Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    the ALL NEW easy and yummy recipe thread
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 68
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the ALL NEW easy and yummy recipe thread
 Login/Join

Her bite actually is worse than her bark.
Picture of Ravenina
posted Hide Post
Yeah, as soon as I get my herb garden growing (this summer, hopefully) I'll be using fresh basil, oregano, parsley, and other herbs in my gravy. Can't wait! I'll have to invest in one of those crescent-shaped knife things.

Posts: 2538 | Location: Madrid, Spain | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dividethedestroy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ravenina:
Yeah, as soon as I get my herb garden growing (this summer, hopefully) I'll be using fresh basil, oregano, parsley, and other herbs in my gravy. Can't wait! I'll have to invest in one of those crescent-shaped knife things.

you and me both. I'll have to start planting soon. I have an excellent roof right outside my bedroom window. Thats where the garden is going if for no other reason than to make hte neighbors ask questions. Smile

I didn't know this was bat country

Posts: 1514 | Location: North eastern PA and at the heart of every little child... what? | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the Wicked Little Critta
Picture of Mr. Chadtastic
posted Hide Post
Okay here we go:

Springtime Vegetable Stew

Makes 2 servings

1/2 tbs olive oil
1/2 medium onion chopped
1 medium potato
1 large ripe tomato, chopped
1 cup vegetable or chicken broth(low sodium please)
1 large clove garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 tbs fresh oregano chopped
1 cup trimmed green beans
1/2 cup fresh or frozen kernel corn
1 tbs fresh basil, finely chopped
1/2 ts salt
1/2 ts ground black pepper

Warm the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
Add Onions and Saute for 3 minutes
Add the potatoes. Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occassionally.
Add the tomatoes, broth, garlic, and oregano.
Cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occassionally.
Add the beans. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
Stir in the corn, basil, salt, and pepper.
Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until the potatoes and beans are tender.

Dig in.

-----------------------------
Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery. Additional handling charges may be required.

Posts: 6928 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: November 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
here
Picture of Hooligan
posted Hide Post
Something similar to Thai noodles:

Rice noodles - prepare according to package.

Sauce (all measurements are estimates - I just mix til it tastes right):
* one heaping tablespoon peanut butter
* 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
* 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
* splash sesame oil
* splash fish sauce (optional)
* red pepper flakes to taste
Mix the above ingredients until peanut butter is fully absorbed. Sauce should be somewhere between a liquid and a paste.

Pour sauce over noodles. Add stir fried broccoli and chicken (or whatever else you want). Add crushed peanuts if desired.

Good, quick (10 minutes tops) meal...

Gac

Posts: 3024 | Location: Uncle Sam's worst summer camp | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the Wicked Little Critta
posted Hide Post
*bump* because I need to find this for tonight. I'm really enjoying all the contributions. Ever grateful to all! Thanks.

Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery. Additional handling charges may be required.

Posts: 6928 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: November 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time avant garde shrubbery inspector who breaths fire and lets out a mighty YAHR!
Picture of ladykatza
posted Hide Post
quick, cheap, and easy
Black Bean Burritos

1.5 lbs of ground beef
1 can corn
1 can blackbeans
red pepper, cayanne, and garlic to taste

in a big skillet, brown the ground beef and then add the cans of stuff. let simmer until its not so soupy.

dish out with slotted spoon into tortillas and add all your favorite burritto toppings. easy to double and keeps well in fridge or freezer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Discordian Priestess, Keeper of the Golden Pine-Apple.

Has Been Assimilated.

blog or not

Posts: 8877 | Location: ain't from 'round these parts | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Adoration of the Modii
Picture of Masque
posted Hide Post
ok I decide to shoot out a recipe that I've put in my cookbook.. even my mate likes it and he's not a big mushroom fan like I am...

Amazingly enough this is very light and filling at the same time and very frugal on the ingredients:

2 portabella mushrooms, stems removed
1 chicken breast (skinless), minced
1 small onion, minced
1 smal clove garlic, minced finely
handful of grated motzerella cheese
4 thin slices of procuitto ham (or black forest ham, thinly sliced)
olive oil
salt
pepper
Italian seasoning blend

a couple slices of Italian bread toasted.

preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a skillet sautee in a little olive oil the onion and garlic with a little salt until slightly carmelized, remove from pan and pour a bit more olive oil in the pan. Salt and pepper the mushroom caps and place in oil gill side down, until lightly browned, (about 2 minutes), turn and sear the other side for about an minute, remove from heat and let set. In a bowl, mix together the chicken, onions, cheese, a pinch of salt, pepper, and the seasonings (I have added hot pepper powder here too, sometimes). In an ovenproof pan, place the portabellas gill side up and place 2 slices of the ham end to end over each of the caps. Place half the chicken mixture over the junction on the caps and fold over the ham. Repeat with the other cap. Bake for 15 minutes, serve warm over the bread. Serves 2 for lunch, or 4 for appitizers.

Masque

-- Give a man a fish, he eats for the day; Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime; Teach that man to cook, and he can feed the world....
Head chef in the Realm of Procrastination and Unproductivity, Dp.u.: "You want fries with that?"
Holder for the Golden Pineapple Pin.
------------------------------------------------
If it is on the plate, its food. If it crawls off the plate; Kill it and put it back on the plate.
------------------------------------
I love small furry creatures; especially in a good sauce.

Posts: 13941 | Location: In the Kitchen, Cooking Something. | Registered: March 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the Wicked Little Critta
posted Hide Post
Did I mention I love this thread?

posted Hide Post
baked bannannas
(no, i can not spell bannanna)

1 bannana per person
yogurt (flavor of your choice)
cinnamon

Cut a slit in the bannana skin from tip to tip. Put on a baking sheet and in a oven preheated to 350 degrees. Wait until the skin is totally black. Remove from oven, let cool for just a little bit. Remove bannana from peel to plate. Spoon heapful of yogurt and sprinkle on cinnamon. Enjoy desert.

Posts: 1514 | Location: North eastern PA and at the heart of every little child... what? | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
ACK! Me too! This is great. Don't have anything off the top of my head to contribute, but will be skeefing off ideas this weekend... mmm~~**drool**~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22785 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stole the last root beer
Picture of Mischief the Polarbear
posted Hide Post
banana bread...

4 bananas,
4 eggs
250g butter
250 self raising flour
250g brown sugar
pinch of cinamon...

bake at 180 for 45 minutes...
yummmm

~~~~~~~~~~~~
(terms and conditions apply)

Posts: 8804 | Location: where do you think, you idiot? | Registered: April 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the Wicked Little Critta
posted Hide Post
Apple Cinnamon Quesadillas

Make Spiced Yogurt Dipping Sauce first(see bottom)
1 Mcintosh Apple
3/4 cup applesauce
1/8 ts ground cinnamon
1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
4 6" flour tortillas

1. Prepare Spiced Yogurt Dipping Sauce and set aside.

2. Combine apple, applesauce and cinnamon in small bowl; mix well.

3. Spoon half of apple mixture onto tortilla; sprinkle with half of cheese. Top with another tortilla. Repeat with remaining tortillas, apple mixture and cheese.

4. Spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot. Cook quesadillas, one at a time, about 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Cut each quesadilla into four wedges. Serve with Spiced Yogurt Dipping Sauce.

Spiced Yogurt Dipping sauce for Quesadillas

1/2 cup Vanilla Yogurt
2 tablespoons of applesauce
Dash ground cinnamon

mix together for sauce

posted Hide Post
my last creation:
what happens when you don't have enough tomato sauce left ot make pasta

Jar pasta sauce
Small container heavy cream
Basil
Oregeno
Parmasean cheese
Pasta

Boil pasta as per directions.

Heat the sauce in a sauce pan. Stir in the heavy cream, basil, oregeno, and a nice heap of parmasean cheese. Toss with pasta. Ta da!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chadster of Love:
Apple Cinnamon Quesadillas

Make Spiced Yogurt Dipping Sauce first(see bottom)
1 Mcintosh Apple
3/4 cup applesauce
1/8 ts ground cinnamon
1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
4 6" flour tortillas

1. Prepare Spiced Yogurt Dipping Sauce and set aside.

2. Combine apple, applesauce and cinnamon in small bowl; mix well.

3. Spoon half of apple mixture onto tortilla; sprinkle with half of cheese. Top with another tortilla. Repeat with remaining tortillas, apple mixture and cheese.

4. Spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot. Cook quesadillas, one at a time, about 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Cut each quesadilla into four wedges. Serve with Spiced Yogurt Dipping Sauce.

Spiced Yogurt Dipping sauce for Quesadillas

1/2 cup Vanilla Yogurt
2 tablespoons of applesauce
Dash ground cinnamon

mix together for sauce

this sounds really really good

Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ravenina:

Herbs fry outside in florida, so I'm experimenting with a newly-purchased basil plant using my oven hood light since I have limited indoor lighting. So far, not dead! And, my landlady pays for any appliance light bulbs that go out!Razz

Posts: 37699 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Roxanna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Murphybear:
banana bread...

4 bananas,
4 eggs
250g butter
250 self raising flour
250g brown sugar
pinch of cinamon...

bake at 180 for 45 minutes...
yummmm

that sounds so tasty!!!!!!!!
I love banana bread!!!
I will have to make this as soon as wisdom teeth gaps heal.

By the way, this is such a great thread!

ok confused
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thrice happy the couple
who are not torn apart by quarrels
but are held in a bond
of unbroken love which only death dissolves.
~Horace

Posts: 768 | Location: In my little hide-away paradise. | Registered: July 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Roxanna
posted Hide Post
By the way, does anyone know anything about what a skillet is and how I would know if I have one or if I don't if there is anything I can use instead?

Also does anyone have a good recipe for Welsh Cakes?

ok confused
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thrice happy the couple
but are held in a bond
~Horace

Posts: 768 | Location: In my little hide-away paradise. | Registered: July 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roxanna:
By the way, does anyone know anything about what a skillet is and how I would know if I have one or if I don't if there is anything I can use instead?

Also does anyone have a good recipe for Welsh Cakes?

a skillet is a frying pan. As for welsh cakes? no luck there.

Picture of Roxanna
posted Hide Post
thanks, do you also know what a griddle is?

ok confused
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thrice happy the couple
but are held in a bond
~Horace

always wears a tie - just not around his neck
Picture of Graffalke the Chrono-Illogical Alchemist
posted Hide Post
Oh I jave to say this Roxanna:

CUTE KITTIES!!!!!!!!

Head of internal security of the Realm of Unproductivity and Procrastination,  
Catnip Master in the order of the Pineapple.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Lost in Time.........and Space | Registered: February 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post