Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    Movie Talk about Movies
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movie Talk about Movies
 Login/Join

Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maeve:

Fury's list is probably what's on mine, except for Transformer's. I'm done with that.

I've only seen the first Transformers movie (and I think reviewed it someplace) and -that- was awful. But add Excalibur and Merlin and all that stuff? We have the makings of something legendary.

Posts: 32867 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
I just realized I typed Wonder Women earlier. That's... probably going to be a 2am Cinemax movie. I meant Wonder Woman.

I'll watch Wonder Women too, for professional reviewing purposes, of course.  

Posts: 32867 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is like fusion cuisine, if Canada can be seen as having a cuisine.
Picture of G~R
posted Hide Post
I really want to see the new Xander Cage movie. I have watched the first one too many times...

Definitely want to see the Wonder Woman movie and Logan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
no maps for these places we're lost within
Originally Registered: June 14, 2007

Posts: 2535 | Location: Happy Place | Registered: October 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Split
Rating of Fury: B/B-/C+/C-

It hard for me to stamp one rating on Split. For a thriller, the pacing's perfect, the acting's great, they keep it up in the air whether something supernatural is going on or not, and M. Night Shyamalan knows his cinematography. The problem is the squickiness you'll feel during the climax between the protagonist and villain. I won't spoil if for you but Split deals with the subject of molestation in a way that disturbs and angers me, and this is coming from someone who likes the Saw movies.

Yes, the DID guy is Professor X. Origin story?

The movie's obvious topic is about Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID) and the fracturing of a single personality into 23 characters OR is it about a medium that is the shell for 23 different souls OR is the bad guy one hell of an actor? I'd have to watch the movie again to make up my mind about this, and I don't want to.

If you ever wanted to see a real life version of Invisible Girl from The Incredibles, here's your chance.

The movie's not bad, and it hints at something I've wanted M. Night to do for some time, but... yeah. You'll know what I'm waffling about when you watch it, if you watch it.

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
John Wick: Chapter 2
Rating of Fury: B+

Short review: a crazy shoot-em-up that reminds me of the 80's and 90's action films that I loved so much (Die Hard, Face/Off, The Rock). You don't need to see the first film to get the plot (I didn't; missed the last Lego Batman viewing so I saw this instead) and there's lots of silly gun-fu and 'How did he-...?' moments.

Fun John Woo-ish movie that'll be your secret guilty pleasure.

Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Lego Batman was awesomesauce. Total gigglefest from beginning to end.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
i WAS going to watch Lego Batman tonight but a horde of tweeners got in line before me and after 30 seconds of their stupidity I bailed out of line and rented The Bronze instead, which was pretty funny.

Tori lookalike contest winner, 2001
Picture of Ophelia's Vengeance
posted Hide Post
I'm probably going to wait until Lego Batman hits HBO or such to see it. Can't wait for Beauty and the Beast to come out in a couple of months!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The World's End.. as Sims!

Posts: 12393 | Location: Bowie's Pants | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Lego Batman
Rating of Fury: A+

"We’re going to punch those guys so hard, words describing their impact are going to spontaneously materialize!" - Batman

Yeah. It's that kind of movie. Whether you like Cheezy 60s TV Batman or SuperFriends 70s Batman or Gritty Comics 80s Batman or Weird Burton 80s/90s Batman or Ambiguously Gay 90s Batman or Animated Series 90s Batman or Grittier Yet Kind of an A-Hole 00's Batman or It Took Ben Affleck To Make a Badass Batman 10s Batman, YOU WILL LOVE THIS BATMAN. If you don't? Umm... I'm guessing you don't like Batman.

Spoiler: There's Daleks, and Batman fights them. Eek

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Kong: Skull Island
Rating of Fury: B+

Another summer flick that was released a bit early, Kong: Skull Island reminds me of a better Godzilla (the 1998 film with Matthew Broderick). Fantastic special effects with awful dialogue. The script is so weak even the characters literally say to each other "this is a bad idea" a couple of times in the movie. The cliche Ahab complex is in two of the lead actors, and to top it all off, the only person Kong remotely likes is the girl in the tight shirt.

So why the B+? First, this is the Kong you've wanted to see for some time, kinda like the Hulk in The Avengers and Spider-Man in, um,... That Other Avengers Movie Where Everything Was Forgettable Except For Spider-Man. Kong is is badass in this movie! Hear me? BAD. ASS. Best CGI character since Gollum. Yep I said it.

And second, John C. Reilly steals every scene he's in. In fact without Reilly, Kong would be another 1998 Godzilla: all icing no cake. John C. Reilly is the cake of this movie, and it's gooooood cake. Reilly's spoiled one-liners in Kong's trailer are even funnier when you're experiencing the absurdity of the movie's situations with him.

Go see Kong, but I'm warning you in advance, this film's a Camaro, not a Porsche.

Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I agree. Although I dock it a few points, 'cos it dragged a bit between the fight scenes. John C Reilly really was the best character!

Here's the thing though - can anyone name off any of the characters? At the end of the movie Dev said to me - what was the photographer chick's name? What were any of their names? Everyone took a backseat to Kong. Who was, admittedly, badass.

King Kong, Mothra, Godzilla... none of these have ever been my favourite movies. (I know, I lose nerdpoints for that) but this was fun. Not really fun enough to go see again though. So a B for me.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maeve:
I agree. Although I dock it a few points, 'cos it dragged a bit between the fight scenes. John C Reilly really was the best character!

Here's the thing though - can anyone name off any of the characters? At the end of the movie Dev said to me - what was the photographer chick's name? What were any of their names? Everyone took a backseat to Kong. Who was, admittedly, badass.

King Kong, Mothra, Godzilla... none of these have ever been my favourite movies. (I know, I lose nerdpoints for that) but this was fun. Not really fun enough to go see again though. So a B for me.

Yeah, take away Kong from Kong and we're left with a non-parody version of Tropic Thunder. I fear there's going to be a few generations of people who, thanks to Hollywood, believe that the Vietnam Conflict couldn't have happened without soldiers blasting the Billboard Top 20 blasting over the battlefield.

Didja catch the science-guy-who's-name-I-can't-remember comment that 1970's Kong isn't fully grown yet? They're setting up for a Kong vs Godzilla flick, but since Warner Bros/Legendary controls a few monster franchises, it's theoretically possible, because of the timelines, that Kong and Godzilla would not only be fighting each other, but Del Toro's Kaiju monsters and super-robot Jaegers! What a wonderful mess!

Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I'm down for that sort of wonderful mess!

Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Haven't seen Logan yet, but dollars to donuts there's going to be a scene or two where Wolfereene has issues getting his snikt up. Red Face

posted Hide Post
I saw Beauty and the Beast and really, really loved it.
My concerns about how they gay character would be treated proved unfounded and Emma Watson was lovley throughout.

Posts: 49 | Location: Just outside the M25 | Registered: October 05, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
little. yellow. different
Picture of Psi
posted Hide Post
Ooh, that's good news, for some reason it hasn't grabbed me despite how much I love the original. (actually it might be because not despite)

Oh you young people. It's all tea and muffins and excitement in your world I expect.

Posts: 3190 | Location: Wolverton, Buckinghamshire, UK | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tori lookalike contest winner, 2001
Picture of Ophelia's Vengeance
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that, Jay. Won't have time this weekend, but maybe next I'll try to catch it, as it's my favorite Disney movie.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The World's End.. as Sims!

Posts: 12393 | Location: Bowie's Pants | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Not for nothin', but if -I- kidnapped a hottie and drugged her until she developed Stockholm Syndrome and the furniture sang to her, I'd be considered a bad guy. Disney does it? Romance!

posted Hide Post
While I see what you're saying, Disney does a pretty good job of making Beauty and the Beast... not... that

Posts: 49 | Location: Just outside the M25 | Registered: October 05, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post