Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  The World's End    the ALL NEW easy and yummy recipe thread
Page 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... 68
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the ALL NEW easy and yummy recipe thread
 Login/Join

will crush you with her mighty shoe
Picture of ninjabatty
posted Hide Post
That means it was past it's expiration date.

"Don't be surprised if your son gets his butt kicked by a rabbit one of these days."
-Zoe to her mother in Baby Blues

Posts: 2684 | Location: Behind your sofa | Registered: February 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone! I thought about trying to make a really strong brew of drip coffee, but that seems more hassle, and I have to go to the grocery anyway. It sounds .. interesting. Funny I've never really heard of it, though I now have a recollection of my grandparents drinking the stuff when I was growing up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22785 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
meticulously avoids clarity
Picture of NicoleH
posted Hide Post
Buy as little as possible and don't willingly drink it under any circumstances Wink

Posts: 2642 | Location: Tronno | Registered: September 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Oh, no worries about that! We have a proper coffee pot and buy fresh ground coffee weekly, so I'm not about to subject my coffee tastebuds to something so .. mutagenetic Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22785 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Limertilly:
yes, instant coffee is when a cup of coffee, probably not particularly nice coffee, has all the liquid removed. it then becomes granules that *smell* like coffee. you add hot water to it and it becomes a liquid that seems like coffee in terms of appearance and scent, but which tastes like coffee with all the flavour taken out.

i would suggest that if they talk about instant coffee, you should use real proper coffee made *extremely* strongly, like a stronger than strong espresso, and use about, oh, double the quantity? so a teaspoon of instant coffee granules becomes a table spoon of EXTREEEEEEEEEEEMELY strong proper coffee.

That's pretty much my opinion of instant coffee. There are some higher-priced brands that are actually good, but it's usually called espresso powder or some such.

I would probably brew an extra-extra strong bit of coffee and replace some of the liquid in the recipe with the brewed stuff.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
For some cooking purposes, Camp coffee (while not bearing any actual resemblance to coffee at all) is sometimes pretty good, as it comes in liquid form and has that weird retro coffee cake taste. I think it's more chicory than coffee, though, and while it was originally invented to make drinks with, you are more likely now to find it in the bakery aisle.

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15843 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
Boozy Beezer Balls
(aka Aitapata's Hot, Boozy, Chocolatey, Nutty, Floridian Balls)

Assemble the ingredients! Light corn syrup, walnuts, shortbread cookies, mango rum, semi-sweet chocolate chips, sweetened coconut and sugar.

Lightly toast a cup of walnuts!

While the walnuts are toasting, get a can of whup-ass out on a package of shortbread cookies. The only available implement I had for this purpose was the business end of a ladle.

And then when they get to manageable sized chucks, use the nicer end of a ladle to pulverize.

Once the walnuts are toasted, you need to chop 'em up. I don't have a food processor, but I DO have a coffee grinder. I figure if there's any aftertaste, it would just be like chicory, right? RIGHT?

I've never invested in a double boiler since the need for one is so rare, so I just do the cheap-ass version:

Melt a cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips.

Whisk in half a cup of sugar.

Whisk in two tablespoons of light corn syrup.

Stir in 3/4 cup mango rum.

Combine the 2.5 cups ground shortbread cookies with the cup of pulverized toasted walnuts. Pour in the chocolate mixture.

Combine!

It didn't want to form into balls just yet, so I stuck the mixture in the fridge for about 10 minutes to harden up.

Then I figured out the trick: I greased up my palms with margarine, and the balls rolled up just fine. Roll 'em in some sweetened coconut and voila! I had some extra coconut left over, so I pushed a fingerfull into the top of each ball and flattened 'em a smidge.

These aren't my childhood rum balls. My Oma always made hers small and very hard-packed and almost sandy on the outside. These are much more loose and soft but I very much look forward to trying one out.

(I am a bit tipsy just from licking my fingers. Mmmmm.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aitapata,

Posts: 37699 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I just love that we take picture tutorials of what we're doing. Smile

They look splendid aitapata!

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*102 gold stars*
Picture of Cavenagh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aitapata:

This is not a pie Confused

Hermits have no peer pressure

Posts: 8095 | Registered: April 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
They're little tiny chocolate & coconut pies.

Posts: 37699 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
lives deliberately
Picture of Alaura
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then I figured out the trick: I greased up my palms with margarine, and the balls rolled up just fine.

*just. snarfed. milk. through. nose.*

ego forceps ergo ego forceps

"Chives?"�
"Yes, m'lud?"�
"Is that Ms Ephemera hovering over the croquet lawn?"�
"Indeed m'lud. She's marshalled all the haggle-dans. Missy-twigs and vale-nymphs from Claypole Woods. Apparently she intends to tear this house down and dance on the ruins."�
"Well, Chives, you'd better start the car, what? And pack my tennis things too"�
--- Joe 3Heads

Posts: 11426 | Location: In a perpetual state of Ohio | Registered: December 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
enlightened website user
Picture of the other duncan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted December 20, 2008 03:23 PM
While the walnuts are toasting, get a can of whup-ass out on a package of shortbread cookies.

This is the sort of line that gets me into the kitchen! Big Grin

There was a cartoon many years ago (mind your manners, kiddies) of
a middle aged guy in his easy chair,
bourbon in hand,
in front of the television, talking back to it -
"Sock 'em again, Julia baby!"

(not his real name)

Posts: 6861 | Location: darned eff I know | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
quote:
Miz Alaurluliah: *just. snarfed. milk. through. nose.*

Greased up mah balls just for you!

quote:
Mizter Duncan: This is the sort of line that gets me into the kitchen! Big Grin

What I lack in talent, I make up for with enthusiasm.

Holiday cookery part 2!:

Aitapatan Double Decker Peppermint Bark

Assemble your ingredients! You need about 10 candy canes, peppermint extract, a bag of white chocolate chips and a bag of either milk or semisweet chocolate chips. And a mug of Good Morning America for karma.

Duncan, this one is for you: Unwrap the candy canes and put them in a large ziploc bag. Whip out your girly pink hammer and whack the living shit out of the candy canes. WARNING: If you're not a renter and actually care about the condition of your counters, you may want to put a towel underneath the bag. The candy canes will occasionally splinter and break through the bag, and depending on the composition of your counter, may damage the surface. Not to mention the fact that your banging the thing with a hammer.

Get out your double boiler contraption and pour the bag of milk chocolate chips into it. Add 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract. Melt.

Pour the melted chocolatey goodness onto some parchment paper on a tray and smooth out.

Put the pan in the fridge to let it harden up while you move on to the next step. Go back to the double boiler. Dump in the bag of white chocolate chips (with maybe a handful extra if you have some available). Put in 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract. Some folks prefer to wait until the end to press the candy canes on top of the chocolate, but I just stir it right in with the white chocolate. You'll have a lot of candy cane powder from your pounding session, and I think it just looks better and less noticeable when the powder is mixed in with the chocolate. Melt.

Bring the tray out of the fridge and pour the white chocolate mixture on top of it. There will be some melting and bleeding off from the milk chocolate. I don't think anyone cares too much after they take the first bite.

Back in the fridge for more hardening!

Last year I just broke it off into pieces, but this year I'm going to try cutting them into triangles.

Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
That looks astounding (and a lot nicer than what I imagined peppermint bark to be).

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15843 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hive:
That looks astounding (and a lot nicer than what I imagined peppermint bark to be).

It's the BEST spatula-licking recipe EVER.

(I'm always a bit squeamish about cookie dough spatula licking. Salmonella.)

Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
(The cutting into triangles didn't work so well, so I just reverted to breaking them into pieces).

Final product!

Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
That looks SO good!

shooting moonbeams out of her a(censored)e.
~Joe

Posts: 24395 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I'm making peanut butter cookies at the mo, but I don't have pictures.

I can't believe amymod actually has a pink hammer. Was it bought that way or painted at some later inebriated date?

Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
Pink tools?

Check it out!

There's whole sets you can buy that donate to Pink Ribbon stuff.

shooting moonbeams out of her a(censored)e.
~Joe

Posts: 24395 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeZee:
Pink tools?

Check it out!

There's whole sets you can buy that donate to Pink Ribbon stuff.

Mine aren't the fancy store-bought pink tools. The toolbox and most of the tools were my grandfather's spares. When I moved off to college my mom painted them pink and gave them to me.