could be craptastic
Transformers: The Last Knight - this WILL be craptastic!
Despicable Me 3

July
Spider-Man: Homecoming
War for the Planet of the Apes

August
nuffin; may have do laundry

September
nuffin; may read a book... maybe a magazine

October
Blade Runner 2049
My Little Pony: The Movie
Saw: Legacy

November
Thor: Ragnarok
Justice League

December
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
The Six Billion Dollar Man
- Marky Mark in the red jumpsuit. If it's based on the Kevin Smith comic series this could be a VERY good movie.

Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I would very much like to see Hidden Figures, but I've been busy/sick/busy/sick. bluh.

Fury's list is probably what's on mine, except for Transformer's. I'm done with that.